The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Has anyone completed the open university BSc (Hons) Mathematics?

Hi,

I'm currently studying Applied Physics and Instrumentation in Cork Institute of Technology and nearly finished but wish to at some point in the next few years would be to go into more detail on Mathematics, I was thinking of working for a few years to save up for tuition to do a degree in Mathematics but that would take at least 5 years if I budgeted well.

What caught my eye was the Open University degree in Mathematics, has anyone ever:
1) completed it?
2) or if you know anything about it?
3) Would I be better off on campus at a recognized university than long distance learning?

Scroll to see replies

im not sure how you would ever complete a maths degree alone online.... that is such a subject that requires not only great intellect but determination and somehow i imagine human support.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Original post by Realitysreflexx
im not sure how you would ever complete a maths degree alone online.... that is such a subject that requires not only great intellect but determination and somehow i imagine human support.

Ya I'm not sure either, only place I could ask questions would be Stack exchange AKA stack of W*$%ers
You might be bettee off going to uni, you will surely need tutorials and classmates to connect with.... thats such a hard subject, you will otherwise just be alone with all these problem sets and they will just collect dust on your desk, i wouldnt advise it.
Reply 4
You might be bettee off going to uni, you will surely need tutorials and classmates to connect with.... thats such a hard subject, you will otherwise just be alone with all these problem sets and they will just collect dust on your desk, i wouldnt advise it.

You're probably right, It's a very practical and theoretical subject, and ya the craic with other students is always good..

Studying in a brick UNI wouldn't be possible for me as it would be too expensive.

Does anyone know any brick UNIs that have cheap tuition for a fella from Ireland?
Original post by modrisco89
You're probably right, It's a very practical and theoretical subject, and ya the craic with other students is always good..

Studying in a brick UNI wouldn't be possible for me as it would be too expensive.

Does anyone know any brick UNIs that have cheap tuition for a fella from Ireland?

sorry m8 im an eu student i get the student loan for tuition but self maintain the rest.. out of my depth.
Reply 6
Fair enough, I'll do some research into it, cheers man.
Reply 7
Hi,

I'm currently studying Applied Physics and Instrumentation in Cork Institute of Technology and nearly finished but wish to at some point in the next few years would be to go into more detail on Mathematics, I was thinking of working for a few years to save up for tuition to do a degree in Mathematics but that would take at least 5 years if I budgeted well.

What caught my eye was the Open University degree in Mathematics, has anyone ever:
1) completed it?
2) or if you know anything about it?
3) Would I be better off on campus at a recognized university than long distance learning?

I'm going to move this thread to the Open University forum because it's more about the OU than Maths per se. I hope that's ok?

And yes an OU degree is well regarded and recognised by UK employers.

The OU is very good at guiding students through any of its courses. There's plenty of "human support" available. Including residential weeks.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Doonesbury
I'm going to move this thread to the Open University forum because it's more about the OU than Maths per se. I hope that's ok?

And yes an OU degree is well regarded and recognised by UK employers.

The OU is very good at guiding students through any of its courses. There's plenty of "human support" available. Including residential weeks.

Thanks that would be great, I'd like to hear other people's views.

I did the level 3 test and it says I'm golden, plus I have done 6 modules consisting of integration, diffrentiation, laplace, fourier etc so I should be at an advantage.
Reply 9
Thanks that would be great, I'd like to hear other people's views.

I did the level 3 test and it says I'm golden, plus I have done 6 modules consisting of integration, diffrentiation, laplace, fourier etc so I should be at an advantage.

So one question, why do you think you'd prefer a distance course instead of going to a "brick" university.

Most OU students are mature, and often already in work (or are planning a return to work) and are doing the course part-time alongside other responsibilities.

Some info about the OU here, including demographics etc
https://www.open.ac.uk/about/main/sites/www.open.ac.uk.about.main/files/files/uk_fact_figures_1516_pdf(1).pdf
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 10
So one question, why do you think you'd prefer a distance course instead of going to a "brick" university. Most OU students are mature, and often already in work (or are planning a return to work) and are doing the course part-time alongside other responsibilities.

Apologies I didn't fully explain, I landed a full-time job, starting July..provided I pass my final exams in the current degree.....I've thought it over and it seems like my best option as I can't afford take full-time university.
Reply 11
Apologies I didn't fully explain, I landed a full-time job, starting July..provided I pass my final exams in the current degree.....I've thought it over and it seems like my best option as I can't afford take full-time university.

Hold on, "current degree"? Sorry I thought you were doing a Level 3 course in Cork. My apologies.

Have you not checked about doing a Maths MSc instead? OU, or elsewhere.
http://www.open.ac.uk/postgraduate/qualifications/f04#entry-requirements
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 12
Hold on, "current degree"? Sorry I thought you were doing a Level 3 course in Cork. My apologies.

No worries:smile:

Have you not checked about doing a Maths MSc instead? OU, or elsewhere.

I havn't actually thought about that, the thing is I would be scared to go into a Maths MSc, in case my level maths might not be good enough yet.

I know I mentioned I covered some topics in maths but I didn't do a full blown maths course, more just covered maths that was necessary to understand engineering subjects.

If that makes sense, I'll certainly look into the MSc though.
Reply 13
No worries:smile:

I havn't actually thought about that, the thing is I would be scared to go into a Maths MSc, in case my level maths might not be good enough yet.

I know I mentioned I covered some topics in maths but I didn't do a full blown maths course, more just covered maths that was necessary to understand engineering subjects.

If that makes sense, I'll certainly look into the MSc though.

Well they say a 2:1 in a subject with "a high mathematical content" will be golden...

Also have a look at their diagnostic quiz.
Reply 14
Well they say a 2:1 in a subject with "a high mathematical content" will be golden...

Also have a look at their diagnostic quiz.

Holy ****

I'm 95% sure I'll get a 2:1 in my current degree, plus I've covered a load of that stuff in the diagnostic quiz
Reply 15
Holy ****

I'm 95% sure I'll get a 2:1 in my current degree, plus I've covered a load of that stuff in the diagnostic quiz

Winner winner, chicken dinner. :yep:
Reply 16
Winner winner, chicken dinner. :yep:

You've quite possibly saved me 8 years of life :h: thanks!
Reply 17
You've quite possibly saved me 8 years of life :h: thanks!

I'll accept payment in Murphy's.

:hat2:

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's really nice to see people helping each other on here.
I've studied modules in mathematics.

You have online tutorials in the evenings and sometimes tutorials at a local college.

You have an outline on the web portal of what needs to be covered in the week: reading etc. They provide you with the module book via post.

Also there are online assessments which are multiple choice and my exams were also multiple choice, open book exams taken at a private centre.

The OU degree is very well regarded.

You could also study stand alone modules in maths.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending