The Student Room Group

62% of students and recent graduates have experienced sexual violence.

The Student Room, in partnership with Revolt Sexual Assault have conducted a survey which found that 62% of students and graduates consulted have experience sexual violence, however only 6% of those felt able to report it to their university and/or the police

The survey, which consulted almost 4,500 students and graduates across 154 institutions, is the largest national study investigating sexual violence at university.

You can read more on the report here.

What do you make of this? Are you surprised by these statistics?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Despicable. Noone should feel unsafe or be sexually assaulted in anyway in the UK.
You cant expect this place to be a serious discussion for it right? People here will come here saying "buh buh women are so sensitive! The standards for what constitutes sexual harassment are too low!"
Reply 3
I am guessing most of these students who have been "abused" are females, no offense but I get this feeling that it's simply not true and the female students may be over exaggerating, sure there are males who can be flirty and all that but sexual violence? A uni student knows better than that.
Just my point of view and keep in mind I am not supporting sexual violence in any way.
(edited 6 years ago)
That is surprising, didnt know the stats would be that high in Uni. How comes nothing has been done? That percent will keep increasing.
Original post by Danny Dorito
only 2% of those felt able to report it to their university.

Why would any victim report it to the university? It should be reported to the police.

Would you report it to the council if you were assaulted in the street, or to Tesco if you were assaulted in the supermarket? Or to the band if you were assaulted at a music gig? No, of course not.
Reply 6
Original post by Good bloke
Why would any victim report it to the university? It should be reported to the police.

Would you report it to the council if you were assaulted in the street, or to Tesco if you were assaulted in the supermarket? Or to the band if you were assaulted at a music gig? No, of course not.

I agree, uni students are adults now so they should be able to take these matters to the police, we are not in high school anymore where we are like "Oh miss he touched me", long gone are the days were they are kids.
Reply 7
Not surprised institutional paedophilia and rape is a real problem in England and America more so in England.

Also there has been a rise in chavs racists and bigotry since brexit and the recent falls in health care education so on its really not surprising that this is happening but it is saddening truly disgusting but that’s the world right now.

In college I’ve seen individuals of 16-18 watching videos of sexual brutality and laughing at how disgusting or sick it is and I’ve heard individuals talk about rape and paedophilia as a joke that’s in college

In high school this is even more common for a joke or conversation alongside talk of killing babies and such honestly unless you’re born privileged I’m pretty sure you will be subjected to this kind of sick individuals

I myself am feeling more and more sick the more I talk about this and so will stop but seriously this is a problem nowadays people don’t see it as the serious matter it is and accepting such behaviour as the norm

Free speech needs to be protected but people of such mindsets need to be investigated or psychologically assessed in case of threat
Reply 8
Also I’m a man so I know full well what men are like and I can recount many times when men have acted sexually inn appropriate one of the worst cases being we had a repeated sex offender in my high school so anyone dismissing this as some feminist bull try not thinking with your ego and actually consider this seriously

Though there are a lot of inappropriate individuals who are not a threat as much as just weird men any man here will remember at least one inappropriate man who does stupid dirty **** I’m sad to say that is just a man trait that some men think only with their dicks not all of us but some
Reply 9
The Student Room, in partnership with Revolt Sexual Assault have conducted a survey which found that 62% of students and graduates consulted have experience sexual violence, however only 2% of those felt able to report it to their university.

The survey, which consulted almost 4,500 students and graduates across 154 institutions, is the largest national study investigating sexual violence at university.

What is counted as sexual harrassment in the survey outside physical sexual harassment/assualt? This opens up different interpretations from different participants of what non-physical sexual harassment is - it could range from a significant and concerning issue like constantly being talked to explicitly sexually in a vulgar manner and not stopping when asked to the extent that it disrupts, to being complemented on looks but the participant took it as something more serious.

The survey should've implemented an option to enable the participants to give more details on what happened, and show the exact results about what specific type it was for accuracy and transparency.

I am surprised that the most common form of 'sexual violence' among the respondents of the survey are physical however; I expected verbal to be the most common..
(edited 6 years ago)
experienced sexual violence (defined as sexual harassment and/or sexual assault), with groping and unwelcome / unnecessary touching in a sexual manner being the most commonly experience form of sexual assault.

So basically this is the most clickbaity stat you could've ever produced. Not that groping isn't a form of harassment but calling it violence conjures far more shocking images in one's head than some bloke copping a feel.
Reply 11
The figures will probably be higher considering the individuals who didn’t tell the truth and hid it a lot of individuals don’t tell anyone fearing the individual who did it or fearing ridicule and being embarrassed it’s a sad sad scenario that’s all too common
Original post by Good bloke

Original post by The RAR
I agree, uni students are adults now so they should be able to take these matters to the police, we are not in high school anymore where we are like "Oh miss he touched me", long gone are the days were they are kids.

That's not what the actual report says (the OP didn't surmise it particularly well), the report says that 6% of students reported it to the university, as well as 6% of students reporting it to the police, so I would hazard a guess that it's the same 6%. The 2% refers " those experiencing sexual violence felt both able to report it to their university and were then satisfied with the reporting process"
Original post by The RAR
I am guessing most of these students who have been "abused" are females, no offense but I get this feeling that it's simply not true and the female students may be over exaggerating, sure there are males who can be flirty and all that but sexual violence? A uni student knows better than that.
Just my point of view and keep in mind I am not supporting sexual violence in any way.

Honestly, you'd think it's that simple but it isn't. I really wish it was. Not all uni students think like that though. Some genuinely do believe they are allowed to grab women inappaopriately and violently assault them. Some don't understand consent, some don't care. Heck, every single time I go to the SU with my friends I have people trying to expose parts of my body, touch me inappropriately, that kind of thing. It genuinely is so common. My friends get it when they go out too. It's not being flirty to try and pull someone's skirt up as they face away from you, or to put your hands on them intimately without even looking at their face. Not to mention all of the cases where it's so much worse than that. It does happen and pretending it doesn't and it's just women overreacting adds to the problem so much more
Original post by Strigon67
That's not what the actual report says (the OP didn't surmise it particularly well), the report says that 6% of students reported it to the university, as well as 6% of students reporting it to the police, so I would hazard a guess that it's the same 6%. The 2% refers " those experiencing sexual violence felt both able to report it to their university and were then satisfied with the reporting process"

It was a poor summary then. But my point stands. If you are the victim of a crime you should go to the police, not to a bunch of academics and administrators, shopkeepers or council workers.
The Student Room, in partnership with Revolt Sexual Assault have conducted a survey which found that 62% of students and graduates consulted have experience sexual violence, however only 6% of those felt able to report it to their university and/or the police

In my opinion, nobody should be assaulted in any way or in any country! It is wrong and I completely disagree with it. Nobody should feel violated in any way, shape or form...the people who are committing these crimes deserve to have serious repercussions! Who agrees with me?
Reply 16
Original post by Retired_Messiah
So basically this is the most clickbaity stat you could've ever produced. Not that groping isn't a form of harassment but calling it violence conjures far more shocking images in one's head than some bloke copping a feel.

I agree, they should just call it what it is: groping and unnecessary/unwelcome touching in a sexual manner...
:dots:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by k.n.h.
I agree, they should just call it what it is: groping...
:dots:

There's probably some really ****ed stuff in amongst the stat, but the report doesn't bother to provide a full breakdown so it's a bit difficult to decide whether to go into crisis mode or not.
Reply 18
Original post by Retired_Messiah
There's probably some really ****ed stuff in amongst the stat, but the report doesn't bother to provide a full breakdown so it's a bit difficult to decide whether to go into crisis mode or not.

Exactly right, I touched on that issue in my post about interpretation. They should've introduced more categories of sexual harassment/assault so people viewing the study can formulate a more accurate judgment on the data.
Original post by k.n.h.
Exactly right, I touched on that issue in my post about interpretation. They should've introduced more categories of sexual harassment/assault so people viewing the study can formulate a more accurate judgment on the data.

Totally missed your post lmao whoops

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending