The Student Room Group

What is Royal Drawing School foundation like?

I have a portfolio drop-off day at the RDS for art foundation, and I have offers for art/design foundation at UCA...I would like to do a foundation that allows to me explore all the pathways since I am indecisive (not sure to continue with fine art, fashion or photography for a degree).

However, I believe that the RDS foundation is only for fine art, in which case it'd be no good for me. Has anyone done this course and can tell me what kinda thing you do on it? Is it only fine art/illustration? Would it be any good for fashion or photography? Thank you :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by scarlettt8
I have an interview at the RDS for art foundation, and I have offers for art/design foundation at UCA...I would like to do a foundation that allows to me explore all the pathways since I am indecisive (not sure to continue with fine art, fashion or photography for a degree).

However, I believe that the RDS foundation is only for fine art, in which case it'd be no good for me. Has anyone done this course and can tell me what kinda thing you do on it? Is it only fine art/illustration? Would it be any good for fashion or photography? Thank you :smile:

You’re best off asking these sorts of questions at your interview. They’ll be able to explain if they have many students progress onto fashion or photography or whether they provide a better preparation for fine art/drawing/animation/illustration degrees.

Well done on getting an interview. Don’t be afraid to ask this sort of thing - an interview goes both ways. It’s a chance for you to judge if the course suits you just as much as vice versa.
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
You’re best off asking these sorts of questions at your interview. They’ll be able to explain if they have many students progress onto fashion or photography or whether they provide a better preparation for fine art/drawing/animation/illustration degrees.

Well done on getting an interview. Don’t be afraid to ask this sort of thing - an interview goes both ways. It’s a chance for you to judge if the course suits you just as much as vice versa.

Aw okay I'll try and remember for my interview then :smile:

And thank you!
Aw okay I'll try and remember for my interview then :smile:

And thank you!

Hey I am also applying to The Royal Drawing School but just wanted to ask how you got an interview so fast? I am supposed to be dropping off my portfolio on Monday for inspection so just wanted to ask if you did this too but at an earlier date??
Reply 4
Original post by Rebeccaads
Hey I am also applying to The Royal Drawing School but just wanted to ask how you got an interview so fast? I am supposed to be dropping off my portfolio on Monday for inspection so just wanted to ask if you did this too but at an earlier date??

Hey, I just read the email from them again and realised I'm actually in the same position! I got confused cos when I had interviews at the UCA the portfolio drop off and interview were all in the same day, whereas for RDS I just saw only the successful candidates are interviewed after.

So I have the portfolio drop off session, not the actual interview yet, same as you ^^ sry for the confusion!
Reply 5
What sort of paper did you mount your work on to? Did you mount on to mounting board card or just normal cartridge paper?

And did you invest in portfolio sleeves to present your work?
Reply 6
My work is mounted on A1 card and nah I don't have portfolio sleeves <3
Reply 7
Damnnn I was thinking about investing in card but in the end I didn't... Hopefully they'll just appreciate my work and ignore that I haven't invested into my portfolio q.q

How many sheets did you put into your portfolio?
Original post by Lanzo1
Damnnn I was thinking about investing in card but in the end I didn't... Hopefully they'll just appreciate my work and ignore that I haven't invested into my portfolio q.q

How many sheets did you put into your portfolio?

They’re artists. They’re looking for drawing potential not the quality of your mounting materials.
Original post by PQ
They’re artists. They’re looking for drawing potential not the quality of your mounting materials.

Hey guys how was the drop off? I had to get my dad to take mine as I had an exam this morning but did it look competitive?? Like we’re there hundreds od people dropping portfolios off? I am worried if it is competitive :frown: I did just under 20 sheets of work on cartridge paper
Reply 10
Hey, I decided not to go in the end cos I've accepted my uni offer now from somewhere else haha...but wishing you guys luck that attended/are yet to attend! And in response to @Lanzo1 as long as your mounting sheets are A1 and look neat it doesn't matter if they're card or paper! They shouldn't mind :smile: and in my portfolio for other interviews i had just under 10 mounting sheets and a few of my best sketchbooks.

Also @Rebeccaads sorry I have no idea cos I didn't attend in the end! I hope someone else that did sees this and can answer for you <3 I wouldnt worry about the competition though, just relax and continue ur studies, and wait to see if u got accepted, and worry about what to do next then <3
Reply 11
Hey, I decided not to go in the end cos I've accepted my uni offer now from somewhere else haha...but wishing you guys luck that attended/are yet to attend! And in response to @Lanzo1 as long as your mounting sheets are A1 and look neat it doesn't matter if they're card or paper! They shouldn't mind :smile: and in my portfolio for other interviews i had just under 10 mounting sheets and a few of my best sketchbooks.

Also @Rebeccaads sorry I have no idea cos I didn't attend in the end! I hope someone else that did sees this and can answer for you <3 I wouldnt worry about the competition though, just relax and continue ur studies, and wait to see if u got accepted, and worry about what to do next then <3

Eh less competition for me xD

jk good luck with you future enterprises in higher education.
Reply 12
Original post by PQ

How can you already have an interview if the portfolio drop-off was 2days ago?
Reply 13
Original post by Lou1609
How can you already have an interview if the portfolio drop-off was 2days ago?

I didn't have an interview, i accidentally wrote interview instead of drop-off in the original post, sorry for the confusion <3
Reply 14
I didn't have an interview, i accidentally wrote interview instead of drop-off in the original post, sorry for the confusion <3

I got so confused ahah, good luck then! i am soooo scared omg
Reply 15
Original post by Lou1609
I got so confused ahah, good luck then! i am soooo scared omg

Thanks, I actually didn't attend in the end cos I accepted an offer somewhere else! But I'm wishing you luck, hope u get in <3
Reply 16
I got an interviewwwwwww
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by Lou1609
I got the interviewwwwwww

Congrats! And good luck :smile:
Reply 18
Congrats! And good luck :smile:

thanks thanks thanks !!! x
Reply 19