Hi,

I have chosen these subjects so far:-

Chemistry HL
Biology HL
Spanish HL

Maths SL
English SL
????

I don't know what to choose for my Group 3 option - should I go for psychology, philosophy or economics? I want a slightly easier option. Can someone please give me some advice?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Not philosophy
Reply 2
Hi Ajayma - why not??
Reply 3
Coming from someone who does VERY similar subjects to you as it is, I would probably go for the one that you find easiest to maximise that final score. You will want to dedicate all of your time to your HLs, as the 2nd year you dont want to be worrying about your SLs. From what I have heard, Economics is quite easy.
Reply 4
Thanks Uuloffi. That' why I wanted to choose economics because i keep hearing that its easy. I wanted to really focus on He's as you said. How are you finding IB so far?
honestly I did psych sl in an year and I found it rather straightforward... just lots of memorization of studies

btw also did double science HL... Chem and Bio :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by SahotaK
Thanks Uuloffi. That' why I wanted to choose economics because i keep hearing that its easy. I wanted to really focus on He's as you said. How are you finding IB so far?

I really enjoy it! I couldnt reccomend it more, as long as you keep on top of things, do extra research on your course (for example I finished my EE before christmas in IB1, although unnecessary, it has saved me a lot of time) and keep to deadlines :smile:
Reply 7
That's so good to hear and thanks so much for the advice. Which subjects did you choose?
Reply 8
Original post by SahotaK
That's so good to hear and thanks so much for the advice. Which subjects did you choose?

No problem dude :smile:

HL:
Chemistry, Biology, Rnglish Literature
SL:
Maths (SL), Spanish (B), Geography

Just to add - are you fluent in Spanish or any languages similar to it? (Portuguese etc.) This is because I wanted to do HL Spanish too, I got an A* with full UMS in all of my papers yet I was absolutely baffled the second I stepped foot in that class. :s
Reply 9
Original post by Uuloffi
No problem dude :smile:

HL:
Chemistry, Biology, Rnglish Literature
SL:
Maths (SL), Spanish (B), Geography

Just to add - are you fluent in Spanish or any languages similar to it? (Portuguese etc.) This is because I wanted to do HL Spanish too, I got an A* with full UMS in all of my papers yet I was absolutely baffled the second I stepped foot in that class. :s

I am only as fluent in Spanish as igcse has made me. I'm definitely not a native speaker! I just really love the language. I hope I can manage HL! How are you finding chemistry, biology and maths?
Reply 10
Original post by wolfmoon88
honestly I did psych sl in an year and I found it rather straightforward... just lots of memorization of studies

btw also did double science HL... Chem and Bio :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi Wolfmoon. I heard about the memorization of loads of dates and studies with psychology and it sounded like a lot of work too. That's
what is putting me off it. It also seems quite hard to get a top grade.
Original post by SahotaK
I am only as fluent in Spanish as igcse has made me. I'm definitely not a native speaker! I just really love the language. I hope I can manage HL! How are you finding chemistry, biology and maths?

Biology is dead easy as long as you pay attention in your lessons, I love the subject but it is pure regurgitation of facts. Chemistry was my faveorite science- until IB. I still really enjoy the subject don’t get me wrong, but there will be a massive learning curve if you are like anyone i know. Stoichiometry is topic 1 and it is a pain but once you understand that all the topics sort of make sense. I full stop hate maths because I do standard level and I am bot the best. Although I got an A at GCSE I thought ut would be easier but boy was I wrong - revise the second you get into the course unless you have a natural flare for maths (unlike myself.) Regarding Spanish HL, I would REALLY reccomend talking to an IB Spanish teacher or looking up what you have to do in the course, I have Italian friends who struggle with the HL part of the course (but that doesn’t mean you can’t try!) You seem to love the language so you will obviously find it easier than others in terms of getting a grip. However it is just one big grammar course, so get on thouse conjugation tables haha :wink:
Original post by SahotaK
Hi Wolfmoon. I heard about the memorization of loads of dates and studies with psychology and it sounded like a lot of work too. That's
what is putting me off it. It also seems quite hard to get a top grade.

It's not that bad... all you need to do is memorize a couple of key studies and dates that can apply to multiple prompts. Depends on what you mean by a top grade? I got a mid/high 6 without stressing too much if it helps.
Reply 13
Original post by Uuloffi
Biology is dead easy as long as you pay attention in your lessons, I love the subject but it is pure regurgitation of facts. Chemistry was my faveorite science- until IB. I still really enjoy the subject don’t get me wrong, but there will be a massive learning curve if you are like anyone i know. Stoichiometry is topic 1 and it is a pain but once you understand that all the topics sort of make sense. I full stop hate maths because I do standard level and I am bot the best. Although I got an A at GCSE I thought ut would be easier but boy was I wrong - revise the second you get into the course unless you have a natural flare for maths (unlike myself.) Regarding Spanish HL, I would REALLY reccomend talking to an IB Spanish teacher or looking up what you have to do in the course, I have Italian friends who struggle with the HL part of the course (but that doesn’t mean you can’t try!) You seem to love the language so you will obviously find it easier than others in terms of getting a grip. However it is just one big grammar course, so get on thouse conjugation tables haha :wink:

Chemistry is my favourite science too! I'm the same about Maths as you are. Hope I'll find SL ok. Did you ever consider Maths Studies? Spanish HL sounds a bit scary now but I really don't want to give it up and wanted to take my learning up a notch which was why I was going to go for HL but not sure now :frown:. Do you know how IB compares to the new A levels? A few of my friends are opting for A levels and they think that I'm crazy going for IB!
Reply 14
It's not that bad... all you need to do is memorize a couple of key studies and dates that can apply to multiple prompts. Depends on what you mean by a top grade? I got a mid/high 6 without stressing too much if it helps.

You'e made it seem ok. I heard that it was hundreds of dates and studies that you had to memorize and that it was a real slog to do this!
Original post by SahotaK
You'e made it seem ok. I heard that it was hundreds of dates and studies that you had to memorize and that it was a real slog to do this!

You have to study smart to maximise work and time output. Memorizing that many studies and dates is not a good use of time imo. Choose key studies to memorise and it should be fine.
Original post by SahotaK
Chemistry is my favourite science too! I'm the same about Maths as you are. Hope I'll find SL ok. Did you ever consider Maths Studies? Spanish HL sounds a bit scary now but I really don't want to give it up and wanted to take my learning up a notch which was why I was going to go for HL but not sure now :frown:. Do you know how IB compares to the new A levels? A few of my friends are opting for A levels and they think that I'm crazy going for IB!

Boy, did I want to drop to maths studies about 500 tomes in my 6 month IB career. Heres the thing though - I want to do Medicine, and although Maths SL isn’t required it makes your application more competitvie, therefore its worth the push. Yet if you struggle a lot in the furst couple months, DROP IT. Its not worth your point score. Im sorry from scaring you from HL! However this is coming from someone who got an A* in Mandarin and has self taught other languages to the point of fluency... and I struggle with SL Spanish. If you are really good at grammar I would say go for it, but remember you have to read an entire book in Spanish along with writing a review on it, which sounds like my worst nightmare. Furthermore, A-Levels just seem boring to me from what I have seen! If you go to a good school and surround yourself with good, studious people (generally a lot of IB students are dedicated) you are guaranteed good grades. Your friends may call you crazy but Universities will definitely favour you over them.
Reply 17
Original post by Uuloffi
Boy, did I want to drop to maths studies about 500 tomes in my 6 month IB career. Heres the thing though - I want to do Medicine, and although Maths SL isn’t required it makes your application more competitvie, therefore its worth the push. Yet if you struggle a lot in the furst couple months, DROP IT. Its not worth your point score. Im sorry from scaring you from HL! However this is coming from someone who got an A* in Mandarin and has self taught other languages to the point of fluency... and I struggle with SL Spanish. If you are really good at grammar I would say go for it, but remember you have to read an entire book in Spanish along with writing a review on it, which sounds like my worst nightmare. Furthermore, A-Levels just seem boring to me from what I have seen! If you go to a good school and surround yourself with good, studious people (generally a lot of IB students are dedicated) you are guaranteed good grades. Your friends may call you crazy but Universities will definitely favour you over them.

I am so glad you said that about universities favouring IB. I have also heard this but so many people have also said that universities don't
Understand IB as week as A levels in this country and ask for a much higher point score than A level grades. Also wondered, do you know anything about Philosophy SL and how people find it?
Reply 18
You have to study smart to maximise work and time output. Memorizing that many studies and dates is not a good use of time imo. Choose key studies to memorise and it should be fine.

That sounds like a very sensible idea to me. Do you know anyone who has opted for either Economics or Philosophy SL? Just wondered how people found them.
Original post by SahotaK
I am so glad you said that about universities favouring IB. I have also heard this but so many people have also said that universities don't
Understand IB as week as A levels in this country and ask for a much higher point score than A level grades. Also wondered, do you know anything about Philosophy SL and how people find it?

45pts in the IB is equivalent to 5a*s at A-Level, and nope, the course isn’t offered in my school.

Quick Reply

Latest