The Student Room Group

Why are there no legal protections for the homeless in winter?

Scroll to see replies

US? Lol they have a homeless city so don't compare GB
Reply 21
Original post by Reue
So you went along to your local council infrastructure committee to make that point?

So again; you're going to open up your home? Why should someone else be forced to do so?

My town hall is a museum. I doubt many homeless would fit around the
bayeux tapestry replica.

My home is my home, I have the right to a private and family life. Your argument is absurd, using a vacant office for a few nights is perfectly fine?
Reply 22
Original post by Zxyn
My home is my home, I have the right to a private and family life. Your argument is absurd, using a vacant office for a few nights is perfectly fine?

You have no spare rooms in your home? Many do, why not use those?
Reply 23
Original post by Reue
You have no spare rooms in your home? Many do, why not use those?

I have 3 spare rooms but thats not the point! It’s the governments duty to protect lives of people
Reply 24
Original post by Zxyn
I have 3 spare rooms but thats not the point! It’s the governments duty to protect lives of people

It's the government's duty to do what the population wish of it.. and the conservative government currently control a majority.
because the govt and by extension the tax payer who on average earn 26k a year, doesnt owe you or anyone else a house
The current governments prefered response to poverty in this country is to pretend it doesn't exist.
Reply 27
Original post by Reue
It's the government's duty to do what the population wish of it.. and the conservative government currently control a majority.

Do they control them though? That’s not what I’ve read
Reply 28
Original post by Zxyn
Do they control them though? That’s not what I’ve read

Who knows, but I don't remember reading in their manifesto that they would house every homeless person in the country.
Reply 29
Original post by Reue
Who knows, but I don't remember reading in their manifesto that they would house every homeless person in the country.

That wasn’t even my point, I said SHELTER in LIFE THREATENING conditions not PERMANENT HOUSING.
Reply 30
Original post by ByEeek
It is very sad isn't it. There used to be homeless shelters prior to 2010. Then the Tories got in and shut them all down.

What utter *******s.

Not only that, I'm sure if the number of homeless shelters actually increased during this time, the less cerebral far-left would criticise the Tories for that too.
Reply 31
Original post by Zxyn
That wasn’t even my point, I said SHELTER in LIFE THREATENING conditions not PERMANENT HOUSING.

And if they then refuse to leave?
Original post by Gwilym101
The current governments prefered response to poverty in this country is to pretend it doesn't exist.

Just like the negative outcomes if we go through with Brexit.
Original post by L i b
What utter *******s.

Not only that, I'm sure if the number of homeless shelters actually increased during this time, the less cerebral far-left would criticise the Tories for that too.

So how do you explain the increased number of homeless people on our streets? 10 years ago, there were practically none. 10 years ago, a Food Bank wasn't even a thing.
Original post by Zxyn
Even plenty of states in the USA got this one right. If people have the right to life, the government has a duty to protect them in life threatening conditions. Why is there no legislation or debate around this?

I actually don't know. There should be.
Reply 35
Original post by ByEeek
So how do you explain the increased number of homeless people on our streets? 10 years ago, there were practically none. 10 years ago, a Food Bank wasn't even a thing.

I'm not disputing that rough sleeping has increased since about 2014 onwards, but it is utter bull-**** to pretend there are now no homeless shelters in the UK. There are many, across virtually every city and large town in the country.

Rough sleepers have often been through shelters: some are excluded from them due to problems with addiction. Mental health also plays a significant part.

In terms of food poverty, that has certainly always been a thing. Organisations like the Salvation Army and churches have been providing free food to the poor for decades.
Original post by L i b

Rough sleepers have often been through shelters: some are excluded from them due to problems with addiction. Mental health also plays a significant part.

That's a fair point. And it is widely recognised that mental health and adult social services have been cut to the bare bones, the result being an increase in homelessness and A+E and the police being left to mop up issues that they were never intended to deal with. I don't know if you remember what public services were like after 13 years of Tory rule in the 80s and 90s, but it wasn't far off what we have now. I remember there was a big stink over the fact that many operations in hospital had waiting lists of 18+ months. Labour reduced that to 18 weeks which was the norm until a year or so ago. I am not saying Labour are perfect, but things seemed to be much better during the Labour years than the last 8 years. I am struggling to think of anything the Tories have done in the last 8 years that is good. Can you?
Original post by Reue
Ok, so how many nurses/policeman/firemen should we fire to fund it instead?

The likelihood is that the taxes you pay do not cover your own net usage of services.

There are other ways to fund things without firing people.
Original post by ByEeek
That's a fair point. And it is widely recognised that mental health and adult social services have been cut to the bare bones, the result being an increase in homelessness and A+E and the police being left to mop up issues that they were never intended to deal with. I don't know if you remember what public services were like after 13 years of Tory rule in the 80s and 90s, but it wasn't far off what we have now. I remember there was a big stink over the fact that many operations in hospital had waiting lists of 18+ months. Labour reduced that to 18 weeks which was the norm until a year or so ago. I am not saying Labour are perfect, but things seemed to be much better during the Labour years than the last 8 years. I am struggling to think of anything the Tories have done in the last 8 years that is good. Can you?

Gay marriage. That's about all I can think of right now.

I was only 8 years old when Blair came to power so perhaps I'm not in the best place to comment, but I think you're right. The crisis of 2008 was obviously a turning point, but that was 10 years ago now. Can anyone really stand up and say, honestly, that it feels like we've made 10 years' worth of progress? Of course Labour weren't perfect, but I don't remember the public mood ever being this miserable, this divisive, this hopeless. While I was too young to be politically aware, I can't imagine my parents ever expected the future to look so bleak for me and my generation. Everything seems to be in permanent crisis, not just economically, but culturally. Housing sucks. The NHS sucks. Social care sucks. The job market sucks. The music scene sucks. Everything seems more difficult than it used to be. Optimism is out, anxiety and uncertainty are in. Nothing seems to be working the way it should. It can't all be a case of me growing up - the stats back it up. To some extent this is a global trend, and realistically it can't all be blamed on the Tories, but this country seems to be having a much rougher time of it than its peers. What exactly is the Tories' vision for the future of this country? Where do I feature in it? What about those worse off than me? It's literally impossible for me to imagine our present course producing any kind of positive outcome. It feels like for many, many people, Tory rule is no longer something we just have to get through before Labour get their turn again - it's become overtly stifling, toxic and impossible to accept.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 39
Original post by HighOnGoofballs
There are other ways to fund things without firing people.

Ok; how many extra £000s worth of tax are you willing to pay?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending