The Student Room Group

What causes homosexuality?

I genuinely don't know.

I don't believe it is genetic, as I have no known gay relatives.
The birth order argument makes sense, but is untrue in my situation being the oldest of 2 children.

Maybe it is due to the hormones exposed to pre-birth, but ultimately I have no idea. I would like some more insight into what causes homosexuality.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I genuinely don't know.

The birth order argument makes sense, but is untrue in my situation being the oldest of 2 children.

Maybe it is due to the hormones exposed to pre-birth, but ultimately I have no idea. I would like some more insight into what causes homosexuality.

it has been shown that there is a genetic link on the X chromosome so maybe some people in your family are hiding something
When somebody experiences a whole "new world opening up to them"...or so they say.
Reply 3
it has been shown that there is a genetic link on the X chromosome so maybe some people in your family are hiding something

Bar my sister and cousins, all of whom are younger than me, all of my family members are in hetero relationships, so I doubt it.
Reply 4
Original post by JDieMstr
When somebody experiences a whole "new world opening up to them"...or so they say.

What do you mean?
Reply 5
Nobody really knows so I hope people don't start with the whole choice thing here as is clearly false.
The mahority of people will be hetero so just because your whole family has no gay relationships it doesn't really matter or have relevance.
Reply 6
Original post by Bio 7
Nobody really knows so I hope people don't start with the whole choice thing here as is clearly false.
The mahority of people will be hetero so just because your whole family has no gay relationships it doesn't really matter or have relevance.

Hopefully no one will go on about it being a "choice.

I don't believe in the genetic argument for the reasons in previous posts. If it was true, then surely I would have a gay uncle or something?
Bar my sister and cousins, all of whom are younger than me, all of my family members are in hetero relationships, so I doubt it.

Maybe they hide behind the perceived respectability of a heterosexual relationship and live in perpetual denial. This happens a lot where cultural pressure and shame is a greater burden than living a lie.
The fluoride in the water obviously... duh...
Reply 9
Hopefully no one will go on about it being a "choice.

I don't believe in the genetic argument for the reasons in previous posts. If it was true, then surely I would have a gay uncle or something?

Not necessarily, or they may be Bi.
Original post by uberteknik
Maybe they hide behind the perceived respectability of a heterosexual relationship and live in perpetual denial. This happens a lot where cultural pressure and shame is a greater burden than living a lie.

We are in 2018 though. No longer the 70's, 80's and 90's when they grew up.
The number of homosexuals always rises in the societies with a lot of liberties. I guess there is something. Still we haven't reached Ancient Greece yet so more to come. Or Islam will deal with that faster. Who knows.

From my point of view it is some deviation or evolutionary dead end. Also generally generations are becoming less healthier so...
(edited 6 years ago)
Same here. I'm positive its not genetics because some of my own older siblings and younger ones are in relationships, and my older siblings are in hetero relationships with kids. Across my entire family in UK, its like this.

I think its the way you grow up. The way you respond to feelings and relationships with your peers. This and a crap ton of crazy hormones soaring through our sweaty teenage bodies is what develops us into having an attraction to the same sex.

For a personal experience, I mean i think i'm bisexual idk, idrc rn but I was definitely hetero during my years leading up to 15. Something changed then, i'm not quite sure. I think it was a combination of learning that guys also had a g spot, experimentation, and metting and developing a friendship this perfect, intelligent, funny, little bisexual guy in my class, that led me onto how I feel right now.

Spoiler

I think its the way you grow up. The way you respond to feelings and relationships with your peers. This and a crap ton of crazy hormones soaring through our sweaty teenage bodies is what develops us into having an attraction to the same sex.

I think that I have been gay all of my life. I was always different to other boys, and rejected the whole concept of masculinity. In hindsight, over a decade later, that probably means that I was a flaming homosexual then and still am (sort of).
Original post by Cammo dude
one thing is for sure,it is not genetic.IT DISGUSTS ME PERSONALLY

What disgusts you?
Reply 15
Original post by Cammo dude
one thing is for sure,it is not genetic.IT DISGUSTS ME PERSONALLY

So because you are uncomfortable with it it isn't genetic? That's not how understanding these things works. People are born that way so there is likely a genetic element to it.
Reply 16
By the same logic race is a choice because you have no family members of certain other races. Seriously dude 😒

They could be bi, or gay and just pretending because it’s been too long
Original post by s.a.u
By the same logic race is a choice because you have no family members of certain other races. Seriously dude 😒

But race isn't a choice no?
I genuinely don't know.

No one knows.

It is still an ongoing research area.

That said, the research into it is sparse and not free. It is a touchy area many scientist would be too scared to explore because in the countries with the expertise and finances to carry out such research, they have a LiberaNazi and a "it is offensive" brigade who would intimidate and attempt to destroy scientists carrying out research they don't feel they like. They would claim it is offensive, victimisation and homophobic.

Only research that promotes "acception" would be tolerated if the scientists want continued funding and the university wants to continue existing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending