The Student Room Group

Supermarkets Banning the Sale of Energy Drinks to Under-16s from this month!

Do you agree with this?

Or do you think it will lead to young people treating them in a similar way to alcohol - i.e. asking older people to simply go in and buy them?

I couldn't get the link to copy, but this was all over my timeline today. Think it was on B31.

Scroll to see replies

Yes. The amount of under 16s I know that drink them consistently is astonishing. I don't think that they should even be open for consumption of under 16s especially students.
Reply 2
Stores have made the decision to do so themselves, they're private companies and can impose whatever restrictions they like.

And no, I don't think we'll see 14 year olds desperate for their fix of monster harassing 17 year olds to go in and buy cans for them.
Reply 3
does lucozade count
Nah, they'll just get a quid bottle of Boost from their local corner shop.

Which taste like cat pish, in case anyone's interested.
Original post by SaDe7
does lucozade count

I can't imagine so, it's only for drinks that have a caffeine content of 150 mg per litre or more.
Not that I've ever checked how much it has.
Reply 6
Original post by independentx
I can't imagine so, it's only for drinks that have a caffeine content of 150 mg per litre or more.
Not that I've ever checked how much it has.

yeah it's 120 i was just thinking since everyone at my school chugs down a litre of those during lessons
Interesting!

I'm 15 and drink them, but I could stop (I'm definitely not addicted to them and can go months without having one). I like my coffee too much!
But many of my friends will find this a difficult thing I can imagine.

Don't think it will apply to independent shops, though. Dunno though.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 8
Interesting!

I'm 15 and drink them, but I could stop (I'm definitely not addicted to them and can go months without having one).
But many of my friends will find this a difficult thing I can imagine.

Don't think it will apply to independent shops, though. Dunno though.

If they'll find it difficult it's even more reason why they should stop.

And no, it only applies to shops that choose to have it.
Reply 9
Sounds like a stupid idea. I know they aren't healthy and I've never drunk one, or not for several years, but eill they ban biscuits and chocolate too? Alcohol is different in how it works so it isn't quite the same and I think the idea is stupid.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Drewski
If they'll find it difficult it's even more reason why they should stop.

And no, it only applies to shops that choose to have it.

True.
I think a couple of the independent shops near me already have it, but I don't think the restriction is very strict in them (I, being 5'10, have never had a problem).
Original post by Bio 7
Sounds like a stupid idea. I know they aren't healthy and I've never drunk one, or not for several years, but eill they ban biscuits and chocolate too? Alcohol is different in how it works so it isn't quite the same and I think the idea is stupid.

I probably shouldn't have compared them to alcohol thinking about it now.

Yeah, there's just so so many restrictions nowadays. It's getting hard to keep up!
Reply 12
I probably shouldn't have compared them to alcohol thinking about it now.

Yeah, there's just so so many restrictions nowadays. It's getting hard to keep up!

With the alcohol I meant in regards to how it affects the body just in case anyone thought different.

Your comment on it was entertaining.
It's stupid, you don't need caffeine until you're 30. Or if you're being deprived of sleep at home which is something to be addressed itself anyway.
School lads treat them as alcohol, how any they down a day etc. It says no suitable for 🔞 but still sold
Reply 15
Original post by Pearlfection1
Yes. The amount of under 16s I know that drink them consistently is astonishing. I don't think that they should even be open for consumption of under 16s especially students.

It begs the question; who are you to dictate what others ingest? Especially as it's little more than surgery coffee
It's an opinion: thats what this thread is consumed off.
What I don’t get is... they aren’t exactly going to start restricting coffee. So if I really really wanted a huge caffeine hit, I could drink litres of coffee and without ever being age checked.

And I’ve been drinking coffee from a young age so it (and even energy drinks) do not affect me in the slightest.
Original post by ThomH97
It's stupid, you don't need caffeine until you're 30. Or if you're being deprived of sleep at home which is something to be addressed itself anyway.

I’m neither 30 nor being sleep deprived at home... and I still enjoy coffee and the occasional energy can.
They may as well start banning under-16's from having Coca Cola as well :laugh:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending