The Student Room Group

Can my GP doctor sue me for defamation?

I left a google review on my GP practice calling them murderers, how they killed my uncle, misdiagnosed him for lung cancer, never took his cough seriously and that everybody should leave the practice or else they will murder again etc etc

My uncle is now dead as a result of these 'doctors' misdiagnosing him.

I kept the review up for a few days, but deleted it around 2 weeks ago.

However my GP called me today telling me he's removing me off the patient list, he's having a meeting with the other doctor to discuss this and that he has photocopies of my review.

He didn't mention anything about suing me, but can he? Even though technically everything I wrote about the doctors were true??

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I left a google review on my GP practice calling them murderers, how they killed my uncle, misdiagnosed him for lung cancer, never took his cough seriously and that everybody should leave the practice or else they will murder again etc etc

However my GP called me today telling me he's removing me off the patient list, he's having a meeting with the other doctor to discuss this and that he has photocopies of my review.

He didn't mention anything about suing me, but can he? Even though technically everything I wrote about the doctors were true??

How old are you?
Technically yes.
Highly doubt it though.
You could say the PM is a muderer.

She doesn't provide enough funding for the NHS.

This means less GPs

This means that GPs are stretched and have to do more

This makes them stressed etc

This makes them more likely to make a mistake

Or maybe the doctor had seen so many people come in with similar symptoms to your uncle when it was just a cough

Why would you write something like that on Google??? How much of a f*cking moron can you be.

If you think the doctors didn't do their job properly then go through the formal complaint system with the NHS against them. But don't go and write some slanderous ******** on Google, you deserve whatever comes your way. What a childish and immature way to act.
Reply 4
Original post by CrazyPantha27
Why would you write something like that on Google??? How much of a f*cking moron can you be.

If you think the doctors didn't do their job properly then go through the formal complaint system with the NHS against them. But don't go and write some slanderous ******** on Google, you deserve whatever comes your way. What a childish and immature way to act.

I realise now that it's immature. But to be fair, that very day I was told he only had a few days left to live so I was in a bad emotional state
I realise now that it's immature. But to be fair, that very day I was told he only had a few days left to live so I was in a bad emotional state

Because you're the only person who's ever been in this situation? Plenty of people go through the exact same thing everyday. That's medicine. Medicine keeps people alive a little longer who should've already died. Grow up. I'm sorry about your uncle, but that is no excuse for the way you acted.

It will help that you are a child and that you were upset, but you still libelled him.
Reply 7

They could take further action, but it sounds like they just want you gone and that's all.
I understand that you must have been in a really bad place when you wrote that and hopefully they will appreciate that too.
Best you can do is apologise for acting in a silly way when you were upset and learn from this. If you do think they messed up, you can report it using the proper channels (you'll be able to find out how on the NHS website).
Should have made a formal complaint instead of ranting on the internet
Accusing someone of murdering another person when it is a false accusation is a serious thing.
As physicians they will at least appreciate you were likely in a bad emotional state at the time - removing you from the patient list is a fairly reasonable response to ensure the safety of themselves and other patients in case you came in and did something rash (I mean that could happen anyway, but...). Unless you directly threatened to harm them, they probably won't do anything else. Suing you would look very bad for them, and could attract unwanted media attention.

You may want to consider counselling or a therapist, and discuss your reaction to this news - anger, rather than anything else - however, as you may benefit from some anger management techniques they can teach you. While your reaction is, in some frames, understandable, it is still unacceptable and I would hope you take reflect on this moving forward.
Original post by CrazyPantha27
Medicine keeps people alive a little longer who should’ve already died.

A little beside the point but its improving all the time
You’re obviously grieving what idiots for saying they’re going to take you off the list
i do not think they will sue you. but they will never help you again.
Welcome to the new political discourse people.

This kind of thing is commonplace now. Everyone you don’t agree with is a murderer. Lefties spend their whole day calling people murderers. You’d think by now the stigma would have worn off
Original post by Little Popcorns
You’re obviously grieving what idiots for saying they’re going to take you off the list

They're the idiots? If I was running a practice and one of my patients accused me of MURDERING somebody, they'd be off the list instantly and I'd be talking to my lawyer.

OP, contact the practice, apologise, explain your state of mind at the time and search for a new practice to go to.
I’m really sorry for your loss. My daughter died from medical negligence, so I fully understand how easy it is to let the anger and emotion over take you. This means you’ll do things you’ve never would have imagined.

I would apologise, if you’re able and tell them you regret writing on the review site, which you clearly do or you wouldn’t have deleted it. Then if your family feels the same as you, support his closest relative in making a complaint so if indeed they could have done more, they learn from their mistakes so it doesn’t happen again. We did that and having procedures change, is the one comfort I have, as I know others won’t endure what we have.
Original post by nmudz_009
A little beside the point but its improving all the time

Yes with each improvement people are able to last a little longer. But the point of medicine still remains, keeping people alive who should've already died.
Original post by PlayWithMarkers
They're the idiots? If I was running a practice and one of my patients accused me of MURDERING somebody, they'd be off the list instantly and I'd be talking to my lawyer.

OP, contact the practice, apologise, explain your state of mind at the time and search for a new practice to go to.

Well then you’d be acting just as much with your gut as they would have been!
Original post by Little Popcorns
Well then you’d be acting just as much with your gut as they would have been!

Being accused of murder is a serious topic, and a practice is a serious business, it's only natural to protect yourself regardless of the situation with your patient. Him posting that review is the one acting impulsively, not the GP.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending