The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cherryred90s
Men wait an average of 49 minutes before being treated for abdominal pain. For women, the wait is 65 minutes for the same symptoms.

Serious question though, wouldn't waiting times be more dependent on the workload of the day? I can't really imagine doctors, male or female, just sitting for an extra 20 minutes in between appointments just because they cba.
Original post by Tiger Rag
I get the impression it's one of those things unless you've been there and done that, you really don't get it.

Nope, as a male doctor, I think I'm capable of understanding that period pains can be incredibly painful.

The thread title is utterly ludicrous though.

Obviously a period pain can be "more painful" than a heart attack. This is not something that is being "finally confirmed".
It’s a good question and I understand your points, but at the same time, I think that provisions should be made for women so that they can advance up the career ladder in the same way that men do.

Otherwise we’re penalised either way, because it’s as if we’re made to choose between having children or being treated equally in the workforce whereas men have the luxury of both.

Basically, you feel entitled to preferential treatment over men by virtue of your gender. You feel entitled to earning as much as them despite working less. You feel entitled to having an equal chance at a promotion despite having less experience. You demand time off and more money....if this isn't corrupt, unfair and amoral then I don't know what is.

This thread and its topic is a great example for everything that is wrong with feminism and equality. Clearly women are different to men and are unable to work equally to them so treating them equally to men is wrong.

Have your time off for periods...but do not turn around in the future and say we are earning even less now than we did before due to sexism...it isn't sexism and the good majority of you women know it...its your biology and your own choices!!!!!
(edited 6 years ago)
Thank God I'm not a woman :u:
Original post by k.n.h.
All women on paid leave? That would be quite a bit of money down the drain when all women that work get a day off every month with pay. Note that the level of period pain varies among women, and you want all of them to leave?

It’d be a mockery of the capabilities of women if we all had paid leave a week every month. That’s as good as banishing women to huts when they’re on their periods.

Women who have pains so bad that they can’t function in daily life should have some kind of doctors note or disability allowance, it should be the exception not the rule.
Original post by Good bloke
Would they? My own personal experience tells me the opposite. I think most adults know that period pains can be excruciating and that heart attacks can be completely missed by the sufferer. I know a man who had what he thought was indigestion for four hours - it was a heart attack.

The most pain I have suffered came from bruising of the intercostal muscles, with no apparent cause!

Whether or not it's universally true is, as you like to put it, irrelevant or useless.

What matters is what people associate with "heart attack". If you'd step outside of your bubble for a moment, you would probably realize that most people would associate "painful" with "heart attack".
Reply 46
Original post by cat_mac
It’d be a mockery of the capabilities of women if we all had paid leave a week every month. That’s as good as banishing women to huts when they’re on their periods.

Women who have pains so bad that they can’t function in daily life should have some kind of doctors note or disability allowance, it should be the exception not the rule.

Yep.
Original post by yudothis

most people would associate "painful" with "heart attack".

So we are reduced to universally following what the ignorant among us believe? By that logic we would not have MMR vaccines (or any other), would never wake sleepwalkers for fear of killing them with a heart attack and would make much greater use of homeopathy.
What is difficult to understand is why you chose a thread title which uses the word 'finally' and implies that doctors have only now become aware of this fact. They haven't. It has been known for a very long time indeed.

Now that you have lost your other argument, you deflect to some other annoyance you have.
Original post by yudothis
Now that you have lost your other argument,

Eh? You believe that all heart attacks are painful, do you?
Original post by CookieButter
x

Do you feel the same way about people with disabilities or illnesses/diseases?

You are happy to discriminate against a group of people solely based on what happened upon conception?
Eh? You believe that all heart attacks are painful, do you?

Actually I don't. In fact, did you know we don't actually feel our heart?

Read what I wrote again, it's not about whether it's true but what reaction it elicits.
Original post by cat_mac

Believe it or not feminists have been successful in their pursuit of paid leave for women during periods in many countries around the globe. Many countries in this part of the world are discussing implementing this policy.

The funniest thing about it all is that feminists used to argue that periods were used as an excuse to keep women out of work and that that was sexist because periods did not affect a woman's ability to work in any way. Now they want to get women off work for their periods with paid leave. This is the level of hypocrisy in feminism. Its got nothing to do with logic or fairness between women and men. Its all about money and power.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by CookieButter
Believe it or not feminists have been successful in their pursuit of paid leave for women during periods in many countries around the globe. Many countries in this part of the world are discussing implementing this policy.

The funniest thing about it all is that feminists used to argue that periods were used as an excuse to keep women out of work and that periods did not effect a woman's ability to work in any way. Now they use the same argument to get women off work. This is the level of hypocrisy in feminism. Its got nothing to do with logic or fairness between women and men. Its all about money and power.

I assumed it was other countries being ‘behind the times’ and not letting women work because of a cultural attitude against periods, not feminism?

I detest the idea that I’m not able to do something because of my period, as do many other women. I highly doubt those who argued for working on periods are the same ones as the women wanting time off work for periods now. (Women being individuals and not all following the same ideologies and all that)

imo the big problem with feminism is everyone has their own set of values, and just claim that feminists with different values are ‘fake’ feminists. Since there’s no leader or structure to modern feminism it looks like hypocrisy, because Betty from manchester is campaigning for equal pay in the name of feminism while Tammy from leeds blogs about wanting women to have more pay than men in the name of feminism.

Anyways:
If women are experiencing excruciating pain that stops their day to day life, it should be treated as a disability or there needs to be more work into fixing that issue. Giving all women paid leave on their periods is like giving everyone a wheelchair because some people can’t walk.
Original post by Chief Wiggum
Nope, as a male doctor, I think I'm capable of understanding that period pains can be incredibly painful.

The thread title is utterly ludicrous though.

Obviously a period pain can be "more painful" than a heart attack. This is not something that is being "finally confirmed".

It actually says that a period pain can be “as painful as a heart attack”
So we are reduced to universally following what the ignorant among us believe? By that logic we would not have MMR vaccines (or any other), would never wake sleepwalkers for fear of killing them with a heart attack and would make much greater use of homeopathy.

But he ain't wrong though :biggrin:
It actually says that a period pain can be “as painful as a heart attack”

True, yes, that's what you'd written, but nevertheless, I certainly think a period pain could be more painful than a heart attack.
Original post by Jheinexx
Which is why women should get paid leave when they are on their periods. I feel like i’m dying when i’m on it. Horrible.

In Italy you could get leave for period related issues.not sure if it's paid tho. My period pain only lasts the first two days,after that I'm able to get back on my feet
Not really suprised. My period pains can get so excruciating to the point where I have to crawl to places in my home.

I definitely think it should be considered as a valid reason to miss work. Periods do not just include leaking blood every month, people do experience a vast range of symptoms, I.e Nausea, Migraines etc. that can impact your performance in School or Work.
Reply 59
My first thought is that i'm against women taking time off

but having never had a period myself perhaps i'm a bit ill qualified to say it can't be that bad? .... I do wonder.......

Latest

Trending

Trending