The Student Room Group

Can I ask an Housing Benefit, if I am a Part-Time Postgraduate student

I am a postgraduate student, on a MA in Journalism, and currently not working. I only receive a Student Finance Maintenance Loan (not for tuition fees, as they don't apply to postgraduate students). The fees for my university are almost £8000, splitted in two years, and receiving a full Maintenance loan, which I decided to use to pay the university fees, are not enough for living (I should live with just £2000 in 2 years).
The question I am asking is that: Can I receive an Housing Benefit in this circumstances?
Can I also aplly for other benefits? I tried to apply for a JSA, and it was accepted, although they knew I am a part-time student. Now the Job centre (I think by arbitrary decision of the manager) complained about my situation, that I should not receive a JSA if i am a post-gradiate student. (they say it doesn't matter if i am part time or full time; they say Advanced Education Students can't apply for JSA. I don't think in Belfast they did any mistake. I wish have any tips here. Thanks
Original post by Spani01
I am a postgraduate student, on a MA in Journalism, and currently not working. I only receive a Student Finance Maintenance Loan (not for tuition fees, as they don't apply to postgraduate students). The fees for my university are almost £8000, splitted in two years, and receiving a full Maintenance loan, which I decided to use to pay the university fees, are not enough for living (I should live with just £2000 in 2 years).
The question I am asking is that: Can I receive an Housing Benefit in this circumstances?
Can I also aplly for other benefits? I tried to apply for a JSA, and it was accepted, although they knew I am a part-time student. Now the Job centre (I think by arbitrary decision of the manager) complained about my situation, that I should not receive a JSA if i am a post-gradiate student. (they say it doesn't matter if i am part time or full time; they say Advanced Education Students can't apply for JSA. I don't think in Belfast they did any mistake. I wish have any tips here. Thanks

Maybe talk to citizens advice bureau? I don't think you are entitled to a loan and benefits but this is not a system I know well.
Reply 2
Original post by alleycat393
Maybe talk to citizens advice bureau? I don't think you are entitled to a loan and benefits but this is not a system I know well.

I have been already to citizen advice bureau, and they confirmed that I can apply both to JSA and Housing Benefit. But as I asked in 2 difference locations, one said I am allowed, and the other said no.
The same is about Job Centre. When I applied for JSA, i sent also all the documentation showing that I am a part time student, and from Belfast (where the applications are evaluated) they accepted it. It means I should be allowed. At my job centre (i have a problem with managers, i think they are racists) they said - after 2 months that i was signing there - that who accepted my claim made a mistake; and I don't believe that.
Original post by Spani01
I have been already to citizen advice bureau, and they confirmed that I can apply both to JSA and Housing Benefit. But as I asked in 2 difference locations, one said I am allowed, and the other said no.
The same is about Job Centre. When I applied for JSA, i sent also all the documentation showing that I am a part time student, and from Belfast (where the applications are evaluated) they accepted it. It means I should be allowed. At my job centre (i have a problem with managers, i think they are racists) they said - after 2 months that i was signing there - that who accepted my claim made a mistake; and I don't believe that.

Right so you are receiving the JSA so what is the problem? Apply for the housing benefit where you are eligible to apply and see what happens.
Part time students are generally entitled to benefits. But if you're on JSA, you must be prepared to give up your course if it clashes with nay suitable work.
Reply 5
Right so you are receiving the JSA so what is the problem? Apply for the housing benefit where you are eligible to apply and see what happens.

No, I am not receiving it anymore. They cancelled it, as you can read all my original message.
But I think they did that unlawfully, and I am going to appeal it.

About housing benefit, yes I think this to apply should be a good idea, but I need to be sure that I can apply, because to get the benefit, I need to make a contract with a landlord first, and for that I need to anticipate a deposit. If I don't get the benefit, I would be in trouble. That's why I am asking advices.

Thanks for reply, btw.
Original post by Spani01
No, I am not receiving it anymore. They cancelled it, as you can read all my original message.
But I think they did that unlawfully, and I am going to appeal it.

About housing benefit, yes I think this to apply should be a good idea, but I need to be sure that I can apply, because to get the benefit, I need to make a contract with a landlord first, and for that I need to anticipate a deposit. If I don't get the benefit, I would be in trouble. That's why I am asking advices.

Thanks for reply, btw.

I have read your post but it isn’t very clear. Anyway it sounds like you have a plan. Good luck!
Reply 7
Original post by Tiger Rag
Part time students are generally entitled to benefits. But if you're on JSA, you must be prepared to give up your course if it clashes with nay suitable work.

Well, it seems you know that. I am aware that I should give up my course if I get a JSA. Currently I am not getting it anymore; Btw, being a part-time student, and atteing lessons on evening, I can apply to jobs that are in the morning, and study in the evening. I know lots of people do that.
And btw, if I get a job, I should give up the JSA as well, if the job exceed the 15 hours limit.
This of giving up a course to get a job, on my opinion, is a nonsense.
So when I applied, i ticked the 'yes, I would give up studying', knowing that it would happen the oppisite, giving up to the JSA.
Reply 8
I have read your post but it isn’t very clear. Anyway it sounds like you have a plan. Good luck!

well yes, it was a my mistake. anyway, thank you for that.

Quick Reply

Latest