The Student Room Group

Help with calories, macros and mumbo jumbo

Hi guys. So basically I'm trying to lose weight and for the past 3 weeks i have been going gym 3 days a week (my longest run!) and I thought now was the time to start incorporating a meal plan.
So here are my stats: age-22 height-5'11 weight-255lbs goal-180.
Obviously I've done some research and i found out my maintenance is ~2900cal (don't know if this is right?) and to lose 1lbs a week i should have a deficit of 500 sooo ~2400?? But do i also need to factor in the calories I'm burning at the gym??? Let's just say my daily caloric intake is 2400 how should i break down my macros for efficient weight loss? Is 35% proteins, 35% carbs and 30% fats a good ratio?
I believe the first step to fitness is to educate yourself! Thx for any helpful replies.
So I'm assuming when you calculated your maintenance you used an exercise multiplier of some form (where you put in how much you work out a week) because otherwise 2900 seems exceptionally high for your size. In that case, no, you do not adjust your calories for your gym work, they're already included in your calculations. As helpful as online calculators are, the best way is really to use them as an approximate and then just monitor your weight, if you stall for a few weeks then you can knock 200 off and judge from there, and so forth.

As for macros, it's best not to look at them in terms of % but in terms of necessary grams. You need about 60-80g of fat a day for optimum health, and 0.8g per pound of lean body mass (probably around 150-160) of protein, so around 120g of protein a day. Get those two in, then fill the rest with carbs that whilst good for energy aren't necessary like the other two are.
Reply 2
Original post by LordFifth
Hi guys. So basically I'm trying to lose weight and for the past 3 weeks i have been going gym 3 days a week (my longest run!) and I thought now was the time to start incorporating a meal plan.
So here are my stats: age-22 height-5'11 weight-255lbs goal-180.
Obviously I've done some research and i found out my maintenance is ~2900cal (don't know if this is right?) and to lose 1lbs a week i should have a deficit of 500 sooo ~2400?? But do i also need to factor in the calories I'm burning at the gym??? Let's just say my daily caloric intake is 2400 how should i break down my macros for efficient weight loss? Is 35% proteins, 35% carbs and 30% fats a good ratio?
I believe the first step to fitness is to educate yourself! Thx for any helpful replies.

I'd reduce the carbs a bit and have mainly protein and fat as these don't cause as much weight gain.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by PlayWithMarkers
So I'm assuming when you calculated your maintenance you used an exercise multiplier of some form (where you put in how much you work out a week) because otherwise 2900 seems exceptionally high for your size. In that case, no, you do not adjust your calories for your gym work, they're already included in your calculations. As helpful as online calculators are, the best way is really to use them as an approximate and then just monitor your weight, if you stall for a few weeks then you can knock 200 off and judge from there, and so forth.

As for macros, it's best not to look at them in terms of % but in terms of necessary grams. You need about 60-80g of fat a day for optimum health, and 0.8g per pound of lean body mass (probably around 150-160) of protein, so around 120g of protein a day. Get those two in, then fill the rest with carbs that whilst good for energy aren't necessary like the other two are.

So if i followed ur advice of 80g of fat and 120g of protein and following that 1g of fat=9cal , 1g of protein=4cal and 1g of carbs=4cal then wouldn't that mean i'd have to eat 300g of carbs?? Isn't that kinda excessive??
So if i followed ur advice of 80g of fat and 120g of protein and following that 1g of fat=9cal , 1g of protein=4cal and 1g of carbs=4cal then wouldn't that mean i'd have to eat 300g of carbs?? Isn't that kinda excessive??

Eh wouldn't really call it excessive. Those are just minimum requirements either way, you can eat more fat than that and you can eat more protein than that, but the point is that as long as you hit those macros it doesn't really matter what the rest of your calories consist of.
Reply 5
Download myfitnesspal on your phone and enter all your weight/height info and goals on there. It automatically calculates your calorie limit per day. Also download Google Fit or Samsung Health and connect it to the app and let it track your daily steps. It's kind of hard to add strength training into the app so I wouldn't bother with that. Just add in details for any cardio you do. Steps will be tracked automatically when you connect Google Fit or Samsung Health, and the app allocates you more calories that day the more walking you do.
Macros don't really matter as much as calories unless you're trying to lose fat and gain muscle simultaneously, so I wouldn't focus too much on that. Just stay in a calorie deficit and you'll lose fat.
Reply 6
Original post by PlayWithMarkers
Eh wouldn't really call it excessive. Those are just minimum requirements either way, you can eat more fat than that and you can eat more protein than that, but the point is that as long as you hit those macros it doesn't really matter what the rest of your calories consist of.

That 300g is like 50% of my daily calories, it might be okay for someone maintaining their weight but i think if u take it into my circumstance of trying to lose weight then i think maybe cutting it down to 250g??
Reply 7
Original post by Petulia
Download myfitnesspal on your phone and enter all your weight/height info and goals on there. It automatically calculates your calorie limit per day. Also download Google Fit or Samsung Health and connect it to the app and let it track your daily steps. It's kind of hard to add strength training into the app so I wouldn't bother with that. Just add in details for any cardio you do. Steps will be tracked automatically when you connect Google Fit or Samsung Health, and the app allocates you more calories that day the more walking you do.
Macros don't really matter as much as calories unless you're trying to lose fat and gain muscle simultaneously, so I wouldn't focus too much on that. Just stay in a calorie deficit and you'll lose fat.

thx i'll download it if they have it on android
if you are male your metabolic rate is about 2500 if your female 2000, undercut that by 500 for food intake minimum at first then gradually increase to 750 then if your male 1000, never go less than that, you should never drop below 1250.

Do exercise as much as you want but eat calories back if you drop below 1250.

Remember protein is not stored in the body, carbs and fats are. I would suggest a 45c 35p 20f making sure your carbs are complex, your proteins are a wide range of amino acids and fats are mono/polyunsaturated

eating right is far more important than the exercise itself

good luck
That 300g is like 50% of my daily calories, it might be okay for someone maintaining their weight but i think if u take it into my circumstance of trying to lose weight then i think maybe cutting it down to 250g??

Again, it doesn't matter. All you have to do is hit your caloric goal (IE 2400) and hit your minimum amount of protein (130g) and fat (80g) and then it is literally not important what you do with the rest of those calories. Don't get it into your head that carbs make you fat or slow down weight loss. Treat each calorie as a calorie. If you're not losing weight whilst doing the above then you reduce your carbs and reduce your overall calories, but it's the latter that is the key point.
Original post by Bio 7
I'd reduce the carbs a bit and have mainly protein and fat as these don't cause as much weight gain.

If you are going to add something make sure its accurate, carbs do not cause weight gain any more than protein or fat does, calories in vs out.

yes removing carbs all together on a keto diet can speed up weight loss but confusing the body and removing a huge list of delicious and healthy foods for the rest of op's life is pretty pointless when just using a normal diet works just as well and is easy to maintain for longer.
Reply 11
Original post by tomnelson_
If you are going to add something make sure its accurate, carbs do not cause weight gain any more than protein or fat does, calories in vs out.

yes removing carbs all together on a keto diet can speed up weight loss but confusing the body and removing a huge list of delicious and healthy foods for the rest of op's life is pretty pointless when just using a normal diet works just as well and is easy to maintain for longer.

Nobody said lifelong, this would be short term to get the weight to a good point then it can be maintained by whatever means suitable.
Calories in is important but the nutrients consumed play a big part in how energy is used and how much can be stored. Protein is a good source of amino acids and iron in certain meats, which means having more of it than carbs ensures fewer calories but still high nutrition.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Bio 7
Nobody said lifelong, this would be short term to get the weight to a good point then it can be maintained by whatever means suitable.
Calories in is important but the nutrients consumed play a big part in how energy is used and how much can be stored. Protein is a good source of amino acids and iron in certain meats, which means having more of it than carbs ensures fewer calories but still high nutrition.

Nobody said life lifelong but its a pretty evident assumption that you lose weight and attempt to maintain the weight, 15 stone is not overweight enough to merit bothering with ketogenic dieting. Most people really struggle with keto, having an adverse affect on them as they adjust, only to have to adjust back once weight is lost, interfering with their day to day life, especially the chance of constipation, pointless.

This second bit you say makes no sense, you either have absolutely no clue on the subject matter or really struggle with writing in a logical manner.

Nutrients have little to nothing to do with how energy is used, other than sodium and potassium the only requirements for aerobic respiration are oxygen and glucose, having a high protein diet with no carbs just uses protein as the source of glucose instead, you don't get to burn the amino acids and use them for their normal function as well. Saying protein is a good source of amino acids in meat is akin to saying potato is a good source of crisps in a pack of crisps.

why do you think protein is more nutritious than carbohydrate? that is such a narrow minded thing to say, the body requires a wide variety of molecules, a polymer of protein can be any combination of 22 monomers ideally the body needs them all, just drinking protein skakes all day would be awful for your body, but its all protein so no problem?

Quick Reply

Latest