The Student Room Group

Question for Muslim girls

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MrsMars
Great; you just forgot about the fact that there literally isn't a muslim culture :h:

There literally is, see my earlier reply and stop arguing semantics lol.
Original post by howitoughttobe
The majority of Muslims are from the same part of the world and subscribe to the same beliefs and ideology which inform their behaviour. Stop ignoring my point by arguing semantics.

There are Muslims from all parts of the world. Not just one country. Same beliefs and ideology not culture.

You are amalgamating culture and Muslims together which are two separate things.
Culture: the ideas, customs, and social behaviour of a particular people or society

Therefore
Muslim culture: the ideas, customs, and social behaviour of Muslims

Didn't think it was that complicated but there you go

Muslim -someone who believes in Islam, can be from any background, culture,
muslim culture... hm
Original post by MiszshorTea786
There are Muslims from all parts of the world. Not just one country. Same beliefs and ideology not culture.

You are amalgamating culture and Muslims together which are two separate things.

The definition of culture is "group of people", what country they are from is irrelevant.
lol idk anyone who would wanna get married before uni. Im only gonna start thinking about marriage after uni
The definition of culture is "group of people", what country they are from is irrelevant.

Each country has their own culture and traditions and practices though.

Now let's go back to your original point. Muslim Culture and you see where you have faltered.

By the ways, semantics is not applicable here.
Read the definition of culture which I conveniently posted for you. It says "of a particular people". Muslims most definitely fall into this category.
Yes they do but culture doesn't just apply to geographic location. There are many forms of culture and people can be a part of more than one culture.

Anyway I'm not stupid, this is all just a ploy to evade confronting my original point.
I'm 27 and still not married, it doesn't bother me a bit because I put my trust in Allah and know someday I will be married. Like everyone else I got my first marriage proposal at the age of 15 - but it was from my cousin eww. Luckily I had parents who acknowledge that kids should never be forced/heavily pressured into marriage and asked me and naturally I said no. Throughout the years I've had people not directly proposing to me but always asking 'is she married yet, do you know if she's planning on getting married yet?'
South Asians always just seem to know others and therefore you will always hear of some unmarried brother looking for a wife somewhere

My two older sisters were married in their 30s, my eldest found her husband through an marriage website (she met a few losers before she met him first) and yes he was divorced but she didn't care, they get on really well mashallah
And my second eldest met her husband through someone my cousin knew.
The way I see it there's always going to be men out there seeking a wife, so women are never short of options
Original post by Luke5125
Who even wants to get married now? Soon Civil Partnerships will be open to all

Religious people, traditional people, people who want lifetime commitment.
Original post by Anonymous
Religious people, traditional people, people who want lifetime commitment.

What makes you think that people who want civil partnerships don't want commitment?
Yes they do but culture doesn't just apply to geographic location. There are many forms of culture and people can be a part of more than one culture.

Anyway I'm not stupid, this is all just a ploy to evade confronting my original point.

I'll look into it later
Original point being?
Well if anyone ever needed any proof of how backwards Muslim culture is then this thread is it. Thank f*ck I've escaped it.

omg yes, thank you so much for saying this, preach girl! im getting married to a guy who i need to get to know properly first and who ive been in a relationship with for a long time. that way i can know if he someone who im going to get along with in the long term.
How backwards it is
Original post by Anonymous
omg yes, thank you so much for saying this, preach girl! i also came from a stupid muslim family that wanted to get me married off to some guy i hardly knew, what a weird stupid system and belief. i said no, im getting married to a guy who i need to get to know properly first and who ive been in a relationship with for a long time. that way i can know if he someone who im going to get along with in the long term.

Yes! I don't understand why it is so accepted that like you'll just marry someone you barely know and then divorce is frowned upon so if it turns out you're not a good match then you're stuck. It's horrific.
How backwards it is

Some things work for others.
Now let's go back to your original point. Muslim Culture and you see where you have faltered.

By the ways, semantics is not applicable here.

I haven't faltered, read through my posts on this thread and you will see that culture can apply to ANY group of people. Including Muslims.

I think it's hilarious how hard you're all trying to avoid my original point about it being backwards but from your profile picture you wear a niqab so you're clearly too brainwashed to see reason.
I haven't faltered, read through my posts on this thread and you will see that culture can apply to ANY group of people. Including Muslims.

I think it's hilarious how hard you're all trying to avoid my original point about it being backwards but from your profile picture you wear a niqab so you're clearly too brainwashed to see reason.

No, you clearly cannot see for yourself.

Muslim and culture cannot intergerate together.

Muslim is an identity and culture as you said is "the ideas, customs, and social behavior of a particular people or society".

How then can these two be integrated together?

As for my profile picture, wearing Niqaab does not have anything to do with intellect. Therefore instead of going by what others feed you learn how to thin on your own two feet.
No, you clearly cannot see for yourself.

Muslim and culture cannot intergerate together.

Muslim is an identity and culture as you said is "the ideas, customs, and social behavior of a particular people or society".

How then can these two be integrated together?

As for my profile picture, wearing Niqaab does not have anything to do with intellect. Therefore instead of going by what others feed you learn how to thin on your own two feet.

Muslim is a religion and culture can apply to ANY group of people. I'm getting the impression here that you're not too bright.

You've been brainwashed by a religion and you're telling me to "think on my own two feet" (which isn't the phrase btw, the phrase is "STAND on your own two feet" and it means something completely different)? That's actually hilarious. I can think for myself, hun, that's why I rejected the religion and gained my freedom.

Quick Reply