The Student Room Group

Would my options ruin my chances at going to a prestigious university ?

Hi,
So I am currently working for my GCSE's; I have always known that I want to study english further as I got older and that is what I am interesting in pursuing. I have also known that I would like to go to a 'good' and prestigious university!
Here lies my problem; so I originally picked to do French, English Lit and Drama at A-Level.
Despite not doing drama GCSE, its always been something I have wanted to do and something that I believe I could do well in. Unfortunately the sixth form I have applied to, contacted me and told me I was unable to take french as not enough people have chosen it! This has left me with a huge like dilemma because I am not a science person and I do not enjoy maths or history. So I decided that i would take sociology.
I have been over reading and over researching similar scenarios and situations and obviously looking at different unis.
I only want to study english lit or english at uni but I am unsure whether doing two 'soft' subjects at A-Level will derail my chances at getting into a good uni!
Can someone please give me some personal advice relating to my dilemma!
Thank you, much appreciated :smile:
have you thought about doing english language?
I would not be overly worried unless you plan on applying for Oxford or Cambridge, most top unis will be unconcerned as long as your predicted grades are good. alternatively you could consider studying geography or philosophy and ethics/religious studies perhaps or look at other local sixth forms that would allow you to take French
Drama has got to go, do something with more academic vigour... maybe geography or economics..philosophy also plays well into english, or hostory A level, though ideally you would do english... if your avoiding it now... what do you expect at uni? further english is a critical analysis subject from a qualitative standpoint.. google that if you dont understand its imperative you get what english actually is.
Reply 4
Original post by circleofsighs
have you thought about doing english language?

It is not offered as a separate a level :frown:
Reply 5
Original post by Realitysreflexx
Drama has got to go, do something with more academic vigour... maybe geography or economics..philosophy also plays well into english, or hostory A level, though ideally you would do english... if your avoiding it now... what do you expect at uni? further english is a critical analysis subject from a qualitative standpoint.. google that if you dont understand its imperative you get what english actually is.

Hi,
My sister does a level geog and she hates it; I have not done it at GCSE and want to avoid humanities, not for me, unfortunately. I like context and i find that interesting but I don't want to be in depth studying history. I find areas of history interesting; don't get me wrong it's a great subject but I am not an enthusiast when it comes to the actual subject itself.
Here is what Cambridge says about the matter:
"Only a few of our successful applicants have offered just one facilitating subjects. For these people, their A-levels have usually included subjects that are particularly relevant to (but not requirements for) their chosen course, such as Economics, Music, Politics, History of Art or Religious Studies."

I would strongly advise you to consider doing another facilitating subject. And if you do not do so, try to do something like Philosophy or Politics that will still teach you imperative essay writing skills and look okay to RG universities.
Original post by molbrown
Hi,
So I am currently working for my GCSE's; I have always known that I want to study english further as I got older and that is what I am interesting in pursuing. I have also known that I would like to go to a 'good' and prestigious university!
Here lies my problem; so I originally picked to do French, English Lit and Drama at A-Level.
Despite not doing drama GCSE, its always been something I have wanted to do and something that I believe I could do well in. Unfortunately the sixth form I have applied to, contacted me and told me I was unable to take french as not enough people have chosen it! This has left me with a huge like dilemma because I am not a science person and I do not enjoy maths or history. So I decided that i would take sociology.
I have been over reading and over researching similar scenarios and situations and obviously looking at different unis.
I only want to study english lit or english at uni but I am unsure whether doing two 'soft' subjects at A-Level will derail my chances at getting into a good uni!

it depends how prestigious, i mean 80% of Warwick applicants get an offer, whereas only 45% of St Andrews applicants get an offer. Generally speaking I'd avoid sociology at all costs. do history or geography.
Reply 8
Original post by angelinahx
Here is what Cambridge says about the matter:
"Only a few of our successful applicants have offered just one facilitating subjects. For these people, their A-levels have usually included subjects that are particularly relevant to (but not requirements for) their chosen course, such as Economics, Music, Politics, History of Art or Religious Studies."

I would strongly advise you to consider doing another facilitating subject. And if you do not do so, try to do something like Philosophy or Politics that will still teach you imperative essay writing skills and look okay to RG universities.

So sociology is not a good essay writing subject?
Hi,
My sister does a level geog and she hates it; I have not done it at GCSE and want to avoid humanities, not for me, unfortunately. I like context and i find that interesting but I don't want to be in depth studying history. I find areas of history interesting; don't get me wrong it's a great subject but I am not an enthusiast when it comes to the actual subject itself.

your not doing this indepth, your doing it at A level to get you to your chosen degree paths to make your chances of entry to the better universities, frankly better.

big difference 2 yrs is not that "deep"
nor that difficult,

what is impossible would be you getting for example on to the english degree at my university, Nottingham with drama, french, english lit..
they would chuck your app so quicky lol.

Btw nottingham is not nearly the most presitigious university, so im sure you get my advice here...

prestige = academic

= prove your studying academic subjects

= academic entry
I'm currently in year 12 and I've started looking at uni applications and your subjects do matter. Prestigious unis (you're probably hinting at Russel group unis) require at least two facilitating subjects. Your third subject does matter but not as much. It genuinely depends on the course you want to do at uni.

I want to do law at Uni but and I do English Literature, Government and Politics which qualify as two facilitating subjects. However I also do Business Studies but not at A Level because it didn't fit on my timetable. I foolishly opted for CTEC business and it now means that I can't apply to Oxford or Cambridge and I can't apply to some Russel Group unis like Southhampton. However, my first choice uni (Birmingham) does accept it but I have to get the top grade for it.

I'm going off topic but generally they do matter for courses but the minimal amount is two facilitating subjects. Your third doesn't have to be but if you're planning on applying to Oxbridge then go for a facilitating subject.
Original post by K.bower
I'm currently in year 12 and I've started looking at uni applications and your subjects do matter. Prestigious unis (you're probably hinting at Russel group unis) require at least two facilitating subjects. Your third subject does matter but not as much. It genuinely depends on the course you want to do at uni.

I want to do law at Uni but and I do English Literature, Government and Politics which qualify as two facilitating subjects. However I also do Business Studies but not at A Level because it didn't fit on my timetable. I foolishly opted for CTEC business and it now means that I can't apply to Oxford or Cambridge and I can't apply to some Russel Group unis like Southhampton. However, my first choice uni (Birmingham) does accept it but I have to get the top grade for it.

I'm going off topic but generally they do matter for courses but the minimal amount is two facilitating subjects. Your third doesn't have to be but if you're planning on applying to Oxbridge then go for a facilitating subject.

why cant you just totally drop the ctec? and apply wherever you want with three A levels should be fine..
why cant you just totally drop the ctec? and apply wherever you want with three A levels should be fine..

It's too late to drop it as CTEC do their first exam in May. If I drop it right now then I'll have to retake year 12 as they can't recourse me so far down into the year.

I tried to get them to recourse me but they want to keep me on the course because I got a 9 and 7 in English Lit and Lang
(edited 6 years ago)
Gcses are only to get you into college and all they want is 5 A*-C. It's A levels that get you into uni. Unless you are planning on going to oxbridge or doing medicine the unis won't care about your gcses
So sociology is not a good essay writing subject?

It's considered softer than Philosophy, Religious Studies, Economics or Politics. I'd also drop Drama and replace it with an actual academic subject.
Most universities are perfectly happy with two "core" subjects and one which may not be as preferred. Some subjects/departments may view drama positively as well - Social Anthropology at LSE, for example, views Drama on par with the rest of LSE's "preferred" subject list.

Additionally if you're applying to English Literature courses at uni, Drama is probably more acceptable generally given drama texts are very apparent in the typical curriculum, and as well as the literary analysis you'll do in both Drama and English, they may feel the performing aspects of Drama may help you understand the texts better anyway. Foreign languages are always well regarded, and if you have an interest in French literature or theatre it's particularly appropriate (why you would subject yourself to that is beyond me though...I think the only thing worse would be Russian lit.Then again I am not a huge fan of literary analysis in general :tongue: )

I would disregard the comments above suggesting it's unacceptable - it's really nitpicking at that point, and even Oxbridge aren't likely to hold it against you for a literature degree. English language or Sociology, suggested above, while reasonably options in of themselves, are unlikely to be viewed more positively than Drama for a literary course (although they're probably not going to viewed less positively either).
(edited 6 years ago)

I study Drama at A level, and we don't just act it's basically a second English Lit ahahah
I'm studying Antigone in Drama and we have to learn all about Greek Theatre (basically classics) and then for our devised performance our mark is 3/4 written work. Our written exam is also 3 hours long!
Hi,

Make sure that you look up Drama past papers etc it's a /lot/ of written work!!
Original post by chloecam29
Make sure that you look up Drama past papers etc it's a /lot/ of written work!!

do you have to do/like the Bard?
Hi,
I only want to study English lit or English at uni but I am unsure whether doing two 'soft' subjects at A-Level will derail my chances at getting into a good uni!

If you want to do English at good Uni I recommend doing History as it's a subject that heavily relies on writing techniques and how you structure essays. Also History is a strong A Level. Also consider a subject like Politics or Philosophy as they are also essay subjects, and are considered strong A Levels than Sociology. If you English Lit, History and either Politics or Philosophy you have a strong set of A Levels for an English course at uni. Tbh I don't really know much about Drama A Level, but I assume it would be a big help as in English Lit you study play texts.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply