The Student Room Group

Poor academic record, want to study Human Resources Management.

Hi all,

Due to extenuating circumstances for which I have no hard evidence*, I went from being predicted straight As in High School to instead achieving far fewer GCSEs, and with poor and inconsistent grades (I got a few Bs, a couple Cs, and the rest D to F). I then went on to get a Pass in a 6-unit BTEC Subsidiary Diploma in Business Studies (possibly the worst subject to get a poor grade in, given my current aspirations!). I am now set to achieve a MM or DM in a 13-unit BTEC Diploma in IT.

So, in summary:

GCSE: BBBCCDEF

BTEC Subsidiary Diploma in Business: Pass (6-unit/1 A-level equiv.)

BTEC Diploma in IT: Predicted MM to DM (13-unit/2 A-levels equiv.)

Would I have any good chance of being accepted on a decent course for Human Resources Management with these grades? What about a normal Business Management course?

If not, what could I do to give myself a starting chance? I was thinking I could feasibly self-study 2 AS-levels, perhaps in Law and Psychology, as I think these would be appropriate for HRM. Should I do one in Business instead to make up for my terrible performance at BTEC?

Thank you in advance; any help and advice is much appreciated!

* I could possibly get evidence for Social Services involvement which affected me during my GCSEs, but not for the ensuing undiagnosed depression and anxiety which severely affected me during College, and which I have recently overcome.
Original post by eden353
Hi all,

Due to extenuating circumstances for which I have no hard evidence*, I went from being predicted straight As in High School to instead achieving far fewer GCSEs, and with poor and inconsistent grades (I got a few Bs, a couple Cs, and the rest D to F). I then went on to get a Pass in a 6-unit BTEC Subsidiary Diploma in Business Studies (possibly the worst subject to get a poor grade in, given my current aspirations!). I am now set to achieve a MM or DM in a 13-unit BTEC Diploma in IT.

So, in summary:

GCSE: BBBCCDEF

BTEC Subsidiary Diploma in Business: Pass (6-unit/1 A-level equiv.)

BTEC Diploma in IT: Predicted MM to DM (13-unit/2 A-levels equiv.)

Would I have any good chance of being accepted on a decent course for Human Resources Management with these grades? What about a normal Business Management course?

If not, what could I do to give myself a starting chance? I was thinking I could feasibly self-study 2 AS-levels, perhaps in Law and Psychology, as I think these would be appropriate for HRM. Should I do one in Business instead to make up for my terrible performance at BTEC?

Thank you in advance; any help and advice is much appreciated!

* I could possibly get evidence for Social Services involvement which affected me during my GCSEs, but not for the ensuing undiagnosed depression and anxiety which severely affected me during College, and which I have recently overcome.

Your GCSE are ok for middle of the road unis.

Can you convert your BTEC National Diploma into an extended diploma or do an A level or another Subsidiary Diploma?

AS levels dont add up like that, better one A level.

You could do it in a humanity or social science, doesnt have to be business. You need to check out what the entry requirements are for the degrees you wish to do.
An access course is possible, but overkill since you already have the diploma.
Reply 2
Thank you for your response!

Original post by 999tigger
Can you convert your BTEC National Diploma into an extended diploma or do an A level or another Subsidiary Diploma?

Unfortunately it's too late in the year now to switch up, since I'm now officially part-time at college (working the rest of the time) and have started one of the four units I need to complete to achieve the Diploma. However, I say 'unfortunately' but I see this as no bad thing, since I'd rather spend this time self-studying an academic subject which would interest me and also help further my career. (I also think self-studying an A-level would further compensate for my poor academic performance in the past.)

AS levels dont add up like that, better one A level.

You could do it in a humanity or social science, doesnt have to be business. You need to check out what the entry requirements are for the degrees you wish to do.
An access course is possible, but overkill since you already have the diploma.

Thanks for that tip, I'll do one A-level instead. I did notice one of the universities I looked at specified they could view three AS-levels as one A-level, in specific circumstances.

Do you think any of the humanities/social sciences are good, or is there one in particular which would be most suitable? If not, I think I'll do Psychology, since I think this'll provide a good mix between personal interest and relevancy to the degree.

I did consider access courses and foundation years, but I've dismissed them unless absolutely necessary, since I'd rather make up for past performance by self-studying my way into direct entry (and I'm also looking forward to the challenge :biggrin:).
Original post by eden353
Thank you for your response!

Unfortunately it's too late in the year now to switch up, since I'm now officially part-time at college (working the rest of the time) and have started one of the four units I need to complete to achieve the Diploma. However, I say 'unfortunately' but I see this as no bad thing, since I'd rather spend this time self-studying an academic subject which would interest me and also help further my career. (I also think self-studying an A-level would further compensate for my poor academic performance in the past.)

Thanks for that tip, I'll do one A-level instead. I did notice one of the universities I looked at specified they could view three AS-levels as one A-level, in specific circumstances.

Do you think any of the humanities/social sciences are good, or is there one in particular which would be most suitable? If not, I think I'll do Psychology, since I think this'll provide a good mix between personal interest and relevancy to the degree.

I did consider access courses and foundation years, but I've dismissed them unless absolutely necessary, since I'd rather make up for past performance by self-studying my way into direct entry (and I'm also looking forward to the challenge :biggrin:).

The one you can get a good grade in.
Check entrance requirements for the degrees you are interested in, but I think P will be ok.

The ones I looked at last night in HR were quite low down in university rankings, but its a niche course. I would apply for a mix of maybe 2 in HRM and three normalish degrees at better unis.

My search wasnt exhaustive. I think Teeside had one.

You should also consider joining

https://www.cipd.co.uk/

I cant decide a good degree from a good uni and then cipd training or a HRM degree from the start from a lesser uni. In your A level you really need an A imo the lower it is the more you will slink down the rankings.
Reply 4
Ok yeah, I'll pick a humanity/social science then for a full A-Level. Probably either Psychology, Sociology or Religious Studies. I'll broaden my search to regular Business & Management degrees too since I suppose HRM being a pretty niche degree isn't going to be an absolute requirement for entry into the HR business. I'm also considering Business Management Degree Apprenticeships with Manchester Met too, just waiting to see what other employers announce places.

Original post by eden353

:hello:

Yes, thanks for noticing :wink: We have a HR BA at Teesside - here it is :smile:

Quick Reply