The Student Room Group

62% of students and recent graduates have experienced sexual violence.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CookieButter
In the UK all rape/sexual assault accusers are not required to attend court. They are allowed special measures such that they do not have to attend court and their anonymity is protected sometimes even from the accused...interesting, no?

Once again, I'm repeating what I was told on the phone :lol: If this is true then that gives me even less faith in the police if I was given misinformation.

I personally find it quite interesting that you're trying so hard to discredit me. Like, the guy was a total stranger, it's not like he pissed me off elsewhere and I wanted to make his life hard by giving a false accusation. I don't know why you're so triggered by this :lol:
Original post by FinnToScotland
If a person sees it as sexual abuse then it is sexual abuse. I believe that it is very common to shout at other students in a sexual manner which already is sexual abuse. I also don’t believe that the amount of females and males that have been sexually abused is that different. You also make it sound like females couldn’t sexually abuse males.

What is defined as sexual violence at least in my eyes is actually physically touching the person in a violent manner (E.h beating, forcing yourself onto the person...) constant harassment by the same person and even rape itself, just shouting at a female saying "Hey babe whats up" isn't sexual violence.
And yes females can also sexually abuse males but that is really rare.
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
Once again, I'm repeating what I was told on the phone :lol: If this is true then that gives me even less faith in the police if I was given misinformation.

I personally find it quite interesting that you're trying so hard to discredit me. Like, the guy was a total stranger, it's not like he pissed me off elsewhere and I wanted to make his life hard by giving a false accusation. I don't know why you're so triggered by this :lol:

Replies made up of two lines aren't me trying hard little tail chaser.

I highly recommend people go back to the previous page, read her first comment (comment 49) and my and her subsequent replies. Let them judge whether I have a point or not.

History has proven that women do not need to know a person to make a false claim against them. Attention, power, sympathy, sexism, racism amongst many other things have acted as motivators for false accusers.

I know three men in my life who were falsely accused and who's lives were subsequently destroyed by women. I'm also somewhat well read in rape and sexual harassment laws and the history of false rape accusations. So I'm familiar with the system. I know that its extremely (extremely being an understatement) bias in the favour of accusers. I also know that thanks to feminist activism false accusers are rarely held to account even when they are proven to have made a false claim. So when someone comes along pretending like the system is against them when I know for fact that it is heavily bias in their favour, making statements that do not conform with how our system works...alarm bells start ringing inside my head as they should anyone.

False rape accusers have throughout time been responsible for the devastation and death of many hundreds of thousands of men....So I know you will be understanding of me when I tell you that I have a special loathing for liars/false accusers in this context...I'm sure you will share in my loathing of these people. Lets pray that their lives become destroyed the same way they go about destroying the lives of others.
(edited 6 years ago)
Shock, the actual question asked isn’t part of the report
Reply 64
Original post by k.n.h.
What is counted as sexual harrassment in the survey outside physical sexual harassment/assualt? This opens up different interpretations from different participants of what non-physical sexual harassment is - it could range from a significant and concerning issue like constantly being talked to explicitly sexually in a vulgar manner and not stopping when asked to the extent that it disrupts, to being complemented on looks but the participant took it as something more serious.

The survey should've implemented an option to enable the participants to give more details on what happened, and show the exact results about what specific type it was for accuracy and transparency.

I am surprised that the most common form of 'sexual violence' among the respondents of the survey are physical however; I expected verbal to be the most common..

Sexual violence must and by that I literally mean must constitute something physical you can’t be violent through words you can be aggressive scary and many other things but violence is a physical thing so I’d assume the term used sexual violence would sudgest at the very least physical sexual harassment but depending on the individual who wrote its intelligence this could verry well be in question

In other words I’d assume they mean physical harassment and assault but assuming can make an ass out of the writer and me 😶
Reply 65
Look anyone who thinks words can be violent no they can’t threats are only violent through the act of violence after I could shout swear and be abusive but that would not be violent it would be abusive amongst other things but until I lay a hand or physically hurt you I’m not be violent

Definition

using or involving physical force intended to hurt, damage, or kill someone or something.
Reply 66
I’m not a grammar or words nazi but terms are important to get a point across and set rules and facts without using correct terms the sentence is suddenly intrinsically incorrect so naturally I intend only to point out that either the individual used the correct word and we can assume they are speaking of physical sexual assault and harassment or they made a minor mistake that has otherwise made us believe something untrue and thus put a spin on the subject
Reply 67
Damn I sound like a robot but yeah physical assault this could constitute to anything physical but in reality I believe the term assault is coined too easily as it should really only be used to describe more offensive acts

The law often miss uses words to describe crimes a easy example near miss means you hit something and yet we use it to describe nearly hitting a object these simple idiom terms prove to invalidate the subject in my own opinion as we are unable to truly describe the events that transpired properly if we use descriptive devices that are quite frankly stupid

We should use better terminology in law as it better represents the event say if the assault was a man inappropriately touching a whomens ass or slapping it would that be assault well if done aggressively yes but otherwise it wouldn’t rather it’d be inappropriate sexual conduct he inappropriately touched her this is still serious in my mind but it’s not rape or abuse

now if this was more constant then this should be classed as sexual abuse and it could seriously affect the individual if he used verbal prompts and tried to scare her or messed with her verbally this could be grooming

If he did anything truly sexual including forced kissing it might be considered rape and or sexual assault as your sexually forcing yourself on them amongst other things so you see the terms do affect our understanding and when used incorrectly put a spin on the subject leaving the facts up to debate instead of clarifying what exactly happened
Original post by CookieButter
Replies made up of two lines aren't me trying hard little tail chaser.

I highly recommend people go back to the previous page, read her first comment (comment 49) and my and her subsequent replies. Let them judge whether I have a point or not.

History has proven that women do not need to know a person to make a false claim against them. Attention, power, sympathy, sexism, racism amongst many other things have acted as motivators for false accusers.

I know three men in my life who were falsely accused and who's lives were subsequently destroyed by women. I'm also somewhat well read in rape and sexual harassment laws and the history of false rape accusations. So I'm familiar with the system. I know that its extremely (extremely being an understatement) bias in the favour of accusers. I also know that thanks to feminist activism false accusers are rarely held to account even when they are proven to have made a false claim. So when someone comes along pretending like the system is against them when I know for fact that it is heavily bias in their favour, making statements that do not conform with how our system works...alarm bells start ringing inside my head as they should anyone.

False rape accusers have throughout time been responsible for the devastation and death of many hundreds of thousands of men....So I know you will be understanding of me when I tell you that I have a special loathing for liars/false accusers in this context...I'm sure you will share in my loathing of these people. Lets pray that their lives become destroyed the same way they go about destroying the lives of others.

Good because you really need to try harder :wink:

I have every sympathy for those falsely accused. I would always hope that they are able to regain their reputation and that the people who seek to pervert the course of justice get held accountable for their actions. However, have you got a source for that super specific figure about false allegations causing death for hundreds of thousands of men? And yes I am aware that the suicide rate of males is consistently higher than that of females. This is something that is partially down to factors such as men being discouraged from seeking help due to toxic masculinity and ideas about what characteristics genders 'should' show. Y'know, ideas which those pesky feminists are generally against. While we're here talking about death, is it a good place to mention that two women per week are killed by their (male) partners? Or that women are five times more likely than men to have been a victim of sexual assault since the age of 16? False rape allegations are often high profile because they are rare. Of course that doesn't make them any less abhorrent, but their high profile is due to the fact that they are uncommon. By contrast there are 11 cases of rape within England and Wales every hour. You can see why every instance isn't reported and why this might give you the view that women love to cause misery by making false allegations just 'cause they can.

I know many, many more than three women who have been a victim of sexual assault (for clarification I'm talking physical assault here, since there seems to be debate on this thread about whether verbal abuse should count), who haven't reported it due to, amongst other things, fear of not being believed. In several cases these people were under the age of 16. One report suggested that as many as 80% of victims don't report being raped. For every person wrongly accused, there are many more who do not come forward to get justice for people who do commit sexual offences. I am a firm believer in innocent until proven guilty (as do the courts, if you look at the shocking low conviction rates for sexual assault), however given the statistics you can see why my default position if someone were to divulge to me that they've been a victim of a sexual offence would be to believe them.

Your suggestions for the motivations behind my police report are nonsense. The racism in particular is a spectacular reach given that I said nothing about the ethnicity of the man behind all this :lolwut: If anything it says something about what you think are the 'type' of men to do this sort of thing. Attention makes no sense either given that, y'know, it was my friend that reported this rather than myself. Since my apparently notorious Post 49™ gives a very negative view of the police it could be interpreted as encouragement to not report incidents (which wasn't my intention, I meant it more as an explanation of why people may not bother), so I am struggling to see how you personally have interpreted it as some sort of attack against Innocent Men™. I mean, it's really not my concern whether you believe me or not because only me and the other guy involved (and anyone who eventually saw the CCTV I guess) know the truth and you never will :tongue: I just think it's bizarre how you've incorrectly thought you've hit me with 'gotcha' moments when you clearly don't know as much about the topic as you like to think you do :lol:

As a final note I'd like to point out that you were the one who made this about men vs women. I was talking about a man and a woman (myself), you were the one who made it more broad. I am of course aware that women can sexually assault men before you start squarking about that.

I've just realised that your avatar is the meninism logo, ouch :frown:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 69
I believe this is covering all physical forms of sexual harassment and sexually inappropriate behaviour harassment itself though should only consist of things that have happened more than once or twice as harassment is in itself a term to describe something that is constant or continues not a one time event yet again a term misused

Man I really do dislike people who misuse language it’s rather annoying I’m sure there are others who agree with me here when I say misusing words like harassment alongside other words including depression invalidate the true meaning of the word misused
And what is defined here as "sexual violence", does it have a hard and fast definition or is it based on the person answering to decide for themselves?
Also has it been a well conducted survery that properly factors in demographics and the likes or was it basically just 3000 who claim to have been victims and 1500 who answered for the hell of it?

Can we get a breakdown of the raw data and how it has been adjusted or is that too much to ask?
Original post by yudothis
So we protect boys cause they are only allegedly abusers while we keep on letting girl be harassed?

No, we apply the law instead of vague and easily abused university policies.
(edited 6 years ago)
For a student forum - this would fail awfully as academic research.

As such its useless to me. Its missing key information that any rational or sane person would need to make a judgement on its credibility:

1. No definitions are given.
The numbers are meaningless if you cannot usefully define for the readers what exactly (and specifically) constitutes sexual harassment and sexual assault. If you are using other definitions, governmental/legal, then those should be provided.
2. No where is it clear what questions were asked to draw out these responses. A copy of your survey is not provided, and a breakdown of specific answers is missing.

Specifics:

3. (around the 8% of students being raped) you write: 'There is a clear indication that the incidence of rape is more likely in the student population then the general population' - no, that cant be concluded from he information you have provided, as without a clear parallel in the definition of rape between age groups, the numbers are meaningless. Why? Because its very possible that the number looks over-represented in student populations because student populations define incidence as rape, that older generations and 'less-educated' people would not.

4. Students reported significant impact on... studies... 25% skipped lectures. 75% carried on as normal. I think it would be better phrased as 'a minority of students reported significant impact on...studies...' (but that wouldn't really fit the goal for this study..)

5. Your non-binary catagory, whilst lovely and inclusive, seems to be misplaced here, when we are talking about rape and sexual assault as their are clear legal distinctions between men and women (e.g. men not being able to be raped)

---

Overall, whilst I think its great to research this area, I think your presentation of the data shows your aim. Its a very clear set of headline figures that you hope will be reported on and talked about by the media. It gives people who are looking for justification that their is a problem,evidence, but its not going to convince skeptical people because you are missing far to much methodology, definitions and further explanation to make it useful. Because of that it does not feel like it is there to start meaningful discussions, it feels like its there to push an agenda. I would go out on a limb and bet that the team behind this were quite happy with the results inside, because they ended up being exactly what they hoped to find, and have given them exactly what they want, shocking headline making statistics.
Original post by Dandaman1
No, we apply the law instead of vague and easily abused university policies.

And the outcome is just as I said. You can hide behind excuses all you want.
Reply 74
Moved this to society :smile:
Original post by Danny Dorito
The Student Room, in partnership with Revolt Sexual Assault have conducted a survey which found that 62% of students and graduates consulted have experience sexual violence, however only 6% of those felt able to report it to their university and/or the police

The survey, which consulted almost 4,500 students and graduates across 154 institutions, is the largest national study investigating sexual violence at university.

You can read more on the report here.

What do you make of this? Are you surprised by these statistics?

Well... no there’s an unfortunate deficit on behalf of a respectable culture in modern U.K. society, this issue has arisen due to a rise in sleaze cases among young individuals (especially 12-18) that has been disregarded as a serious concern to report, part and parcel to this has been the relatively historical practice during ‘school education’ to report the issue to memebers of the institute ‘teachers and teaching assistants’, which has caused a downturn in reports to the appropriate authorities based around the ‘wrongly-perceived repercussions’ that a young person feels would occur onto themselves. Furthermore the growth in social media and technology has allowed for a higher statistical outcome of access to adult content by young people, this prolonged exposure and the decrease in concentration rates has lead to an ‘sexual desire agenda’ for most young people ‘primarily men’, as for women the pressure of social media for standards of expectations as a person has lead to cases of sexual violence as a form of marker to provide the female with peace of mind on standards being reached which by theory should not be the case.
Original post by Danny Dorito
The Student Room, in partnership with Revolt Sexual Assault have conducted a survey which found that 62% of students and graduates consulted have experience sexual violence, however only 6% of those felt able to report it to their university and/or the police

The survey, which consulted almost 4,500 students and graduates across 154 institutions, is the largest national study investigating sexual violence at university.

You can read more on the report here.

What do you make of this? Are you surprised by these statistics?

How was this survey taken? Because I'm beginning to doubt those results. If that % was taken as fact across of every student in the UK, then more than half the people I meet at uni have been sexually assaulted which is not and has not been the case.
Original post by DarthRoar
I would really like to see the source data and the actual report, not just some uninformative infographic.

I suspect that a high percentage of this sexual 'violence' is more akin to catcalling or unwanted attention.

When holding open a door for a woman, or commenting that their new hair cut looks nice (in what was assumed to be a 'friendly, non-threatening' manner by the male speaker), is considered sexist = sexual harassment = sexual 'violence' = the same category as non consensual, forced, penetrative rape, then the social 'sciences' have passed the point of no return.

Everything is problematic. Everything is sexist. Everything is racist. Everything is homophobic, and trans-phobic.

Other than the obvious financial gain for NGO's to misrepresent, overemphasize, and flat out falsify issues, ie more taxpayers money to pay for their 'jobs'. There is also a clear political motivation, a bias working towards a goal, of which identity politics is a key weapon in the fight.

To drive as big a wedge between men and women as possible, but more than that, to atomize society to create in-fighting between competing perceived victim status in the hierarchy of oppression.

Who is the net beneficiary of 'divide and conquer' post-modernist, nihilistic, cultural Marxism? Who gains from the plebs squabbling for their place in the 'progressive stack'? It's said, that the richest three US families have more wealth (and privilege, power and influence), than the poorest half of America. Think they give a damn about political correctness? Other than how to wield it against the masses to maintain themselves at the apex of society?

#DieCisScum, #KillAllMen,#IBathInMaleTears
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by 303Pharma
When holding open a door for a woman, or commenting that their new hair cut looks nice (in what was assumed to be a 'friendly, non-threatening' manner by the male speaker), is considered sexist = sexual harassment = sexual 'violence' = the same category as non consensual, forced, penetrative rape, then the social 'sciences' have passed the point of no return.

Other than the obvious financial gain for NGO's to misrepresent, overemphasize, and flat out falsify issues, ie more taxpayers money to pay for their 'jobs'. There is also a clear political motivation, a bias working towards a goal, of which identity politics is a key weapon in the fight.

To drive as big a wedge between men and women as possible, but more than that, to atomize society to create in-fighting between competing perceived victim status in the hierarchy of oppression.

Who is the net beneficiary of 'divide and conquer' post-modernist, nihilistic, cultural Marxism? Who gains from the plebs squabbling for their place in the 'progressive stack'? It's said, that the richest three US families have more wealth (and privilege, power and influence), than the poorest half of America. Think they give a damn about political correctness? Other than how to wield it against the masses to maintain themselves at the apex of society?

#DieCisScum, #KillAllMen,#IBathInMaleTears

you blaming modern feminism, marxism and any other movements on the rothschilds?
Imo theres a big difference between violence and harassment. That is why we have different laws for each offence. The survey and OP is misleading and deliberately confuses the issue ro make it more dramatic.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending