The Student Room Group
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website

The Official Ask Aston Thread

Scroll to see replies

Has anyone been given conditional/unconditional offers yet or is it too early for that...?
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website
Original post by Daniel Graham
Has anyone been given conditional/unconditional offers yet or is it too early for that...?

Hi Daniel,

It is really early in the day, but we have made offers at this point. Nothing to fret about though. All applications submitted before the January 15th UCAS deadline are treated equally.

Hope that helps
Josh
Reply 982
Hi,I’m thinking of applying to Aston University for the year 2018/2019 to study pharmacy.I’m an Irish student and the entry requirements for pharmacy are H2H2H2H3H3 with the 3 H2’s in biology chemistry and maths. The problem is i don’t do higher level maths. My higher level subjects are Biology Chemistry Geography German and English. Would there be any chance that I could still be accepted to do pharmacy if I got a H2 in a subject substituted for maths?Thanks,Tina
Hi, apologies if this is a stupid question, but i'd just like to ask if I am still able to pass the first year if I fail a module? I'm in the 1st year of International business and management, and I am worried that I won't pass one of my modules... any information would be greatly appreciated
Original post by Tinax
Hi,I’m thinking of applying to Aston University for the year 2018/2019 to study pharmacy.I’m an Irish student and the entry requirements for pharmacy are H2H2H2H3H3 with the 3 H2’s in biology chemistry and maths. The problem is i don’t do higher level maths. My higher level subjects are Biology Chemistry Geography German and English. Would there be any chance that I could still be accepted to do pharmacy if I got a H2 in a subject substituted for maths?Thanks,Tina

Hi Tina,

I would recommend contacting our admissions teams if you need clarification around entry requirements: [email protected] should get back to you fairly quickly.

Hope that helps
Josh
Original post by LaurenceC
Hi, apologies if this is a stupid question, but i'd just like to ask if I am still able to pass the first year if I fail a module? I'm in the 1st year of International business and management, and I am worried that I won't pass one of my modules... any information would be greatly appreciated

Condonement - Usually, if you only fail a single module within 2% of the pass rate, you may be eligible for condonement, where your failed mark is adjusted to a 40% pass.

Retakes - If you fail by more than 2% or multiple modules often there is the option to retake the exam, capped at 40% known as a deferred exam, if you feel you have failed under exceptional circumstances such as illness or bereavement you can apply to take a referred exam which is not capped at 40%

Repeat the year If you fail multiple modules, you may be offered the chance to repeat the year.

Change course Depending on what you’re studying a change of course may be offered.

Leave the university If none of the above are possible there may be a mutual decision not to carry on with your course.

All exam results decisions are made by a panel and will vary from student to student. Honestly, try not to worry until you know the outcome of your exam, you might have a nice surprise.

Good luck

Josh
Original post by Aston University
Hey guys and gals, the purpose of this thread is obviously if you wish to ask the university any questions in particular, I myself have just graduated with my combined honours degree in Psychology and Sociology and have been employed by the university itself to work in the social media department. Thus I should be able to give you insight on a number of things such as courses, accommodation, student life, night-life, societies and any general pointers for those of you whom are about to become Aston students for the next four years.

FYI - If you have questions about accommodation you should forward an email to [email protected]

Don't be shy. :smile:
Josh

I know your post is really old but I wanted to ask about the Aston accommodation, student life, and the nightlife...:smile:
Original post by vanessa_james
I know your post is really old but I wanted to ask about the Aston accommodation, student life, and the nightlife...:smile:

No worries Vanessa, i'm still here. :smile:

Accommodation

We recently sold our on campus accommodation to Unite Students, but everything remains fairly similar. It's a two minute walk across our campus from your bed to the main building. So no commutes & plenty of late nights if that’s what you’re looking for. It’s also a short five minute walk into the city centre, with about fifteen minutes to Broad Street which is one of the hotspots for student nightlife.

The accommodation comes in either 5 or 7 bed flats all en-suite. If you choose a 5 bed flat, your bed will be slightly larger and you should have a little more space in the kitchen. All rooms also come with high speed wifi, all bills included and access to 24 hour maintenance and security teams.

Student Life

It’s a bit of a tricky one to talk about student life as you can only really experience one student life. However I had a blast at Aston. The small campus means you meet a lot of people outside of your course. Along with Clubs & Societies it was really easy to create a network of good friends. Something which surprised me not being a social butterfly. There always seemed to be a good work / play balance with my course too.

Nightlife

Birmingham is a great city and has a lot of nightlife to offer. Where you’re going to end up on most nights will probably vary depending on the friends make and the music you like to be around. Broad Street hosts most of the action for those into Top 40 pop, R ‘n’ B etc. Whereas the horsefair area tends to be better if you’re into Indie hits with Propaganda and Snobs. Digbeth is becoming a bit of a hub for dance music with venues like the Rainbow and if you’re into heavier stuff Eddies or Uprawr in Hockley has you covered.

Hope that helps, just give me a nudge if you need anything else.

Josh
Any ideas how the Aston interview for pharmacy plays out? Thank you
Original post by Lucky10
Any ideas how the Aston interview for pharmacy plays out? Thank you

Hi Lucky,

From my knowledge, the previous the interviews usually lasted about 10 minutes and are on a 1-2-1 basis

They ask 3 questions to assess critical thinking, problem solving and arithmetic

On the interview day you will get (if successful) an offer.

Hope this helps. ^Kam
Hi Lucky,

From my knowledge, the previous the interviews usually lasted about 10 minutes and are on a 1-2-1 basis

They ask 3 questions to assess critical thinking, problem solving and arithmetic

On the interview day you will get (if successful) an offer.

Hope this helps. ^Kam

Thank You, what type of question can they be also what is the maths one like
Original post by Lucky10
Thank You, what type of question can they be also what is the maths one like

Each question they ask can be different depending on the student so I'm afraid I don't have the information.

Try not to worry about it. Just be prepared on the day :smile:

^Kam
Each question they ask can be different depending on the student so I'm afraid I don't have the information.

Try not to worry about it. Just be prepared on the day :smile:

^Kam

Okay Thank you
Reply 993
Hi,

When do final year students, who have an Exceptional Circumstance, take the exam? When will they graduate?

Thanks.
Original post by Laee
Hi,

When do final year students, who have an Exceptional Circumstance, take the exam? When will they graduate?

Thanks.

Hi sorry for the slow reply,

I've been out ill and no one managed to pick this answer up for me. Usually, all deferred exams take place in September, which would delay your graduation ceremony to the following year, unfortunately.

Hope that helps

Josh
Hi, I was wondering if Aston takes on transfer students from another university onto its Law programme? I am in my first year of studying law at another university and would like to transfer into Aston for my second year. I understand there are certain requirements in terms of modules studied and grades obtained but would the A-level requirements remain the same or are they reduced, for example, if you are on track to receive a first in your first year.
Original post by halima25
Hi, I was wondering if Aston takes on transfer students from another university onto its Law programme? I am in my first year of studying law at another university and would like to transfer into Aston for my second year. I understand there are certain requirements in terms of modules studied and grades obtained but would the A-level requirements remain the same or are they reduced, for example, if you are on track to receive a first in your first year.

Hi,

Yes, we do offer transfers onto a number of our courses. However, your best course of action is to contact our admissions teams at [email protected] as they will be able to see how your current course translates to ours and which year of study you would be eligible to start at.

Hope that helps
Josh
I applied to Aston University for electrical and electronic engineering and I am wondering how lenient Aston are when it comes to subjects like these.
Original post by Thatblackgirl
I applied to Aston University for electrical and electronic engineering and I am wondering how lenient Aston are when it comes to subjects like these.

Hi,

Sorry for the slow reply, leniency often varies year to year on a number of factors such as: Number of people who applied for the course, the grades those applying for the course get, staffing and space requirements, etc.

You can usually expect a fluctuation of one to two grades.

Hope that helps and good luck in your exams.

Josh
Hi Josh

As a rep from Aston University, can you find out when offers for Medicine are going to be given out....

Most applicants for Medicine are International applicants and have finished the UCAS application on 15th October 2017....

Quick Reply

Latest