The Student Room Group

Mueller vs Trump: the Hero vs the Con Artist

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/trump-vs-mueller-is-a-battle-for-americas-soul/2018/02/26/0979904c-1b19-11e8-9de1-147dd2df3829_story.html?utm_term=.65fd28003810

It really is mind-boggling how anyone can continue to support the corrupt traitor in the White House. But mark my words, two years from now you won't be able to find anyone who admits to having supported Trump. They will all claim it was someone else, that they never really believed in him or cheered him on.

Mueller was born to wealth and attended elite institutions St. Paul’s School, Princeton University, the University of Virginia School of Law but felt compelled to serve his country. During the Vietnam War, when most of his classmates were avoiding the draft, he volunteered for the Marine Corps and earned numerous decorations leading a rifle platoon in fierce combat. Returning home, he became a prosecutor and eventually ran the Justice Department’s criminal division. In the 1990s Mueller went into private practice. It was lucrative, but he hated it. Watching the spike of drug-driven murders in the District of Columbia, he volunteered to become a line prosecutor in the U.S. attorney’s office. It was as if a retired general had volunteered to serve as a private in wartime.

Later, as FBI director under Presidents George W. Bush and Barack Obama, Mueller became the embodiment of the old-school G-man who only wore a white shirt with a red or blue tie never a blue shirt, because that would signal dangerous frivolity. He “avoided the limelight” and “frustrated his speechwriters by crossing out every ‘I’ in speeches they wrote for him. It wasn’t about him, he told them: ‘It’s about the organization.’ ”

Trump is Mueller’s opposite in every meaningful respect save that he was also born to privilege. He has much in common with the land promoters who bamboozled English immigrants into coming to the New World in the 17th century with fanciful tales of riches what Trump would describe as “truthful hyperbole.” He is the kind of charming con man who peddled patent medicines in the 19th century and then, in the 20th century, penny stocks and time-shares.

Trump combines the hedonism of the 1970s with the bigotry and sexism of the 1950s: the worst of both worlds. His consciousness was not raised in the 1960s, but his libido was. He did not take part in the civil rights or antiwar movements and won five draft deferments including one for “bone spurs” so that he could devote his life to the pursuit of women and wealth. He later said that fear of catching a sexually transmitted disease was “my personal Vietnam.”

A product of the “me decade,” Trump is a “me first”— not “America first” president whose speeches are full of exaggerated or falsified self-praise.

Mueller is the best of America; Trump the worst. All you need to know about the diseased state of today’s Republican Party is that it reviles Mueller and reveres Trump. Hitherto the champions of personal responsibility and rectitude, Republicans have embraced a culture of self-indulgence that they denounced when it was symbolized by Trump’s fellow draft-dodger Bill Clinton. This shift in the tectonic plates of the culture may long outlast the current administration.

(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by AlexanderHam
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/trump-vs-mueller-is-a-battle-for-americas-soul/2018/02/26/0979904c-1b19-11e8-9de1-147dd2df3829_story.html?utm_term=.65fd28003810

It really is mind-boggling how anyone can continue to support the corrupt traitor in the White House. But mark my words, two years from now you won't be able to find anyone who admits to having supported Trump. They will all claim it was someone else, that they never really believed in him or cheered him on.

Mueller is absolutely the true patriot here. This investigation has been done very well so far (albeit very little has come out of it in terms of prosecutions) but he's going for the big fish, Trump.

He's a republican too. Whilst I may not like all his politics, i've developed great admiration for a man who wants to protect America's integrity and expose the corruption at the top. Frankly, that branch of conservatism is what's needed, alongside a liberal opposition that isnt so elitist like the democrats right now.

You're absolutely right that people will "jump off the Trump train" as Paul Joseph (moron) Watson did at one point. This Mueller investigation is going to reveal so many bombshells people aren't even ready for.

I'd recommend you check out the reddit page r/RussiaLago. It really shows you the full extent of this investigation. For example Schiffer's memo showed that there were independent sources that verified that the Steele Dossier was indeed true. However I will warn you that it can get annoyingly sensationalist but I guess everyone's excited for the collapse of government lol
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
I'm inclined to ask how does simply doing his job make him a hero? Especially when he hasnt uncovered anything worthy of indictment yet?
I wonder when they start investigating the democratic party :confused:
Mueller: "when most of his classmates were avoiding the draft, he volunteered for the Marine Corps and earned numerous decorations leading a rifle platoon in fierce combat"

Trump: "won five draft deferments including one for “bone spurs” so that he could devote his life to the pursuit of women and wealth. He later said that fear of catching a sexually transmitted disease was “my personal Vietnam.” "

Also Trump: "I would have run into school during shooting even without a gun"

lmfao. that orange monkey is a complete joke. how can anyone take him serious, ever, in any situation.
Original post by Napp
I'm inclined to ask how does simply doing his job make him a hero? Especially when he hasnt uncovered anything worthy of indictment yet?

"During the Vietnam War, when most of his classmates were avoiding the draft, he volunteered for the Marine Corps and earned numerous decorations leading a rifle platoon in fierce combat. Returning home, he became a prosecutor and eventually ran the Justice Department’s criminal division. In the 1990s Mueller went into private practice. It was lucrative, but he hated it. Watching the spike of drug-driven murders in the District of Columbia, he volunteered to become a line prosecutor in the U.S. attorney’s office. It was as if a retired general had volunteered to serve as a private in wartime."

As far as most humans go, this guy is quite far at the top.
Robert Mueller - They call him "the FBI'S puppet" "Lying establishment scum" "Hilary's dog". The amount of hate he has received for this investigation and yet continues to stand strong just shows how dedicated he is towards justice.
Original post by Napp

He has stood up bravely and done his patriotic duty in the face of vicious attacks from both the Trumptards and Sanders camp (Sanders has been under fire for Russian bot support during 2016 election too).
Reply 8
Original post by yudothis
"During the Vietnam War, when most of his classmates were avoiding the draft, he volunteered for the Marine Corps and earned numerous decorations leading a rifle platoon in fierce combat. Returning home, he became a prosecutor and eventually ran the Justice Department’s criminal division. In the 1990s Mueller went into private practice. It was lucrative, but he hated it. Watching the spike of drug-driven murders in the District of Columbia, he volunteered to become a line prosecutor in the U.S. attorney’s office. It was as if a retired general had volunteered to serve as a private in wartime."

As far as most humans go, this guy is quite far at the top.

Original post by AngeryPenguin
He has stood up bravely and done his patriotic duty in the face of vicious attacks from both the Trumptards and Sanders camp (Sanders has been under fire for Russian bot support during 2016 election too).

I feel i have to point out the difference between taking fire from charlie and dealing with a fatuous egotist like Trump. The former is definitely heroin and what hes dpoing now is commendable but to say its heroic does little but water down that accolade imo.
Original post by yudothis
Mueller: "when most of his classmates were avoiding the draft, he volunteered for the Marine Corps and earned numerous decorations leading a rifle platoon in fierce combat"

Trump: "won five draft deferments including one for “bone spurs” so that he could devote his life to the pursuit of women and wealth. He later said that fear of catching a sexually transmitted disease was “my personal Vietnam.” "

Also Trump: "I would have run into school during shooting even without a gun"

lmfao. that orange monkey is a complete joke. how can anyone take him serious, ever, in any situation.

You hit the nail on the head. Mueller is the embodiment of selflessness and a devotion to country and to public service. For all the corrosive cynicism in modern politics, there are still many such people in government service. There are many people who get a first at Oxford and then go into the military or into the civil service, rather than the guaranteed life of wealth and privilege they could enjoy if they went to work in the city.

Conservatives used to revere and support that sort of attitude. Now, American conservatism's sense of patriotism and moral authority has completely collapsed. They are basically held together only by their willingness to accept any immorality, any hypocrisy, any man no matter how corrupt or traitorous, just so long as they "trigger liberals".
They'd better get on with it and fast, it's now 2018 and fewer than a thousand days till the next election. Because it is a cert Trump won't be re-elected, the thing runs the risk of turning into a personal vendetta of no public relevance with regard to the alleged 'Russian interference in the 2016 elections'. Nobody will care any more so... hurry up. The weekly threads on 'is this the end of Trump' in here will be no more, everyone will be basking in awe of whoever the Democrats elect. Some woman, probably.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending