The Student Room Group

Instructor charged me for a test that didn’t happen!

So I had my driving test yesterday and it got cancelled due to the weather. I never got an email or a message but I turned up with my instructor and the test centre said all tests were cancelled. Me and my instructor we both pissed at this but then I got even more pissed when my instructor tried charging me for the booking fee. I thought this one unbelievably unfair as the cancellation wasn’t my fault therefore I don’t need to pay anything. He then reasoned and said he would give me half off but I would still need to pay. Can anyone tell me if this is fair? Should I take it up with him?
Original post by Ishaqhh74900
So I had my driving test yesterday and it got cancelled due to the weather. I never got an email or a message but I turned up with my instructor and the test centre said all tests were cancelled. Me and my instructor we both pissed at this but then I got even more pissed when my instructor tried charging me for the booking fee. I thought this one unbelievably unfair as the cancellation wasn’t my fault therefore I don’t need to pay anything. He then reasoned and said he would give me half off but I would still need to pay. Can anyone tell me if this is fair? Should I take it up with him?

absolutely not fair- give him a tenner for petrol. tell him what a prick he is and change instructor
Reply 2
Moved to learning to drive

Did you do anything in the lesson instead?
Reply 4
You should pay for the cost of his time, it may not be your fault the test can't go ahead but it's not the instructor's fault either, and he has still provided you with the car and his own time. And presumably you did get some driving done anyway. The test fee itself will be refunded by DVSA, but assuming you paid for the test yourself they'll refund direct to you anyway and it won't be an issue.
Never even touched the wheel
Original post by RoyalSheepy
Did you do anything in the lesson instead?

Original post by SherlockD
absolutely not fair- give him a tenner for petrol. tell him what a prick he is and change instructor

This is made my day 😂

I’d ask for your money back then, I wouldn’t pay a penny to him if I wasn’t behind the steering wheel.
Contractually, you agreed to pay the instructor for his services and the use of a car for a given period. It is not his fault that you didn't use these. It is not yours either but that is not relevant. You broke the contract. He has a living to make and a car to keep on the road.

You owe him.
Not much option but to to chalk it up; blowing a lot of money is just one of the many pitfalls of learning to drive particularity if you don't pass first time and other unexpected things like this happen.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending