The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jheinexx
Which is why women should get paid leave when they are on their periods. I feel like i’m dying when i’m on it. Horrible.

Just don't complain about a gender wage gap and why companies will be hiring the more reliable sex.
We need to be careful not to treat women like snowflakes.
Original post by cherryred90s
Would you expect someone to go to work/school whilst they’re experiencing that sort of pain?

This is evidence that women are not designed for work the same way that men are designed for work.

Imagine allowing women into the front lines in the army. During war time these women will expect time off when they have period pains, become pregnant and work part-time to care for the child and become less efficient at carrying out tasks therefore requiring less strenuous responsibilities etc...countries that rely on such women would loose any war that they engage in.

Now, you expect to be allowed time off work for your periods, time off work for your pregnancies and time off work to provide immediate care for the child after it is born and time off work to care for the child as it grows up and at the same time you expect to earn the same overall salary as men and you expect the same chance at promotion? Is this fair?

Additionally, these issues raise the following question: These women who take time off work for periods, pregnancies and child-care and most of whom work part-time after giving birth are going to leave gaps at work that need to be filled by other staff...this will cost money...So the question becomes what are the financial implications to society of more women in work?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Good bloke
What is difficult to understand is why you chose a thread title which uses the word 'finally' and implies that doctors have only now become aware of this fact. They haven't. It has been known for a very long time indeed.

Lol! Now you know full well that you’re trying to argue with me for the sake of it, as you always do.

If you want to argue with somebody, click on the link I posted and complain to them since they’re the ones who wrote the title.
Mine are on and off. I’ve had cycles where I’ve had barely any pain, other times I feel like my uterus is being clawed out by a metal hanger

Ouch, does sound crazily painful. One friend I had in school actually fainted in class because her period pain was that severe (and this was after taking pain killers)
What is difficult to understand is why you chose a thread title which uses the word 'finally' and implies that doctors have only now become aware of this fact. They haven't. It has been known for a very long time indeed.

Lol, this.

This isn't some sort of brilliant scientific discovery that someone has suddenly made.

Heart attacks aren't necessarily very painful.
Original post by CookieButter
This is evidence that women are not designed for work the same way that men are designed for work.

Imagine allowing women into the front lines in the army. During war time these women will expect time off when they have period pains, become pregnant and work part-time to care for the child and become less efficient at carrying out tasks therefore requiring less strenuous responsibilities etc...countries that rely on such women would loose any war that they engage in.

Now, you expect to be allowed time off work for your periods, time off work for your pregnancies and time off work to provide immediate care for the child after it is born and time off work to care for the child as it grows up and at the same time you expect to earn the same overall salary as men and you expect the same chance at promotion? Is this fair?

Additionally, these issues raise the following question: These women who take time off work for periods, pregnancies and child-care and most of whom work part-time after giving birth are going to leave gaps at work that need to be filled by other staff...this will cost money...So the question becomes what are the financial implications to society of more women in work?

It’s a good question and I understand your points, but at the same time, I think that provisions should be made for women so that they can advance up the career ladder in the same way that men do. Otherwise we’re penalised either way, because it’s as if we’re made to choose between having children or being treated equally in the workforce whereas men have the luxury of both.
Original post by Chief Wiggum
Lol, this.

Heart attacks aren't necessarily very painful.

Neither are periods.

The comparison is being made between painful periods and painful heart attacks
This made me feel relieved even though my period pains aren't that bad all the time.
Neither are periods.

The comparison is being made between painful periods and painful heart attacks

Lol that barely makes sense.

Basically, it's saying that something that can vary hugely in terms of pain, can be more painful than something else that can very hugely in terms of pain.

Not exactly an earth-shattering revelation, although of course it is technically accurate.
Original post by Chief Wiggum
Lol that barely makes sense.

Basically, it's saying that something that can vary hugely in terms of pain, can be more painful than something else that can very hugely in terms of pain.

Not exactly an earth-shattering revelation, although of course it is technically accurate.

It’s actually saying that the severe pain felt during a heart attack is similar to the severe pain felt during a period cramp. Don’t know how many times I’ve typed that now. The women on this thread seem to get it.
It’s actually saying that the severe pain felt during a heart attack is similar to the severe pain felt during a period cramp. Don’t know how many times I’ve typed that now. The women on this thread seem to get it.

It isn't saying that at all. It is saying that some period pains can be more painful than some heart attacks. In the extreme, this could mean a severe period pain is more painful than a painless heart attack, which is exactly why I said it is a useless message.

Now, nobody is trying to minimise how painful either condition can be, but you are trying to sell everyone a dodgy message, especially as you are attempting to make it look as if medical science has finally caught up with what you knew all along.
It isn't saying that at all. It is saying that some period pains can be more painful than some heart attacks. In the extreme, this could mean a severe period pain is more painful than a painless heart attack, which is exactly why I said it is a useless message.

That is not the comparison that they’ve made though. That’s the comparison that YOU made.
“Frank Tu, director of gynecological pain at NorthShore University HealthSystem, tells Quartz some physicians are taught that ibuprofen “should be good enough.” Clearly, this is not an adequate response to such severe pain. How severe? John Guillebaud, professor of reproductive health at University College London, tells Quartz that patients have described the cramping pain as “almost as bad as having a heart attack.”
If they’re categorising period cramps as severe pain, why would they compare it to a painless heart attack?

Now, nobody is trying to minimise how painful either condition can be, but you are trying to sell everyone a dodgy message, especially as you are attempting to make it look as if medical science has finally caught up with what you knew all along.

So did you use the link I posted to debate the word ‘finally’ with the writers or are you just going to keep moaning at me about it?
“almost as bad as having a heart attack.”
If they’re categorising period cramps as severe pain, why would they compare it to a painless heart attack?

I don't know, but there is no evidence to support your assumption, so the comparison is yours - not mine, not theirs.

So did you use the link I posted to debate the word ‘finally’ with the writers or are you just going to keep moaning at me about it?

It is your thread title, not theirs. How can they be to blame for what you decided to call the thread? You take responsibility. In it you make a claim about doctors; you don't quote them.
I don't know, but there is no evidence to support your assumption, so the comparison is yours - not mine, not theirs.

Yes you do know, but you choose to be stubborn

It is your thread title, not theirs. How can they be to blame for what you decided to call the thread? You take responsibility. In it you make a claim about doctors; you don't quote them.

They’re the source. If you disagree with how it’s been worded then go and complain to the source. This isn’t even what the thread is about. Why does it even matter?! If not this, you would’ve found something else to moan about because you like to annoy me
Wow that really sucks. The price we pay to have children eh
I don’t tend to get awful pain specifically but I do feel incredibly under the weather. It’s like I have a fever and a stomach ache, I often go pale and sweaty. I also get it coupled with nausea. Fortunately this only happens once every few months and doesn’t tend to last more than a day.
Which is why women should get paid leave when they are on their periods. I feel like i’m dying when i’m on it. Horrible.

All women? Without question? You're talking about the law defining certain workers as up to 25% less valuable (same pay, but up to a week off every month) just because of her gender - I don't agree with that.
Reply 37

All women on paid leave? That would be quite a bit of money down the drain when all women that work get a day off every month with pay. Note that the level of period pain varies among women, and you want all of them to leave?
Professor of reproductive health at University College London, John Guillebaud, told Quartz that patients have described the cramping pain as "almost as bad as having a heart attack."

Research indicates a worrying discrepancy between how seriously women's pain is taken generally by doctors compared to men's. Men wait an average of 49 minutes before being treated for abdominal pain. For women, the wait is 65 minutes for the same symptoms.

So period pain should be a valid reason for missing school and work?

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.mirror.co.uk/lifestyle/health/doctors-finally-confirm-your-period-12103914.amp

"Man flu is real, men should have twice as long off work without question when ill!"
The women on this thread seem to get it.

I get the impression it's one of those things unless you've been there and done that, you really don't get it.

I really do wish (as someone suggested) it was a case of womaning up. But I had 5 days a few years ago where as well as a period, I also had a migraine. That unfortunately, isn't overly unusual for me.

Latest

Trending

Trending