The Student Room Group

What a levels to take alongside Biology and Psychology?

(Not chemistry, maths or physics)
english or philosophy would go well with those if you don’t want to do any other sciences
Reply 2
Original post by ollie221011
english or philosophy would go well with those if you don’t want to do any other sciences

My school doesn’t offer philosophy, and which English??
I do sociology along with them
i take english lit with psychology and sociology but either english goes well with them - english lit is more critical, very similar to gcse, whereas english language is more like the science of language, not like gcse at all - just depends on what you prefer really, they’d both work well
Original post by Beth286

Choose something you enjoy! My biggest mistake at college was choosing some subjects which I wasn't 100% interested in. This lead to a lot of stress and I didn't enjoy my time. If you want to go to university or take an apprenticeship afterwards, unless you want to go into a very specific career path, such as medicine, universities / employers don't care about the subjects you take, but rather the grades you achieved. Don't get sucked into the 'less'/'more' facilitating subjects trend.

I took English Literature, Philosophy, Psychology and Economics. I hated economics and ended up dropping it. I found English Literature challenging and didn't get the best grades. Psychology was more interesting in second year, but it wasn't exactly what I found interesting. I loved philosophy, and it was the only one that I chose out of real passion and I achieved an A in second year. Choose something you like! :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by clucky_chick
Choose something you enjoy! My biggest mistake at college was choosing some subjects which I wasn't 100% interested in. This lead to a lot of stress and I didn't enjoy my time. If you want to go to university or take an apprenticeship afterwards, unless you want to go into a very specific career path, such as medicine, universities / employers don't care about the subjects you take, but rather the grades you achieved. Don't get sucked into the 'less'/'more' facilitating subjects trend.

I took English Literature, Philosophy, Psychology and Economics. I hated economics and ended up dropping it. I found English Literature challenging and didn't get the best grades. Psychology was more interesting in second year, but it wasn't exactly what I found interesting. I loved philosophy, and it was the only one that I chose out of real passion and I achieved an A in second year. Choose something you like! :smile:

I enjoy Spanish however i get extremely anxious before the speaking exams and it’s a fascilitating subject so I’m not sure whether to take it or not.
I did both of those and did geography too.
Original post by Beth286
I enjoy Spanish however i get extremely anxious before the speaking exams and it’s a fascilitating subject so I’m not sure whether to take it or not.

Spanish sounds good! At a level, there is a lot more practise with speaking. Often the tutors will speak to you directly in the foreign language to build up your understanding and confidence in the subject. It's difficult, but rewarding! Also, if you find in the first few days when you go into college that you dislike one the subjects you have chosen they will often let you change to something else. :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by clucky_chick
Spanish sounds good! At a level, there is a lot more practise with speaking. Often the tutors will speak to you directly in the foreign language to build up your understanding and confidence in the subject. It's difficult, but rewarding! Also, if you find in the first few days when you go into college that you dislike one the subjects you have chosen they will often let you change to something else. :smile:

I guess results day will help me decide :smile: Thankyou for your help
Original post by Beth286

I do Psychology & Biology with English Lit, just because some unis like to see variation in your abilities, and like someone was already saying, English really helps demonstrate analytical and written ability.

But tbh, I also chose it because I wanted some relief from learning & regurgitating facts. So pick something you enjoy, like a humanities subject, for some relief!!
As above, choosing something you enjoy and think you can do well in would be main thing. You may want to specifically consider English Language (or any foreign/classical language) if you have an interest in (psycho)linguistics and language acquisition. However any academic subject will be acceptable. A non (or perhaps, less) academic subject would probably be acceptable for most universities as a third option however, if you did want to take for example, Art, Drama, Accounting etc.
Reply 12
Lol? I don't know how we're supposed to answer this. Pick a subject that you like or at least don't mind. There's no right or wrong answer here. But I would probably avoid subjects like media studies, home economics, leisure studies etc.

Quick Reply

Latest