The Student Room Group

do people make more than 1 or 2 silly mistakes in GCSEs?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BTAnonymous
no, everyone gets 100%

That is clearly sarcasm but a lot of people might not get really high mark because they didn't revise enough rather than just making a lot of mistakes.
Original post by Iahmed512
That is clearly sarcasm but a lot of people might not get really high mark because they didn't revise enough rather than just making a lot of mistakes.

Yup, I am aware of that. OP seems to think that you need to be perfect in exams and not make mistakes which is TOO idealistic, they're worrying too much. this will have more of a negative impact on their exams.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by TheGirlFelonXxXx
Yep I meant 'I'. Yh I understand, especially when its via text or online. So my bad if it did come across as a problem :smile:

No you making a mistake didn't come across as a problem, just the way you said your first post. Anyway, doesn't matter it's fine.
Original post by BTAnonymous
Yup, I am aware of that. OP seems to think that you need to be perfect in exams and not make mistakes which is TOO idealistic, they're worrying too much. this will have more of a negative impact on their exams.

But they did say do people make "more than 1 or 2 silly mistakes" not do people make mistakes in exams. But I get your point so it's fine.
Reply 24
Yes I made a few stupid mistakes... I was fortunate enough that my all my GCSEs results turned out to be at least at a C grade (June 2016)

One specific mistake that stands out was in one of the biology papers. You had to explain the evolution of horse bones from what looked like a human foot to a horse's hoof, and I explained it the opposite way round...:clap2:
Original post by olif99
Yes I made a few stupid mistakes... I was fortunate enough that my all my GCSEs results turned out to be at least at a C grade (June 2016)

One specific mistake that stands out was in one of the biology papers. You had to explain the evolution of horse bones from what looked like a human foot to a horse's hoof, and I explained it the opposite way round...:clap2:

Yeah but I wouldn't say it is a silly mistake if it was to do with picture they shouldn't use images at all if it's not clear, since it's in black and white and most schools wouldn't print it in colour because of cost
My teacher calls them muppet moments. Best way to avoid them is often to triple check the question you’re reading. In my last mock for English we had to write an article for or against snow (yeah.) and I threw in crude jokes and anecdotes and got halfway through before seeing it was supposed to be broadsheet :s-smilie:
Reply 27
Original post by Grizzelex
There's a process. That's why practice is essential.
1. Make mistakes (not intentionally)
2. Identify those mistakes (some way or the other)
3. Fix those mistakes.
4. Enjoy a better grade. i.e Given that you do make mistakes and possibly a lot.

Persons who make mistakes don't necessarily deserve a better grade. But the less you make them the better you're bound to do. i.e what tests are about, you have to be able to make little to no mistakes to guarantee success in a test/exam, you have to be able to work well under pressure.
So, no. If you are well prepared, you become a master or something. You will not make 'dumb' mistakes.

That's good because I'm still in year 8 so I'll have a lot of time to prepare.
Reply 28
Original post by olif99

Well that's just unfourtunate :colonhash:
Reply 29
Original post by Conniestitution
My teacher calls them muppet moments. Best way to avoid them is often to triple check the question you’re reading. In my last mock for English we had to write an article for or against snow (yeah.) and I threw in crude jokes and anecdotes and got halfway through before seeing it was supposed to be broadsheet :s-smilie:

Hahaha unlucky
Reply 30

Yeah that's what I thought :colonhash:
Reply 31
Original post by mc_miah
Yes but it isn't all detrimental to your overall grade-those one or two marks would be super costly at A-level but down at GCSE nothing much would happen. Obviously there are times where you could be one or two marks off a a better grade so always try to identify and rectify them nonetheless!

That's what scares me is that ill be a few marks off a certain grade :s-smilie:
Reply 32
So what's the difference between it in grade 1-9, yeah for subjects like science it makes a big difference especially with combined, so it would be around 7 marks difference between each grade. Don't worry, I know how you feel, if you revise a lot as long as you don't panic and get really nervous, you won't make a lot of silly mistakes and check your work in case you do, it's normal to make some silly mistakes because of exam pressure, and it's fine to get a bit nervous but not too much.

Thank you I'll keep this in mind:redface:
i wrote diaphanous instead of diatherminous in my physics exam :colondollar:
Reply 34
Original post by the bear
i wrote diaphanous instead of diatherminous in my physics exam :colondollar:

How much did it cost you lol
Original post by idrc
How much did it cost you lol

i scraped through :h:
Reply 36
Original post by the bear
i scraped through :h:

Yes!
After having my maths mock this week, I think this the case even more that if you are good at something or just with practice you are less likely to make mistakes, as I made a lot less. However, there were a few questions I would have got wrong but I realised when I checked my work that it was wrong, I still made a silly mistake but it was only on a 2 mark question. Also compared to previous exams I basically was not worried at all even before the exam so I wasn't too worried in the exam, As soon as you start worrying a simple question will seem hard and. A hard question you might actually be able to do you will think you can't or it's too hard. Also when you are working for algebra and specifically equations you can check if your answer is right, I know I definitely got a 6 mark question right because I plugged in the value of x and it did equal the number in the question
Reply 38
After having my maths mock this week, I think this the case even more that if you are good at something or just with practice you are less likely to make mistakes, as I made a lot less. However, there were a few questions I would have got wrong but I realised when I checked my work that it was wrong, I still made a silly mistake but it was only on a 2 mark question. Also compared to previous exams I basically was not worried at all even before the exam so I wasn't too worried in the exam, As soon as you start worrying a simple question will seem hard and. A hard question you might actually be able to do you will think you can't or it's too hard. Also when you are working for algebra and specifically equations you can check if your answer is right, I know I definitely got a 6 mark question right because I plugged in the value of x and it did equal the number in the question

I can relate a lot, sometimes I have tests where I can easily spot my silly mistakes but in some I just get those questions all wrong and its why I like algebra more than other maths topics because you can easily check it knowing 100% you've gotten something right.

Quick Reply

Latest