The Student Room Group

University Mental Health Day 2018!

Today is University Mental Health Day, which is the national campaign to focus efforts on promoting the mental health of people who live, work and study in Higher Education settings.

The theme for 2018 is commUNIty

It's really important to raise awareness and understanding of mental health and the challenges we might face in getting support in higher education environments so that we can develop a better positive mental health community and also influence universities, the government, and health providers to work together to help us all thrive

We have a bunch of content going up today and we're hoping really valuable discussions can be had. If you have any questions or have something to say then absolutely feel free to do so, even if you do it anonymously. You don't have to be a current university student either! I'm going to update the list below throughout the day of all the discussions we have taking place on-site

Get involved:
What communities are you a part of?
How have your communities helped your mental health?
What support have you received for mental health from your uni?
What are the biggest challenges to mental health you face as a student?
What tips do you have for managing mental health at uni?
(edited 6 years ago)
Wow my timing is impeccable, got diagnosed on world mental health day and ended up in hospital on uni mental health day. How ironic.
In all seriousness though hope everyone has a good day, did want to go to the little stall things my uni has for it but will see.
Hopefully they hand out tea :tea: can't go wrong with that in this weather
Original post by CoolCavy
Wow my timing is impeccable, got diagnosed on world mental health day and ended up in hospital on uni mental health day. How ironic.
In all seriousness though hope everyone has a good day, did want to go to the little stall things my uni has for it but will see.
Hopefully they hand out tea :tea: can't go wrong with that in this weather

What timing! Stay safe with this weather :hugs: Definitely can't go wrong with tea!
Hiya,

I'm Dominic from Student Minds, the UK's student mental health charity - the team behind today's campaign.

As mentioned, the theme for University Mental Health Day 2018 is commUNIty. A sense of belonging encourages positive wellbeing and that's a huge aspect of being a part of a community.

I'll be here all day to chat and answer any questions.

It's been great to see so much engagement on the hashtag on other platforms with lots of people thinking about what communities they're a part of and what communities mean to them and I'm excited to see what discussion we get here.

Feel free to ask me anything!
Original post by Student Minds
Hiya,

I'm Dominic from Student Minds, the UK's student mental health charity - the team behind today's campaign.

As mentioned, the theme for University Mental Health Day 2018 is commUNIty. A sense of belonging encourages positive wellbeing and that's a huge aspect of being a part of a community.

It's been great to see so much engagement on the hashtag on other platforms with lots of people thinking about what communities they're a part of and what communities mean to them and I'm excited to see what discussion we get here.

Hi Dominic! Great to see Student Minds on site :biggrin: What ways would you recommend for students to involve themselves in more communities?
There are plenty of communities students can get involved though their SU. Sports clubs, societies, volunteering projects and liberation networks are all great communities to be a part of that have a common cause/interest so they really bring people together.
Hiya,

HI Dominic,

Were you a student minds volunteer at uni? How did you look after your mental health on campus and during busy times like multiple deadlines and exams?
Original post by She-Ra
HI Dominic,

Were you a student minds volunteer at uni? How did you look after your mental health on campus and during busy times like multiple deadlines and exams?

Sadly I wasn't. There wasn't a Student Minds group at my alma mater, but there is now! I was a volunteer for Nightline and was on my college's JCRC committee in a welfare role however.

Exam season and multiple deadlines are a stressful experience. I owe a lot to tea, my friends & peers and my work's willingness to be flexible for getting me through it.
Sadly I wasn't. There wasn't a Student Minds group at my alma mater, but there is now! I was a volunteer for Nightline and was on my college's JCRC committee in a welfare role however.

Exam season and multiple deadlines are a stressful experience. I owe a lot to tea, my friends & peers and my work's willingness to be flexible for getting me through it.

Aww I worked with Nightline too :h:

Tea makes everything better right?

How can students find out if they have a student minds team on their campus? What kind of support do they offer?
Original post by She-Ra
Aww I worked with Nightline too :h:

How can students find out if they have a student minds team on their campus? What kind of support do they offer?

Tea really does make everything better. I was lucky enough to work part-time in a tea room as a student so always had tea & treats in stock!

We've got a list of all of our current student groups here and you can also find out how to set-up your own group if one doesn't already exist: http://www.studentminds.org.uk/studentgroups.html
Hiya,

Hey Dominic:smile:
What do you think universities could do to better support students' mental health?
Great to see TSR supporting this day. Looking forward to digging into these threads in a bit, now that I'm back home :biggrin:
Original post by She-Ra
It doesn't do a lot for potholes I'm afraid.:nope:
Hiya,

Do you think students and young people in general are listened to enough? And that their views are valued?

Quick Reply

Latest