The Student Room Group

feminism in today's society

what are your views on feminism in today's society?
why do you feel this way and have you always felt this way about the issue?
I have been someone who does not support third wave feminism ever since, but I do believe it was needed when we as women were not people under the law and we were owned by our fathers and or husbands.
feminism today does not focus on the issues that men have that women don't. the movement for feminism and what is used to stand for is not what it is now at all. I support having men and women being equal, but feminism is not the route to go.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by taymad
what are your views on feminism in today's society?
why do you feel this way and have you always felt this way about the issue?
I have been someone who does not support third wave feminism ever since, but I do believe it was needed when we as women were not people under the law and we were owned by our fathers and or husbands.
feminism today does not focus on the issues that men have that women don't. the movement for feminism and what is used to stand for is not what it is now at all. I support having men and women being equal, but feminism is not the route to go.

I second that.

feminism seems to be a popularity contest nowadays. it also plays more emphasis on mainstream media influencers than the average day to day women. another noticeable factor is the men bashing attitude and pedantic viewpoints that are unnecessary
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Sagul
I second that.

feminism seems to be a popularity contest nowadays. it also plays more emphasis on mainstream media influencers than the average day to day women. another noticeable factor is the men bashing attitude and pedantic viewpoints that are unnecessary

especially because of the fact that third wave feminists always talk about how they're suffering, yet they never say anything about men suffering.
it seems to me as more and more feminists today are just focusing on how they want to better woman but when it comes down to helping men with their issues such as for example how as a woman i will almost always win custody of a child in a divorce case, how as a woman i will get half the prison sentence a man does for the same crime, there were also studies on how as a woman i will get into a STEM job 2:1 than a man- they would take a males application and a females application who have the exact same qualifications and have the same relationship status and they preferred woman over men.
Also the wage gap between genders, if that was really facts, then why would they just only hire women? would businesses not want to profit more therefore only hiring woman because they pay them less? when calculating this gap they never took so many different factors into account.
Reply 3
Original post by taymad
especially because of the fact that third wave feminists always talk about how they're suffering, yet they never say anything about men suffering.
it seems to me as more and more feminists today are just focusing on how they want to better woman but when it comes down to helping men with their issues such as for example how as a woman i will almost always win custody of a child in a divorce case, how as a woman i will get half the prison sentence a man does for the same crime, there were also studies on how as a woman i will get into a STEM job 2:1 than a man- they would take a males application and a females application who have the exact same qualifications and have the same relationship status and they preferred woman over men.
Also the wage gap between genders, if that was really facts, then why would they just only hire women? would businesses not want to profit more therefore only hiring woman because they pay them less? when calculating this gap they never took so many different factors into account.

all you said is key problems that people don't realise when they use the word feminist.

it's coming across like a fad.

if the gender pay gap was a legitimate problem then there should be investigations on CONTRIBUTING FACTORS TO it. this really is not a fundamental problem because it simply does not exist as a form of sexism.

woman in today's society are not suffering because the law supports them. they seem to only suffer when other woman are involved.

for instance, body image is all down to woman, as a female I have not seen males make remarks about woman that women aren't putting out there to start of with.

those are just some things I have notice on 3rd wave feminism.
Reply 4
Original post by Sagul
all you said is key problems that people don't realise when they use the word feminist.

it's coming across like a fad.

if the gender pay gap was a legitimate problem then there should be investigations on CONTRIBUTING FACTORS TO it. this really is not a fundamental problem because it simply does not exist as a form of sexism.

woman in today's society are not suffering because the law supports them. they seem to only suffer when other woman are involved.

for instance, body image is all down to woman, as a female I have not seen males make remarks about woman that women aren't putting out there to start of with.

those are just some things I have notice on 3rd wave feminism.

exactly. especially on the point about body image, even if men are putting things out there, they all view it as very one sided where men are always the people who want something more from the woman and what the ideal body shape ect. is, but woman do the same thing to men. woman objectifiy men as much as - maybe even more - than men do. If you do a quick search on buzzfeed, the big feminists site, there's no doubt in my mind you will see something about a boy shirtless and how HOT he is, even on cosmoplation, there definitily will be something about it. for them to get upset when woman are objectified, but not when men are is very one sided and exactly how feminism is now.

also a little bit off topic but what are your views about the body positivity movement?
Reply 5
Original post by taymad
exactly. especially on the point about body image, even if men are putting things out there, they all view it as very one sided where men are always the people who want something more from the woman and what the ideal body shape ect. is, but woman do the same thing to men. woman objectifiy men as much as - maybe even more - than men do. If you do a quick search on buzzfeed, the big feminists site, there's no doubt in my mind you will see something about a boy shirtless and how HOT he is, even on cosmoplation, there definitily will be something about it. for them to get upset when woman are objectified, but not when men are is very one sided and exactly how feminism is now.

also a little bit off topic but what are your views about the body positivity movement?

yeah you're right on that, all those websites drive traffic 'exploiting men as well'. however, I do think there is a line *between exploitation/ sexism and just a mere compliment. I am not opposed to either sex expressing what they like in each others physical attributes, but it's come to a point that a small comment is blown out of proportion by woman. hence why, with the point you made about magazines, we have to now over analyse any sort of admiration to the opposite gender.

and I just think it shouldn't be like this.
that's alright. well I think a similar way to body positivity movement. it's great that woman are, I suppose, accepting their body that wasn't 'the norm' for a long time. there are some hostile elements within doing that, that I've noticed.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Sagul
yeah you're right on that, all those websites drive traffic 'exploiting men as well'. however, I do think there is a line *between exploitation/ sexism and just a mere compliment. I am not opposed to either sex expressing what they like in each others physical attributes, but it's come to a point that a small comment is blown out of proportion by woman. hence why, with the point you made about magazines, we have to now over analyse any sort of admiration to the opposite gender.

and I just think it shouldn't be like this.
that's alright. well I think a similar way to body positivity movement. it's great that woman are, I suppose, accepting their body that wasn't 'the norm' for a long time. there are some hostile elements within doing that, that I've noticed.

completely agreed on the fact that a comment definitely does get blown out of proportion.
I have somewhat of the same views when it comes to the body positivity movement, except for the fact when some girls use it as a way to be lazy, eat like trash, and never do anything active to keep them healthy. why would you want to support something like that?
the fact of the matter is, that women who are obese and not trying to get active and if someone criticizes their body they use the body positivity movement to try and justify how someone is wrong for criticizing them and trying to get them to start taking care of themselves is stupid. the people who are trying to influence the obese people to try and make healthy choices are looking out for them, there are so many health problems being linked to being obese and that's where i draw the line of how the body positivity movement is not so positive.
Reply 7
Original post by taymad
completely agreed on the fact that a comment definitely does get blown out of proportion.
I have somewhat of the same views when it comes to the body positivity movement, except for the fact when some girls use it as a way to be lazy, eat like trash, and never do anything active to keep them healthy. why would you want to support something like that?
the fact of the matter is, that women who are obese and not trying to get active and if someone criticizes their body they use the body positivity movement to try and justify how someone is wrong for criticizing them and trying to get them to start taking care of themselves is stupid. the people who are trying to influence the obese people to try and make healthy choices are looking out for them, there are so many health problems being linked to being obese and that's where i draw the line of how the body positivity movement is not so positive.

from something that went from accepting aesthetics features of many people in order to prevent discrimination has now become any person obese or underweight, scapegoat answer to poor life choices.

now we all know the basics to having a healthy lifestyle, we know it does not have to be extreme but we also know it's a choice. given this foundation, if criticism is thrown at you for being obese then you need to constructively receive especially at how costly some unhealthy lifestyles can be. yeah as long as the person is trying to help you then there should be that sudden 'let me victimise myself because I feel embarrassed'. it is such a shame because a number of woman actually think it is fine to be overweight for example because 'it is accepted' or 'it conforms to ideal beauty or fetishes' but we know it is not Okay

and actually, it goes to show how much society must play a role in decision making. which then makes me question, how are these woman inspirational or a sufficient candidate to represent their 'body image movement' group.

hope I explain myself well haha I seem to be opinionated on this
I believe I can sum up the entire concept of feminism into one joke, here goes:

What is the difference between a feminist and my elbow?

Spoiler

Reply 9
Original post by Y11_Maths
I believe I can sum up the entire concept of feminism into one joke, here goes:

What is the difference between a feminist and my elbow?

Spoiler

ahaha that made me laugh good job, I'm definitely using that one later.
our class has an English assignment, and it's about social media and the effects it has on society, we have to make a website and put everything on it, so my group decided to do it on third wave feminism. it's kind of funny because of the fact that our teacher is a hardcore feminist and we're going to sit her down and make her go through all these facts and everything and she isn't going to be able to have any say- although knowing her she's gonna end up raging.
ill probably end up linking the website once it's created to this discussion if you wanna check it out lmao
Reply 10
Original post by Sagul
from something that went from accepting aesthetics features of many people in order to prevent discrimination has now become any person obese or underweight, scapegoat answer to poor life choices.

now we all know the basics to having a healthy lifestyle, we know it does not have to be extreme but we also know it's a choice. given this foundation, if criticism is thrown at you for being obese then you need to constructively receive especially at how costly some unhealthy lifestyles can be. yeah as long as the person is trying to help you then there should be that sudden 'let me victimise myself because I feel embarrassed'. it is such a shame because a number of woman actually think it is fine to be overweight for example because 'it is accepted' or 'it conforms to ideal beauty or fetishes' but we know it is not Okay

and actually, it goes to show how much society must play a role in decision making. which then makes me question, how are these woman inspirational or a sufficient candidate to represent their 'body image movement' group.

hope I explain myself well haha I seem to be opinionated on this

super super super nicely worded. it's awesome to love yourself and love your body and i'm happy that more people are coming to the acceptance that they love themselves but you have to still make healthy choices, you can't make the body positivity movement a reason to not stay healthy.
https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/weight-management/health-risks-overweight this website really breaks down the problems people can have if they don't take care of themselves
Original post by taymad
ahaha that made me laugh good job, I'm definitely using that one later.
our class has an English assignment, and it's about social media and the effects it has on society, we have to make a website and put everything on it, so my group decided to do it on third wave feminism. it's kind of funny because of the fact that our teacher is a hardcore feminist and we're going to sit her down and make her go through all these facts and everything and she isn't going to be able to have any say- although knowing her she's gonna end up raging.
ill probably end up linking the website once it's created to this discussion if you wanna check it out lmao

I would be delighted if you would do that haha
Reply 12
I don’t think you can be feminist without being vegan. You want equal rights for women yet you eat the flesh of other women on this earth who have been enslaved, raped and then murdered. And then you buy things like cows milk, eggs etc which funds for the exploitation of female organs. If you can do that to your fellow women, you seriously can’t tell me you are a feminist.
Feminists stand for all women,

except those that aren't feminist :K:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by rnl
I don’t think you can be feminist without being vegan. You want equal rights for women yet you eat the flesh of other women on this earth who have been enslaved, raped and then murdered. And then you buy things like cows milk, eggs etc which funds for the exploitation of female organs. If you can do that to your fellow women, you seriously can’t tell me you are a feminist.

That first sentence killed me.

I love this thread.
Reply 15
Original post by AOA_
That first sentence killed me.

I love this thread.

Killed you in a good way or a bad way?😅
I think the group mentality of feminism is a very displeasing aspect of it personally.

However, I am aware it is not the only movement affected by this.
Reply 17
I feel that the number of domestic related deaths of women and sexual abuse/ rape etc that is still present within society shows that feminism is still needed including gender issues being discussed in education to help avoid rape culture and so on. Gender issues include both men and women and I feel that many modern feminists do include both and there is also a rise in men becoming more involved in such debates. Awareness is key although I have to agree that there is a lot of misunderstanding and that things have become twisted and many negative perceptions attached with feminism today which I think is a shame as it diverts attention from the real gender problems that have such detrimental consequences.
Reply 18
Original post by zombiethewolf
feminists stand for all women,

except those that aren't feminist :k:

lmao true
Reply 19
Original post by MelJT
I feel that the number of domestic related deaths of women and sexual abuse/ rape etc that is still present within society shows that feminism is still needed including gender issues being discussed in education to help avoid rape culture and so on. Gender issues include both men and women and I feel that many modern feminists do include both and there is also a rise in men becoming more involved in such debates. Awareness is key although I have to agree that there is a lot of misunderstanding and that things have become twisted and many negative perceptions attached with feminism today which I think is a shame as it diverts attention from the real gender problems that have such detrimental consequences.

Except for the fact that feminists today DON'T talk about men's issues. Go on Youtube and search up "why i'm a feminist videos," and you will see exactly what i mean. the thing is about feminism is that it is not needed today as it puts this blanket judgment that all women are oppressed and all men are not. almost no feminist advocates for men's rights or speak out about them.
Did you know that in the U.S. less than 1 in 4 woman claim they are a feminists despite 85% of women want equality of the sexes. In the U.K. the numbers are even higher with only 7% being feminists yet 92% wanting equality of the sexes. The numbers are like this because of the fact that feminism is not what it used to be, it's very one sided and people are recognizing that.
there is no rape culture in the west. a rape culture would consist of rapists getting awarded for raping someone. But that doesn't happen, rapists when convicted are punished and sent to jail. their lives are ruined. if there was a rape culture you would see rape being GLORIFIED, not rapists getting shamed upon.
Domestic violence is present among men as well as woman. most woman have very violent tendencies. for example, women are more likely to abuse their children and even killing them. it's been shown that the amount of children abused by only one of their parents came out to 29.4% being abused by their fathers while 70.6% abused by their mothers, and in relation to death by one of their parents, 29.2% of them were the father leaving 70.8% being their mothers.
Getting the how woman are violent thing out of the way, 70% is in which only one person throwing a punch to their partner is a woman. Men know if they were to hit or punch back their lives would be over, so they let this constant cycle keep going on of them not hitting or starting anything. there are over 40% of males that have suffered from domestic violence yet 99.3% of shelter spaces are for women and their children only. There's no subsidized counselling or legal care for them, and no court advocacy programs.

Quick Reply