The Student Room Group

Does anyone here actually love going clubbing?

Feel like the majority of people on TSR find drinking and going out boring. Makes me kinda sad when I see people choose quiet unis with not much nightlife because they only care about reputation or quiet halls just because they're used to living in a quiet family home. I know we all have preferences and my grandma would never enjoy clubbing either, but I feel like a lot of people on here are so quick to dismiss it. There are so many different clubs playing different genres of music. Funk, soul, rock, techno, bassline, house, dnb, cheesy pop, grime, hip hop. You don't even need to drink.
No thanks. I would rather spend my money and time on things I enjoy.
Reply 2
I'm in the boozer very weekend, but very rarely a club these days. A few of my mates have bars, so that does me on the whole.
Original post by Anonymous
Feel like the majority of people on TSR find drinking and going out boring. Makes me kinda sad when I see people choose quiet unis with not much nightlife because they only care about reputation or quiet halls just because they're used to living in a quiet family home. I know we all have preferences and my grandma would never enjoy clubbing either, but I feel like a lot of people on here are so quick to dismiss it. There are so many different clubs playing different genres of music. Funk, soul, rock, techno, bassline, house, dnb, cheesy pop, grime, hip hop. You don't even need to drink.

Not particularly.

The music is just too loud and there's too much going on.

Supposedly the clubbing scene in Edinburgh is big but I've never been a fan of it.
I do.

I love to get schwifty.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Blue_Cow
Not particularly.

The music is just too loud and there's too much going on.

Supposedly the clubbing scene in Edinburgh is big but I've never been a fan of it.

Not all clubs are like that. Some play funky fresh disco or chilled electronic stuff. But I do agree there are some rubbish clubs with crap music that's too loud.
It's not simply an issue with the drinking or the music choice. It might be the sticky floors, it might be feeling the music VIBRATE YOUR LOOSE JEANS (no joke), it might just be the atmosphere.

I didnt go clubbing once last year and don't intend to this year. It's not for everyone, but I'm glad some people love it.
Original post by Anonymous

Surely you should care about a university's reputation more than if it has good clubs?
No.

Getting drunk objectively feels nice, going to clubs doesn't. I essentially go to clubs in order to drink and a don't mind a slight dance, but I enjoy pre's more talking to my friends. Actual clubs get so boring after 1/2 hours and it's same monotonous process every week, nothing changes. Enjoying clubs is either the sign of a liar, a drunk or a moron, no-one can enjoy them sober, it's not possible.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Cutie127_
Surely you should care about a university's reputation more than if it has good clubs?

Good night life and my enjoyment at uni is more important than a couple of places on the league tables. e.g I'd say:
Edinburgh > St. Andrews
Bristol > Bath
Newcastle > Durham
Birmingham > Warwick
Leeds > York

I know clubbing doesn't = enjoyment for everyone but it does for me.
Original post by GapYaar
No.

Getting drunk objectively feels nice, going to clubs doesn't. I essentially go to clubs in order to drink and a don't mind a slight dance, but I enjoy pre's more talking to my friends. Actual clubs get so boring after 1/2 hours and it's same monotonous process every week, nothing changes. Enjoying clubs is either the sign of a liar, a drunk or a moron, no-one can enjoy them sober, it's not possible.

If you go and see one of your favourite dj's it's definitely possible to enjoy it sober/after only a couple of drinks.
Original post by Hirsty97
I do.

I love to get schwifty.

ur a top banana
No, I went clubbing twice in my life and I hated it.

Mind you... I have no friends at Uni (or in life) and I don't drink nor dance, so.

Yes, I am boring.
Original post by RosieAppleLemon
No, I went clubbing twice in my life and I hated it.

Mind you... I have no friends at Uni (or in life) and I don't drink nor dance, so.

Yes, I am boring.

Yeah fair I don't think I'd enjoy clubbing if I didn't enjoy dancing
Not so much anymore, as a mature student, but during my last stint at University I was out clubbing 2-3 nights a week when I could afford it. Not really much into the huge clubs and the D&B etc. but we went to rock clubs or old school things. Loved it. I feel people who don't enjoy it have a habit of looking down upon those who do, but it's the same as spending your money on anything else you enjoy.
Original post by PlayWithMarkers
Not so much anymore, as a mature student, but during my last stint at University I was out clubbing 2-3 nights a week when I could afford it. Not really much into the huge clubs and the D&B etc. but we went to rock clubs or old school things. Loved it. I feel people who don't enjoy it have a habit of looking down upon those who do, but it's the same as spending your money on anything else you enjoy.

Yeah I agree. Or simply assume everyone there is on the pull or completely wasted and falling over and vomiting. Or that it's always the same music over again but that's only true if you choose to go to sh*t clubs. And people who say 'it's too loud you can't talk' what did you expect? No one goes on a dance floor to have deep conversations with people. That's what the smoking area is for. Think some people find it hard to get their heads around some people going to certain clubs to actually enjoy the music (+ have a fun night with friends).

Quick Reply