The Student Room Group

University of Greenwich vs Middlesex criminology

I'm trying to decide whether I should do a Masters in Criminology at either Greenwich or Middlesex. There are aspects of each programme and University that I like, therefore I would like to hear some further advice in order to help me make a decision. Ideally, I would like to be able to hear from anyone who has had expedience taking criminology courses at one of these uni's. Were the course interesting? Was the staff knowledgeable/helpful?I plan to start a career in the criminal justice field after completing a Masters; therefore, I'd also like to know if anyone can tell me if they felt that the courses these uni's offer apply to professional work.Additionally, If anyone could comment on the accommodation offered by the universities and whether or not they are comfortable I would appreciate it.
Original post by JonSmith
I'm trying to decide whether I should do a Masters in Criminology at either Greenwich or Middlesex. There are aspects of each programme and University that I like, therefore I would like to hear some further advice in order to help me make a decision. Ideally, I would like to be able to hear from anyone who has had expedience taking criminology courses at one of these uni's. Were the course interesting? Was the staff knowledgeable/helpful?I plan to start a career in the criminal justice field after completing a Masters; therefore, I'd also like to know if anyone can tell me if they felt that the courses these uni's offer apply to professional work.Additionally, If anyone could comment on the accommodation offered by the universities and whether or not they are comfortable I would appreciate it.

Hi JonSmith,

Nice to hear that you are interested in studying at Middlesex!
I am currently doing a Masters and I am loving my time here!
There is so much to get involved in and so many great ways to make friends. The library is open 24/7 and there is a lot of support for essay writing and presentations!
In terms of the criminology course, I am studying Marketing, so it is not the same but I have a friend who is currently doing MA Criminology and she really enjoys it! She likes the fact that the course is exploring different aspects of criminology, from terrorism, to global policing, human rights, justice and environmental justice.
The course has also a very strong international reputation, which means that you can also get some experience abroad :smile:

In terms of the accommodation, we have 5 different kinds of accommodation! One in front of the university (Usher Halls), two only 15 minutes walk away (Platt halls and Writtle House), one 15 minutes by bus (Ivy Halls) and another one 30 minutes by bus (Unite Halls).
So yeah, it depends what you are looking for! You would share your kitchen with other 5 people and you would have your en-suit room :smile:
I lived in Ivy Halls and I really enjoyed it :smile:

You can find more info here: www.mdx.ac.uk/accommodation

Let me know if you have any questions, I am happy to help!

Have a great day
Ludovica
Reply 2
Original post by Middlesex University
Hi JonSmith,

Nice to hear that you are interested in studying at Middlesex!
I am currently doing a Masters and I am loving my time here!
There is so much to get involved in and so many great ways to make friends. The library is open 24/7 and there is a lot of support for essay writing and presentations!
In terms of the criminology course, I am studying Marketing, so it is not the same but I have a friend who is currently doing MA Criminology and she really enjoys it! She likes the fact that the course is exploring different aspects of criminology, from terrorism, to global policing, human rights, justice and environmental justice.
The course has also a very strong international reputation, which means that you can also get some experience abroad :smile:

In terms of the accommodation, we have 5 different kinds of accommodation! One in front of the university (Usher Halls), two only 15 minutes walk away (Platt halls and Writtle House), one 15 minutes by bus (Ivy Halls) and another one 30 minutes by bus (Unite Halls).
So yeah, it depends what you are looking for! You would share your kitchen with other 5 people and you would have your en-suit room :smile:
I lived in Ivy Halls and I really enjoyed it :smile:

You can find more info here: www.mdx.ac.uk/accommodation

Let me know if you have any questions, I am happy to help!

Have a great day
Ludovica

Thank you for your reply, this is useful and interesting information. When you say "you can also get some experience abroad" do you mean to say that there are opportunities to to travel and if so where to?
Thanks again for your detailed response.
Thank you for your reply, this is useful and interesting information. When you say "you can also get some experience abroad" do you mean to say that there are opportunities to to travel and if so where to?
Thanks again for your detailed response.

Morning Jon,

It means that you have the opportunity to participate in postgraduate conferences twice a year in Greece, Germany, Belgium, Portugal, Holland, USA and Hungary!

Of course, everything is funded by the university so you would not have to pay for it :smile:

Hope it helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Ludovica
Reply 4
Morning Jon,

It means that you have the opportunity to participate in postgraduate conferences twice a year in Greece, Germany, Belgium, Portugal, Holland, USA and Hungary!

Of course, everything is funded by the university so you would not have to pay for it :smile:

Hope it helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Ludovica

Hi Ludovica,

Thank you for responding to my question again, these travel opportunities are certainly very interesting to hear about!
I would like to ask if it would be possible for you to put me in contact with your friend that studies the Criminology Ma at Middlesex
so that I could further my understanding of the programme. Alternatively, if she would be more comfortable providing you with info that you could provide to me that would be great too. I primarily would like to know a little more about how the courses that are taught, the average size of the classes, what the professors are like, as well as any other notable experiences one in the programme would expect.
Thank you again for your prompt responses, I do appreciate it very much as I go about making a major life decision.
Hi Ludovica,

Thank you for responding to my question again, these travel opportunities are certainly very interesting to hear about!
I would like to ask if it would be possible for you to put me in contact with your friend that studies the Criminology Ma at Middlesex
so that I could further my understanding of the programme. Alternatively, if she would be more comfortable providing you with info that you could provide to me that would be great too. I primarily would like to know a little more about how the courses that are taught, the average size of the classes, what the professors are like, as well as any other notable experiences one in the programme would expect.
Thank you again for your prompt responses, I do appreciate it very much as I go about making a major life decision.

Hello,

My friend said that the courses are normally taught via workshops- by
academics who have backgrounds in criminology.
What she loves the most is that there are regular events, conferences (organised by the research centre) and people from industry usually come in to talk to the students. Professors normally have a passion with particular types of criminology such as wildlife and environmental crime; and do research in their areas of interest. :smile:

The classes are usually around 20 people :smile:

Do you have any other questions?
Have a great day!

Ludovica
Reply 6
Hello,

My friend said that the courses are normally taught via workshops- by
academics who have backgrounds in criminology.
What she loves the most is that there are regular events, conferences (organised by the research centre) and people from industry usually come in to talk to the students. Professors normally have a passion with particular types of criminology such as wildlife and environmental crime; and do research in their areas of interest. :smile:

The classes are usually around 20 people :smile:

Do you have any other questions?
Have a great day!

Ludovica

Hi Ludovica,
Thanks for getting back to me again. It's great to be able to get a little more information about the programme. I'll certainly ask you if I have anymore questions in the future.
Regards.
Hi Ludovica,
Thanks for getting back to me again. It's great to be able to get a little more information about the programme. I'll certainly ask you if I have anymore questions in the future.
Regards.

Great to hear!

Keep in touch and have a great day :smile:

Ludovica

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending