The Student Room Group

How long will it take to drop from 19 stone 5 to 14 stone?

What I look like at the moment.

Scroll to see replies

Nobody here can answer that unless you're willing to follow a specific strict routine to the dot.
😬😬😬

well fat loss=intense training (cardio, cross fit) and calorie cut, simply.

@anon6789
Depends on what you do. I recommend slowly losing it at like 2 pounds a month. (4 pounds max.) If you lose too much a month it can be unhealthy and will lead to more skin stretching. (If you suddenly lose 2 stone what is going to happen to the skin that was going around the bigger body? It will sag and will be stretched.) If you go slowly the skins should become looser and change naturally. The only thing is you may still have stretch marks where the skin has been stretched.
I lost 4 and a half stone in around 8 months. I really wouldn’t recommend doing it much quicker either, you’ll run into too many pitfalls and plateaus! But it is of course very possible if you really want to do it.
Reply 5
Original post by JDieMstr
Nobody here can answer that unless you're willing to follow a specific strict routine to the dot.

Original post by monkeyman0121
Depends on what you do. I recommend slowly losing it at like 2 pounds a month. (4 pounds max.) If you lose too much a month it can be unhealthy and will lead to more skin stretching. (If you suddenly lose 2 stone what is going to happen to the skin that was going around the bigger body? It will sag and will be stretched.) If you go slowly the skins should become looser and change naturally. The only thing is you may still have stretch marks where the skin has been stretched.

Yes I am willing to stick to a strict routine as long as I get the results.
Reply 6
Original post by Daveboi115
I lost 4 and a half stone in around 8 months. I really wouldn’t recommend doing it much quicker either, you’ll run into too many pitfalls and plateaus! But it is of course very possible if you really want to do it.

What did you do to lose all that weight in 8 months?
Original post by anon6789
Yes I am willing to stick to a strict routine as long as I get the results.

If you lose a max of 4 pounds a month then it will take around 19 months to get to your target. This is if you stay true to your routine.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by monkeyman0121
If you lose a max of 4 pounds a month then it will take around 19 months to get to your target. This is if you stay true to your routine.

Any faster way than 19 months?
What did you do to lose all that weight in 8 months?

I worked out my basal metabolic rate (calories expended by your body each day by doing nothing at all), I ate below this to create a calorie deficit and I started going to the gym. At the start I went around 3 times a week, I gained knowledge of what I was doing, different exercises and techniques. I did mostly cardio and HIIT workouts before starting to add in weights. Meanwhile I became much more confident and knowledgeable about food choices and I began messing around with my macros (proteins, carbs and fats) to suit my day and training. By the end of it all I was training twice a day 6 days a week but it wasn’t for weight loss anymore it was for enjoyment. I’m now 3 years on from that initial weight loss and I train 6 days a weights weights training and a do a couple of runs a week, I still eat well, and I’ve maintained the weight I want to be. It will be tough, it will challenge you and you will want to give up but you have to use your motivations to spur you on.

I really think 4 pounds a month is an extremely conservative measurement. 8 pounds a month is much more ideal. Between 1 and 2 pounds a week is a perfectly obtainable goal. Especially at the start when the weight will be flying off. 1 pound a week towards the end. I certainly don’t think you’ll be worrying about stretched skin at this rate at all, there were weeks I would have lost 4 or 5 pounds at the start and I have literally no stretch marks. Weightlifters on a cut may aim for half a pound a week to maintain muscle mass but you won’t need to worry about this at this early stage!

Yes, but it can be bad for your health. You can take the risk, I recommend reading some articles and researching some more.
Reply 12
Original post by Daveboi115
I worked out my basal metabolic rate (calories expended by your body each day by doing nothing at all), I ate below this to create a calorie deficit and I started going to the gym. At the start I went around 3 times a week, I gained knowledge of what I was doing, different exercises and techniques. I did mostly cardio and HIIT workouts before starting to add in weights. Meanwhile I became much more confident and knowledgeable about food choices and I began messing around with my macros (proteins, carbs and fats) to suit my day and training. By the end of it all I was training twice a day 6 days a week but it wasn’t for weight loss anymore it was for enjoyment. I’m now 3 years on from that initial weight loss and I train 6 days a weights weights training and a do a couple of runs a week, I still eat well, and I’ve maintained the weight I want to be. It will be tough, it will challenge you and you will want to give up but you have to use your motivations to spur you on.

So you worked out for 3 days a week 6,000 calories worth on top of a caloric deficit?

How long does it take to reach basal metabolic rate in a gym session? What is HIIT?
Original post by JDieMstr

yeh it could take someone ages to lose a stone and someone else around a month. It's will and determination for true fitness. Like me, I work out but my nutrition isnt perfect so my weight loss and gains is probably diff to someone who works out like me and eats right/doesnt drink.
So you worked out for 3 days a week 6,000 calories worth on top of a caloric deficit?

How long does it take to reach basal metabolic rate in a gym session? What is HIIT?

I have no idea where you’ve reached a figure of 6000 calories to be honest but I think you’re misunderstanding the concept of BMR. It’s the amount of energy your body expends daily through normal biological processes such as breathing and metabolising. So for example I worked out my BMR to be 2600 calories (just an example number) I then added on a set number of calories based on whether I was not very active at all, mildly active or very active. Let’s pick 200 calories (again just an example number) so my final number was 2800 calories. I then made sure I eat and exercised to provide myself with around a 200-300 calorie deficit each day. So on days I wasn’t working out I would aim to eat 2500 calories or so. In the same instance if I was going for a run that day and burning off say 200 calories then I would actually eat 2700 but 200 are burnt off from the run so I still end up with a total of 2500, maintaining my 200-300 calorie deficit... with me so far?

HIIT is High Intensity Interval Training. Basically short bursts of high intensity exercises. So for example one of my days would have been treadmill, bike, rowing machine and abs. So I’d have done 12 minutes on each of the three machines and then 3 an exercises. One minute walking one minute sprinting (or just running as fast as you physically can for that minute) until the 12 minutes is up. Then on the bike, steady pace for one minute and pushing it out for the next minute, again 12 minutes and the same for the rowing machine. Like I said I’d then finish off with 3 an exercises. Probably plank, leg raises and sit ups.
Reply 15
I know a ‘drug’ that would melt most that fat off in weeks, it has a bad reputation because people abuse it and don’t research it properly. People start and lose an intense amount then they forget the importance of a strict diet and that their second round won’t have results that anywhere near as good and so they end up being irresponsible and taking higher dosages and endangering their life otherwise I would recommend

things like this are great for short term, but in the long run, when you start eating normally again, you'll put the weight back on

if you want weightloss that'll last you and will be easy to maintain, you need to cut calories but, eat healthy (ie so no slimfast etc) and work out, cardio is great for weight loss like others have suggested and weight training too is great for fat burning too, it'll be a slow process but the results do start showing. I suggest getting the app My fitness pal, log calories, and start working out
(edited 6 years ago)

Depends on what you mean by "work". If it leads to you consuming less calories every day, then yes, it will work. There's nothing special or magic about it, it's just a simple meal replacement, as it says on the packaging.
How long is a piece of string? The more aggressive a caloric deficit you run, the faster you lose weight, generally. Wouldn't recommend losing any more than 1kg a week, though, so at that rate you'd be looking at around 8 months.

Use this to calculate your TDEE, then eat below that every day https://tdeecalculator.net/
You'll need to eat 1000 calories below your TDEE every day to lose around 1kg per week. I'd start more conservative than that, though, and work up to it over the space of a few weeks - maybe start with around 250 under TDEE the first week, then 500 the next, 750 the following week and then 1000 under the next week. Note that the calculator is only an estimate and you may have to adjust accordingly, just weigh yourself on an empty stomach once a week once you're down to 1000 under TDEE and see how you're doing. Note that you can also do exercise to burn off calories which will allow you to eat a little more - this will give you a good ballpark figure as to how much calories you'd roughly burn with your choice of exercise so you can work it into your caloric deficit https://cdn2.omidoo.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/full_width/images/bydate/20131121/calories.jpg

Quick Reply

Latest