The Student Room Group

Chronic Pain Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Emily Porter
Hey guys, I'm new to this society but I've been in the MHoC for about a year now.

I have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia (diagnosis was confirmed on Monday), and Lord it drains you! :angry: Today I've had random episodes of pain in random parts of my body, and for the past few hours my stomach and my migraines have flared up again. :frown: I hope you're all coping as well as possible *gentle hugs*

welcome! im a fairly new fibro person too. it really does suck. i was at work last night and all of a sudden my ribs were agony. had to go sit down and take pain killers! todays a day off so im spending it in bed as i can barely walk
Hi everyone
I've just found this thread. I have fibromyalgia and spinal tumours. I've just accepted my degree (last night!) and I'm waiting to start my Masters in September. I'm fortunate in that my pain levels are bearable- I don't take pain relief mostly because of my anxiety levels.
What's been hardest for me is losing my mobility- just three years ago I was an NHS health care assistant who had no issues in being on my feet for 8-10 hours at a time- now I hobble around on crutches or push my walker like a little old woman :frown:
Original post by princessmaire80
Hi everyone
I've just found this thread. I have fibromyalgia and spinal tumours. I've just accepted my degree (last night!) and I'm waiting to start my Masters in September. I'm fortunate in that my pain levels are bearable- I don't take pain relief mostly because of my anxiety levels.
What's been hardest for me is losing my mobility- just three years ago I was an NHS health care assistant who had no issues in being on my feet for 8-10 hours at a time- now I hobble around on crutches or push my walker like a little old woman :frown:

Congratulations, that's amazing! Sorry to hear you've lost so much mobility though :frown: I know how difficult that can be :hugs:
Original post by PandaWho
welcome! im a fairly new fibro person too. it really does suck. i was at work last night and all of a sudden my ribs were agony. had to go sit down and take pain killers! todays a day off so im spending it in bed as i can barely walk

OMG I feel your pain! Sometimes when I take a deep breath in I get a stabbing pain in my ribs, and it kills. :frown: The terrible thing about fibro is that it can mess every organ and body part up - I get terrible acid reflux (and my GP wants to stop the antacids :angry:) and I'm moody a lot of the time too.

I wish you didn't feel so ill, but at least there are other people in the same boat. Sending gentle hugs your way :hugs:
Original post by Emily Porter
OMG I feel your pain! Sometimes when I take a deep breath in I get a stabbing pain in my ribs, and it kills. :frown: The terrible thing about fibro is that it can mess every organ and body part up - I get terrible acid reflux (and my GP wants to stop the antacids :angry:) and I'm moody a lot of the time too.

I wish you didn't feel so ill, but at least there are other people in the same boat. Sending gentle hugs your way :hugs:

yeah im sick of all the pain constantly. yeah fibro breaks everything. whats the point on them stopping something if it helps you? some drs are silly!!

yeah im on quite a few fibro facebook groups which is good. i ended up having to go to the chemist to pick up some meds and had to use a crutch as i could barely walk. christ knows how im gonna get to the drs for 9am tomorrow!!!
hope your ok
Hi to anyone still active on this thread 😊 I'm on a gap year at the moment and I want to study physics, but I have a nasty condition that causes neck and back pain as well as chronic pain in my hand that stops me from writing. Does anyone have experience with note taking without writing (especially in science, where typing is basically impossible)? Any software/tech recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
Original post by Anonymous
Hi to anyone still active on this thread 😊 I'm on a gap year at the moment and I want to study physics, but I have a nasty condition that causes neck and back pain as well as chronic pain in my hand that stops me from writing. Does anyone have experience with note taking without writing (especially in science, where typing is basically impossible)? Any software/tech recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

There are loads of softwares like dragon now which let you dictate notes. I expect you could use a laptop and Bluetooth headset while doing experiments to make sure it can always hear you.
Unis should also provide "reasonable accommodation" for issue like this so it's worth talking to your uni student support as soon as you decide on where you're going to get advice and sort that out.
They (or DSA) can usually supply a dictaphone and/ somebody to take notes for you.

Hope that helps :smile:
Reviving the heck out of this because oooomg this weather is killing me

I love it and it's so pretty but the cold is destroying me

I'm in bed, wrapped in my duvet with a jacket and a scarf on but my fingers are so stiff I keep missing all the keys on my keyboard

I had to nip out briefly earlier and my hips were horrendous, and my elbows are not good at all either

But it's so pretty out there :laugh:
Reply 88
Original post by chelseadagg3r
Reviving the heck out of this because oooomg this weather is killing me

I love it and it's so pretty but the cold is destroying me

I'm in bed, wrapped in my duvet with a jacket and a scarf on but my fingers are so stiff I keep missing all the keys on my keyboard

I had to nip out briefly earlier and my hips were horrendous, and my elbows are not good at all either

But it's so pretty out there :laugh:

I went out earlier. I put on a pair of tights, leggings, and then my trousers. I had 2 thin "base layer" type tops, a t shirt and a jumper. I wore 3 pairs of socks in my boots, and had my coat on.

My boyfriend went out wearing a pair of jeans, a t shirt and a hoodie and claimed he wasn't cold :dontknow:
Original post by Juno
I went out earlier. I put on a pair of tights, leggings, and then my trousers. I had 2 thin "base layer" type tops, a t shirt and a jumper. I wore 3 pairs of socks in my boots, and had my coat on.

My boyfriend went out wearing a pair of jeans, a t shirt and a hoodie and claimed he wasn't cold :dunno:

I feel you! I used to be exactly like your boyfriend, now I'm like you. When I was out ealrier I wore two coats, a jumper, and a scarf :laugh:
Reply 90
I feel you! I used to be exactly like your boyfriend, now I'm like you. When I was out ealrier I wore two coats, a jumper, and a scarf :laugh:

I'm jealous of Lemon. She's made a nest in a drawer and is all warm and snuggly
Original post by Juno
I'm jealous of Lemon. She's made a nest in a drawer and is all warm and snuggly

I'm definitely jealous too. That sounds like exactly the kind of thing we need to be doing. Damn small drawers and responsibilities :grumble:
Original post by Juno

My boyfriend went out wearing a pair of jeans, a t shirt and a hoodie and claimed he wasn't cold :dontknow:

A colleague walked to work wearing just a thin t-shirt, running shorts and a pair of Magnums (military boots). On Friday 2nd when the temp was sub zero and the snow was really chucking it. :eek:
Reply 93
Not sure if I belong on this thread, hopefully not! I've been suffering from IBS-like symptoms for a couple of weeks now. My GP gave me some peppermint oil tablets which are helping with the bloating. And I'm going to have an endoscopy soon, so hopefully by then I'll find out what it is.

When I first went to my GP with the symptoms, she ran a whole bunch of tests on me, but everything came back pretty much normal. She then ran some further tests and the only abnormality was a deficient vitamin D level. They also did some examinations of my tummy but those also felt normal. So she said it might just be IBS because they're not seeing anything out of the ordinary.

I really do hope it's not that serious though, but I guess we'll see in a couple of months.
Reply 94
Original post by ThePricklyOne
A colleague walked to work wearing just a thin t-shirt, running shorts and a pair of Magnums (military boots). On Friday 2nd when the temp was sub zero and the snow was really chucking it. :eek:

I was wearing Magnums as well, so I guess we had something in common
Original post by MR1999
Not sure if I belong on this thread, hopefully not! I've been suffering from IBS-like symptoms for a couple of weeks now. My GP gave me some peppermint oil tablets which are helping with the bloating. And I'm going to have an endoscopy soon, so hopefully by then I'll find out what it is.

When I first went to my GP with the symptoms, she ran a whole bunch of tests on me, but everything came back pretty much normal. She then ran some further tests and the only abnormality was a deficient vitamin D level. They also did some examinations of my tummy but those also felt normal. So she said it might just be IBS because they're not seeing anything out of the ordinary.

I really do hope it's not that serious though, but I guess we'll see in a couple of months.

If it causes you pain and it might chronic, you totally belong here :hugs:

I'm glad everything seems to be normal at least at test level, but hopefully it's not something that'll last. I'm glad the tablets are helping though!

Welcome :biggrin: I'm Chelsea
Have any of you guys got an electric blanket? Sounds like you need one!
Reply 97
If it causes you pain and it might chronic, you totally belong here :hugs:

I'm glad everything seems to be normal at least at test level, but hopefully, it's not something that'll last. I'm glad the tablets are helping though!

Welcome :biggrin: I'm Chelsea

Hey Chelsea, I'm Monzur. Thanks for the warm welcome! :hugs:

My symptoms seem to be getting better day by day, so that's a really good sign that this won't last. But I guess we'll find out in the upcoming weeks what's actually going on.
Original post by Tiger Rag
Have any of you guys got an electric blanket? Sounds like you need one!

Soooo tempted. I'm just too worried I'd forget and leave it on and manage to set fire to the place or something :laugh:

Original post by MR1999
Hey Chelsea, I'm Monzur. Thanks for the warm welcome! :hugs:

My symptoms seem to be getting better day by day, so that's a really good sign that this won't last. But I guess we'll find out in the upcoming weeks what's actually going on.

Hey!

That's great! Hopefully nothing too bad, but I hope you find out soon :smile:
Soooo tempted. I'm just too worried I'd forget and leave it on and manage to set fire to the place or something :laugh:

Mine has a timer on it so you can't do that!

Quick Reply

Latest