The Student Room Group

study leave !!!!!!!!!

in my school we aren't going to get study leave for gcses. the year before mine didn't either.
but i know some other schools do, would you say study leave is helpful? or is it good that my teachers aren't allowing it?
It can be useful.. and if you feel you really need it maybe bring the issue up or just be "ill"....:tongue: But its also important to go to the subjects that you know you can get some revision done in with the teacher there to help...its all on preference really :smile::h:
Reply 2
Original post by PU_Student
It can be useful.. and if you feel you really need it maybe bring the issue up or just be "ill"....:tongue: But its also important to go to the subjects that you know you can get some revision done in with the teacher there to help...its all on preference really :smile::h:

i just feel like it's easier for me to study at home because at school it has to be silent or listening to music with earphones, both of which i can't do. i wish there was an option but most things i need to ask teachers can be found on google? :biggrin:
Original post by zmwxkhr
i just feel like it's easier for me to study at home because at school it has to be silent or listening to music with earphones, both of which i can't do. i wish there was an option but most things i need to ask teachers can be found on google? :biggrin:

How do you usually study, do you talk out loud or something? (btw this doesn't mean to sound sarcastic
Original post by zmwxkhr

If you're with teachers learning is more personal and you can go through something step by step with them...BUT if you do prefer staying at home to revise here are a few tips:
1) Eliminate distractions, give your phone to someone else for a while so you won't be tempted
2) Follow specifications, no matter how small the point, it may come up on the day!
3)If you are stuck, go in the next day and ask a teacher, don't procrastinate!
4) If you do want study leave and you cant get it, just pull a few sickies here and there, they will know you're studying, everybody does it! :biggrin::smile:
Hope everything goes well!:h:
Reply 5
Original post by conconnie
How do you usually study, do you talk out loud or something? (btw this doesn't mean to sound sarcastic

this sounds weird but if i’m memorising something like for english/ history/ geography i usually walk around a lot and say it out loud repeatedly until i remember it. with maths and sciences i use videos on the internet to help, also which i can’t do in school (youtube is blocked on school computers).
Reply 6
Original post by PU_Student
If you're with teachers learning is more personal and you can go through something step by step with them...BUT if you do prefer staying at home to revise here are a few tips:
1) Eliminate distractions, give your phone to someone else for a while so you won't be tempted
2) Follow specifications, no matter how small the point, it may come up on the day!
3)If you are stuck, go in the next day and ask a teacher, don't procrastinate!
4) If you do want study leave and you cant get it, just pull a few sickies here and there, they will know you're studying, everybody does it! :biggrin::smile:
Hope everything goes well!:h:

this is really helpful especially because i get distracted a lot. thank you!
Original post by zmwxkhr
this sounds weird but if i’m memorising something like for english/ history/ geography i usually walk around a lot and say it out loud repeatedly until i remember it. with maths and sciences i use videos on the internet to help, also which i can’t do in school (youtube is blocked on school computers).

Ah ok, well I had a friend who decided that what the school had decided was best for everyone was not best for her so she went against the school and stayed home (my school preferred students to stay in school for revision) she got into a bit of a drama with the school but ended up with the best GCSE results in our year group (something along the lines of 12 A*'s) so bottom line is, revise the best way for you and even if the school disagress send a very long email from your parents and I assume you will be leaving anyway's afterwards to go to sixth form college (unless your school has an all through system).

Also I did double science GCSE and I highly recommend the channel 'free science lessons' the guy is great and has videos for every single topic in science as he covers all sciences and topics induvidually.
My school isn’t either. We don’t even have a set leaving date! We might not get out of school until after our exams have started, it’s rubbish!
Reply 9
Original post by conconnie
Ah ok, well I had a friend who decided that what the school had decided was best for everyone was not best for her so she went against the school and stayed home (my school preferred students to stay in school for revision) she got into a bit of a drama with the school but ended up with the best GCSE results in our year group (something along the lines of 12 A*'s) so bottom line is, revise the best way for you and even if the school disagress send a very long email from your parents and I assume you will be leaving anyway's afterwards to go to sixth form college (unless your school has an all through system).

Also I did double science GCSE and I highly recommend the channel 'free science lessons' the guy is great and has videos for every single topic in science as he covers all sciences and topics induvidually.

yes i dont think i will take too much time off because i dont wanna piss off the school but a week or two maybe sounds good. also thank you for the science reccomendation!
Reply 10
Original post by Conniestitution
My school isn’t either. We don’t even have a set leaving date! We might not get out of school until after our exams have started, it’s rubbish!

my situation too they havent said anything on when we're actually leaving, im convinced i still have to go to school til the last exam
Reply 11
Last year my school told us we weren't having study leave so we still had to come to school even during the exams and go to normal lessons. Most teachers let us do whatever revision we wanted but some made us revise for their subject. I hated it tbh but I sat something like 24 exams so for the two weeks before may half term I had an exam nearly every day and didn't spend much time in lessons. Luckily just before half term our head of year told us that we could have study leave but our parents had to get in contact with school so that's what I did, although if school hadn't allowed this I probably wouldn't have gone in anyway (I was leaving so didn't care whether I pissed the school off). If you know you can work better at home try and talk to the school about it.
Reply 12
Also, you normally leave school after the last core exam. So last year most schools finished on the 16th June (I think?!). I had a chemistry exam in the morning, followed by a leavers assembly. However there were some more exams the following week but it was only like 4 and they were minor ones like further maths. Legally you don't leave school until after all of the exams but I've never heard of schools keeping students there that long
Study leave was way better for me, didn’t have teachers forcing me to revise topics i had already mastered. If you really need it take it off, it’s just for the slackers in your year. It’s the whole reason they introduced it into my year because the year before us did awful!
We had study leave given to us on a really random Thursday in the middle of exams during our GCSEs. For me and the vast majority of independent learners, study leave does seem to be essential hence taking days of being 'ill' actually support and promote the independent learning process. Especially, as there are different abilities of students in a class, and they need to work on different things it is a bit inconvinent for students when they know what they need. I found it easier to have a teacher for my essay subjects who would check my English, History, Drama and Sociology work and he helped me with exam-style questions; whenever we were both free and available ie. afterschool (after a PM exam).

Hence, for my A-Levels I really do hope we get time during the exams off because it is essential in deepening our understanding of individual/ independent study.
Reply 15
Original post by amyXXVI
Last year my school told us we weren't having study leave so we still had to come to school even during the exams and go to normal lessons. Most teachers let us do whatever revision we wanted but some made us revise for their subject. I hated it tbh but I sat something like 24 exams so for the two weeks before may half term I had an exam nearly every day and didn't spend much time in lessons. Luckily just before half term our head of year told us that we could have study leave but our parents had to get in contact with school so that's what I did, although if school hadn't allowed this I probably wouldn't have gone in anyway (I was leaving so didn't care whether I pissed the school off). If you know you can work better at home try and talk to the school about it.

yeah i think i will talk to the school about it because it sounds **** when you have an exam but youre forced to revise in lesson, for me nothing would go in when sat in class
Reply 16
Original post by Noodlestudent
Study leave was way better for me, didn’t have teachers forcing me to revise topics i had already mastered. If you really need it take it off, it’s just for the slackers in your year. It’s the whole reason they introduced it into my year because the year before us did awful!

really? the year before mine did awful in their mocks which is the whole reason why we're not having study leave
Reply 17
Original post by Pearlfection1
We had study leave given to us on a really random Thursday in the middle of exams during our GCSEs. For me and the vast majority of independent learners, study leave does seem to be essential hence taking days of being 'ill' actually support and promote the independent learning process. Especially, as there are different abilities of students in a class, and they need to work on different things it is a bit inconvinent for students when they know what they need. I found it easier to have a teacher for my essay subjects who would check my English, History, Drama and Sociology work and he helped me with exam-style questions; whenever we were both free and available ie. afterschool (after a PM exam).

Hence, for my A-Levels I really do hope we get time during the exams off because it is essential in deepening our understanding of individual/ independent study.

yes most people say that study leave is better for independent learners but i guess it depends on the subject? like for you it would be for essay based subjects but for me id need more help with science practise quedstions
I do English Lit, Maths and Psychology at A-Level so to have a teacher is pretty essential but if you can find a teacher like I did it's alot more useful than sitting in lessons listening to teachers talk out their husband's sister's mother-in-law's dog.
Depends on how you learn. If you get distracted easily or have no motivation, then study leave won't be helpful and you'll benefit from having structured lessons with a teacher there to guide you. If you are capable of working independently then study leave would be a good choice as it allows you the freedom of choosing which subjects to study and for how long, which topics etc. I do think you should only have to go into school for the exam on that day though, no lessons before or after.

My partner's daughter is in Year 11 and I'd much rather her study at school as she needs someone to constantly push her to get work done and to revise the subjects she struggles with.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending