The Student Room Group

question for gym goers

I'm just starting out at a gym properly, trying to lose some weight (currently 6ft 1 and 15 stone) I'm currently on a calorie deficit and doing cardio to lose the fat but I'm just wondering if I'm still going to gain muscle mass if for example I blitz my arms once a week...I know that to gain muscle mass you have to be eating more than usual to bulk but just wondering if it's possible to do both or whether I'm just wasting my time with weights and should just stick to cardio for now and then work on weights...help me out
You are never wasting your time with weights, and if you want to look good after slimming down then weights are more important than cardio if anything (and it's not enough to just do your arms).
It's difficult to put on muscle mass whilst in a caloric deficit, but you can make good gains with your strength and more importantly maintain your current muscle mass if you keep lifting whilst cutting. You could see some newbie gains, but they'll always be limited whilst in a deficit.
Original post by PlayWithMarkers
You are never wasting your time with weights, and if you want to look good after slimming down then weights are more important than cardio if anything (and it's not enough to just do your arms).
It's difficult to put on muscle mass whilst in a caloric deficit, but you can make good gains with your strength and more importantly maintain your current muscle mass if you keep lifting whilst cutting. You could see some newbie gains, but they'll always be limited whilst in a deficit.

yeah I don't just do my arms, was just an example...im not planning in completely neglecting weights, just wondering if it's worth putting so much effort in for no gains
Original post by ImperialYoda1
yeah I don't just do my arms, was just an example...im not planning in completely neglecting weights, just wondering if it's worth putting so much effort in for no gains

100%. You can definitely make big strength gains even if you're not putting on mass, the two aren't directly correlated. Plus it's important to maintain the muscle mass you already have, otherwise as you lose weight you end up 'skinny fat' instead of just fit. Honestly, weights is more important than cardio in my opinion whether you're trying to lose or gain weight. Cardio is great for overall health of course, and very useful, but I'd drop it long before I dropped weight training.
Original post by PlayWithMarkers
100%. You can definitely make big strength gains even if you're not putting on mass, the two aren't directly correlated. Plus it's important to maintain the muscle mass you already have, otherwise as you lose weight you end up 'skinny fat' instead of just fit. Honestly, weights is more important than cardio in my opinion whether you're trying to lose or gain weight. Cardio is great for overall health of course, and very useful, but I'd drop it long before I dropped weight training.

thanks the advice man...any other tips for starting out?
thanks the advice man...any other tips for starting out?

No prob. I'd say find yourself a good compound program (fitness subreddit is good for a lot of them) and more importantly, stick to it, consistently. You don't need to do some elaborate brosplit, but 3 days a week doing compound lifts and you'll see great changes. Also make sure you focus on form rather than weight initially, get your stock movements (bench press, squats, deadlifts) down and perfected before you worry about going too heavy.

Good luck!
You can, as a beginner, lose fat and gain muscle. For around 6 months or so of training.

You’ll need to hit the gym (and each body part) more than once a week. Optimal training frequency would be 3/4 times a week and you need to be on a proper training programme (read the FAQ for suggestions) or do Woody’s Upper/lower split
Original post by Unistudent77
You can, as a beginner, lose fat and gain muscle. For around 6 months or so of training.

You’ll need to hit the gym (and each body part) more than once a week. Optimal training frequency would be 3/4 times a week and you need to be on a proper training programme (read the FAQ for suggestions) or do Woody’s Upper/lower split

Woodys split is in the FAQ

Cause I was an incredible purple and my FAQ is the bees knees 4 evs
Original post by Angry cucumber
Woodys split is in the FAQ

Cause I was an incredible purple and my FAQ is the bees knees 4 evs

So what you’re telling me is you took an active role in writing the FAQ which basically answers every question a newbie may have?!?

Honestly I think you should be a member of the support team with a contribution like that. I’m sure CT will agree!!!
Original post by Unistudent77
So what you’re telling me is you took an active role in writing the FAQ which basically answers every question a newbie may have?!?

Honestly I think you should be a member of the support team with a contribution like that. I’m sure CT will agree!!!

where do I find it
where do I find it

Its at the top of the forum :smile:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3014757
i wouldnt waste my time with much cardio, build muscle... at 80 kg you will just be skinny fat, but if you lift in a deficit 3-4 times a week full body, you will look lean and muscular..You just being skinny with no muscle wont make you happy long term.
Original post by Realitysreflexx
i wouldnt waste my time with much cardio, build muscle... at 80 kg you will just be skinny fat, but if you lift in a deficit 3-4 times a week full body, you will look lean and muscular..You just being skinny with no muscle wont make you happy long term.

Extension: Go low carb and your body will slowly find its correct weight.

with muscle you can way a bit more and look ****ing amazing.

you cant do that being frail looking.

Also it takes a long time, you dont go from couch potato to greek god,

i would suggest watching youtubers for motivation

Calum von moger, Rob lipsett, Christian guzman...

always listen to your fav music working out and dont talk to people be antisocial appearing rude doesnt matter you are there to train.

consider getting preworkout.

realize you want to train for as long as possible for maximum life vitality, not just two weeks to achieve some short term goal.

Transform :smile: and enjoy the goddamn process.
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224

It's quite a read, but has everything you should need to know.
Read the FAQ at the top of the fitness forum

Quick Reply

Latest