The Student Room Group

Doctors finally confirm period pain can be as painful as a heart attack

Professor of reproductive health at University College London, John Guillebaud, told Quartz that patients have described the cramping pain as "almost as bad as having a heart attack."

Research indicates a worrying discrepancy between how seriously women's pain is taken generally by doctors compared to men's. Men wait an average of 49 minutes before being treated for abdominal pain. For women, the wait is 65 minutes for the same symptoms.

So period pain should be a valid reason for missing school and work?

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.mirror.co.uk/lifestyle/health/doctors-finally-confirm-your-period-12103914.amp

Scroll to see replies

It's as valid as any other reason imo. I've had it where I can't walk.
:congrats:
Reply 3
I have quite a high pain threshold; I laughed when I got my tattoos because they were tickly, and one is near my elbow socket. But my period pain is insane and sometimes leaves me bedridden. I'm actually happy to read that this UCL study has proven what many girls have believed and suffered with all this time.
After reading this study, I consider myself quite fortunate that I don't get period cramps or period pain.
Original post by cherryred90s
patients have described the cramping pain as "almost as bad as having a heart attack."

I'm sure they have. Heart attacks do not necessarily involve any pain at all. This statement is entirely useless; lots of things can cause more pain than a heart attack.
Original post by Good bloke
I'm sure they have. Heart attacks do not necessarily involve any pain at all. This statement is entirely useless; lots of things can cause more pain than a heart attack.

So you’ve had a heart attack then?
So you’ve had a heart attack then?

I have. And I felt really dreadful, but had pretty well no actual pain.
I have. And I felt really dreadful, but had pretty well no actual pain.

But you do know that heart attacks can be pretty darn painful. Would you expect someone to go to work/school whilst they’re experiencing that sort of pain?
Mine are on and off. I’ve had cycles where I’ve had barely any pain, other times I feel like my uterus is being clawed out by a metal hanger
But you do know that heart attacks can be pretty darn painful. Would you expect someone to go to work/school whilst they’re experiencing that sort of pain?

I do; of course they can. And period pains can be very painful - everyone knows that. My wife used to have to take naproxen to reduce the pain and the effects it had on her.

Anyone that goes to work while having a heart attack, whether painful or not, is asking for trouble.

My point was simply that the doctor quoted was making a completely useless statement.
I do; of course they can. And period pains can be very painful - everyone knows that. My wife used to have to take naproxen to reduce the pain and the effects it had on her.

Anyone that goes to work while having a heart attack, whether painful or not, is asking for trouble.

My point was simply that the doctor quoted was making a completely useless statement.

How is it useless? Most people would associate a heart attack with severe pain but wouldn’t do the same with menstrual cramps.
Of course it's a valid reason. Mine were so bad I vomited repeatedly and fainted. I was almost continuously dizzy and lightheaded for at least the first day of my period. But sure, some people will view it as just a period so I should be expected to attend work and school like normal. Um, no. When the pain is so bad it is making you lose consciousness, I think it's a valid reason.
How is it useless? Most people would associate a heart attack with severe pain but wouldn’t do the same with menstrual cramps.

Would they? My own personal experience tells me the opposite. I think most adults know that period pains can be excruciating and that heart attacks can be completely missed by the sufferer. I know a man who had what he thought was indigestion for four hours - it was a heart attack.

The most pain I have suffered came from bruising of the intercostal muscles, with no apparent cause!
Sounds like women need to woman up.
Would they? My own personal experience tells me the opposite. I think most adults know that period pains can be excruciating and that heart attacks can be completely missed by the sufferer. I know a man who had what he thought was indigestion for four hours - it was a heart attack.

The most pain I have suffered came from bruising of the intercostal muscles, with no apparent cause!

Ngl, your personal experience doesn’t mean much. There’s plenty of women who don’t experience any pain during periods, does that mean that they aren’t excruciatingly painful for others?

The point is that when severe pain is felt during a period cramp is pretty similar to the severe pain felt during a heart attack:

The condition (dysmenorrhea) , described as “severe enough to interfere with daily activities in up to 20% of women” is characterized by aches and pressure in the abdomen, hips, thighs, and lower back. According to John Guillebaud, a professor of reproductive health in London, it’s totally possible for the cramping to be as bad as a heart attack.
(edited 6 years ago)
Ngl, your personal experience doesn’t mean much. There’s plenty of women who don’t experience any pain during periods, does that mean that they aren’t excruciatingly painful for others?

The point is that when severe pain is felt during a period cramp is pretty similar to the severe pain felt during a heart attack:

The condition (dysmenorrhea) , described as “severe enough to interfere with daily activities in up to 20% of women” is characterized by aches and pressure in the abdomen, hips, thighs, and lower back. According to John Guillebaud, a professor of reproductive health in London, it’s totally possible for the cramping to be as bad as a heart attack.

You seem to be on a mission. Of course period pains can be excruciating. I said that. You don't need to have suffered a painful period to know that. I also said that heart attacks, which are life threatening, can be painless. The whole comparison is useless.
(edited 6 years ago)
You seem to be on a mission. Of course period pains can be excruciating. I said that. You don't need to have suffered a painless period to know that. I also said that heart attacks, which are life threatening, can be painless. The whole comparison is useless.

The comparison is being made between painful heart attacks and painful periods.
I don’t know what’s so difficult to understand

I don’t know what’s so difficult to understand

What is difficult to understand is why you chose a thread title which uses the word 'finally' and implies that doctors have only now become aware of this fact. They haven't. It has been known for a very long time indeed.
Which is why women should get paid leave when they are on their periods. I feel like i’m dying when i’m on it. Horrible.

Latest

Trending

Trending