The Student Room Group

What causes homosexuality?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Bar my sister and cousins, all of whom are younger than me, all of my family members are in hetero relationships, so I doubt it.

That doesn't necessarily mean it's not genetic though, it might just so happen that those genes are inactive in most or all of your family members in this particular generation. Also, being in a straight relationship doesn't prove you're not gay, loads of gay people in the past (and probably lots now) were in heterosexual relationships to avoid persecution, embarrassment, ostracisation etc.
Same here. I'm positive its not genetics because some of my own older siblings and younger ones are in relationships, and my older siblings are in hetero relationships with kids. Across my entire family in UK, its like this.

I think its the way you grow up. The way you respond to feelings and relationships with your peers. This and a crap ton of crazy hormones soaring through our sweaty teenage bodies is what develops us into having an attraction to the same sex.

For a personal experience, I mean i think i'm bisexual idk, idrc rn but I was definitely hetero during my years leading up to 15. Something changed then, i'm not quite sure. I think it was a combination of learning that guys also had a g spot, experimentation, and metting and developing a friendship this perfect, intelligent, funny, little bisexual guy in my class, that led me onto how I feel right now.

Spoiler

Genes having an influence on male homosexuality have been identified on the X chromosome, so your claim that "you're positively sure" it isn't genetic is unfounded and likely to be incorrect.
Why did I GET Reported 3 times for stating an opinion?Not everyone agrees with homosexuality.Get that into your fuc*ing brains.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
That doesn't necessarily mean it's not genetic though, it might just so happen that those genes are inactive in most or all of your family members in this particular generation. Also, being in a straight relationship doesn't prove you're not gay, loads of gay people in the past (and probably lots now) were in heterosexual relationships to avoid persecution, embarrassment, ostracisation etc.

http://amazinghealth.com/13.06.24-identical-twin-studies-prove-homosexuality-is-not-genetic
http://katehon.com/article/not-born-way-homosexuality-not-genetic
https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2015/10/no-scientists-have-not-found-the-gay-gene/410059/
it's so obvious it's not genetic yet liberals keep pushing the gay agenda down our throats
"The most interesting thing is that LGBT representatives admitted themselves that "they are not born this way". The research in the American Psychological Association became very sensational. Dr. Lisa Diamond, a lesbian, said that sexual orientation is changeable, not permanent."
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Cammo dude
Why did I GET Reported 3 times for stating an opinion?Not everyone agrees with homosexuality.Get that into your fuc*ing brains.

Hello sweetie, let's clarify a couple of things.
You used a term which I think is derogatory. This is NOT the place for that. Plus, homosexuality isn't a matter of agreement/disagreement. It is part of who you are. By the same logic, do you disagree with someone having brown eyes instead of blue eyes?
http://amazinghealth.com/13.06.24-identical-twin-studies-prove-homosexuality-is-not-genetic
https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2015/10/no-scientists-have-not-found-the-gay-gene/410059/
it's so obvious it's not genetic yet liberals keep pushing the gay agenda down our throats
"The most interesting thing is that LGBT representatives admitted themselves that "they are not born this way". The research in the American Psychological Association became very sensational. Dr. Lisa Diamond, a lesbian, said that sexual orientation is changeable, not permanent."

Sexuality is fluid, not changeable. I was born this way anyway. I knew I was different from a very young age, even if I didn't recognize my homosexuality until 15.
You used a term which I think is derogatory. This is NOT the place for that. Plus, homosexuality isn't a matter of agreement/disagreement. It is part of who you are. By the same logic, do you disagree with someone having brown eyes instead of blue eyes?

DON'T HIDE BEHIND ANONYMOUS AND i have given my reasonings above for why it is not genetic
Sexuality is fluid, not changeable. I was born this way anyway. I knew I was different from a very young age, even if I didn't recognize my homosexuality until 15.

fluid?,another bullsh1t term used by liberals and lefties to suit their own propaganda
DON'T HIDE BEHIND ANONYMOUS AND i have given my reasonings above for why it is not genetic

No, you said that you disagreed with homosexuality itself. There is a difference between whether you disagree with it being genetic or disagree with it altogether.

Hoping you are well,
Anonymous OP
fluid?,another bullsh1t term used by liberals and lefties to suit their own propaganda

How do you know that I am a liberal/leftie? I am actually not.
No, you said that you disagreed with homosexuality itself. There is a difference between whether you disagree with it being genetic or disagree with it altogether.

Hoping you are well,
Anonymous OP

i do disagree with it and the fact that it is not genetic only further strenghtens my opinion of it
i do disagree with it and the fact that it is not genetic only further strenghtens my opinion of it

How can you disagree with something like homosexuality? It's like saying that you disagree with having a certain height or eye colour. Do you disagree with the fact that I am homosexual?

Or, are you a bit confused and actually mean that you disagree with LGBT rights, which is your opinion, although one that I do not wish to discuss.
How can you disagree with something like homosexuality? It's like saying that you disagree with having a certain height or eye colour. Do you disagree with the fact that I am homosexual?

Or, are you a bit confused and actually mean that you disagree with LGBT rights, which is your opinion, although one that I do not wish to discuss.

disagree as in i don't support it
disagree as in i don't support it

So you actually disagree with LGBT rights, not homosexuality itself.
It's definitely not singularly genetic, in my opinion, it may well be that certain genetic markers give a propensity towards it which is then developed further by environment. But that's the case with any sexuality, any behavioural trait at all really. Some of it's genetic, some of it is environment. None of it is something to hate or disagree with.

I did not say it’s solely genetic though. As explained, markers found on the X chromosome have been shown to have a role to play, so it is indeed partly genetic. It’s more than likely that both genetic and environmental factors are at play, with an example of the latter being how much testosterone a foetus is exposed to in the womb.

Either way, it is most definitely not a choice or a lifestyle selection to be attracted to the same sex.
It's the government, they put (((the gay))) in the vaccines to give people autism!

No one really knows for sure, but here are a few points:

I'd image it's due to multiple factors, such as biochemical (e.g. hormone exposure during brain development) and biological (e.g. genes that affect brain development/structure and the effects certain visual triggers have on the brain) factors.

It ain't a choice. You can repress homosexual desires, but you can't prevent the brain from reacting to your environment the way it does. Of course there is a gradient to this. One person may have developed one way and finds features from the same sex attractive but doesn't have any homosexual desires, while another may just straight up want gay sex.

Genetics are a weird one, so I'm going to simplify it a good bit (geneticists please don't hurt me). There probably aren't any specific genes that just straight up make you homosexual, but genes that code for specific proteins that can be activated when exposed to other factors (such as being exposed to specific hormones in a specific range of concentrations) are plausible and could partially explain why homosexuals develop the way they do.

For example, let's say there is a gene that activates when there is an excessively high concentration of estrogen present, it produces proteins that break down the excessive estrogen but also affects how neurons signal each other in a certain part of the brain (e.g. maybe the protein can also bind to certain cell receptors that it's not really meant to and induced a chemical change in the neurons it binded to, which then affects the cells function) which would then change the brain's response to an environmental stimuli and so the individual's behaviour as a whole.

I'm no expert and I'm not saying this is the reason why people are gay, but I'm just saying don't rule out genetics as a factor because it's complicated as f***.
Original post by remaal
'gay agenda'? Seriously? What the hell do we have to benefit from being gay? You think..none of us want to be straight? You think..we like being discriminated against? And before ur like ohh but being gay is so accepted now blah blah blah, look at homeless lgbt rates. Look at sexual assault cases with lgbt+ (ever heard of corrective rape?). Look at domestic violence rates with lgbt+ kids/teens. Look at the street harassment of lgbt+ couples. If u wanna take this outside the west, look at issues of marriage equality, the criminalization of being lgbt+ with death penalty, imprisonment, lashings.. Look at hate crimes and violence towards lgbt+, look at lgbt+ being closeted for life because the alternative is to destroy their own and their family's honor and reputation.

Look at all that,
then come back to me and tell me (i don't even know what protected bubble u must live in to think this..) that in the midst of living actual hell we would stop to think about u...and go behind ur back and carry out this 'secret agenda'... We actually couldn't give two ****s about u.

..u know what? Say we lived in some alternative universe where i could choose my sexuality and choose to be straight over gay, i wouldn't. I endured (and am still enduring) hell for being gay. And that's not gonna go for nothing. I take pride in it. I see parts of the world where lgbt+ live better lives, and i'm happy for them bc i know they fought for it.

Maybe instead of making all things about u, and thinking the whole world revolves around u, u should see it that way too. Things were difficult before they were easy.

it's still not genetic though
also,not everyone is going to support lgbtq movement and rights including me so keep that in your head
It can't be a choice, if gay people themselves don't say its a choice, its not, they know how it feels to be gay.
Reply 39
it's still not genetic though
also,not everyone is going to support lgbtq movement and rights including me so keep that in your head

Do you have any actual evidence to support that claim? Simply repeating the words "it's not genetic" doesn't make them true. And would you care to venture any alternative theories, if you don't "believe" that genetics play a role?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending