The Student Room Group

MacBook help!

So I’ve been saving for a couple of months for a MacBook Air. I’ve got about £400 but I feel £1000 is way too much to spend on a laptop. Has anyone got one and are they worth the money???

Thanks
Original post by evbgs
So I’ve been saving for a couple of months for a MacBook Air. I’ve got about £400 but I feel £1000 is way too much to spend on a laptop. Has anyone got one and are they worth the money???

Thanks

What are you studying?

I am a CompSci student and I get by with a £250 ThinkPad + a £50 SSD absolutely fine. I also have a £60 monitor + £20 docking station so I get seamless laptop -> desktop 'like' transition.

The keyboard is also great which will suit humanities students too.
Original post by Blue_Cow
What are you studying?

I am a CompSci student and I get by with a £250 ThinkPad + a £50 SSD absolutely fine. I also have a £60 monitor + £20 docking station so I get seamless laptop -> desktop 'like' transition.

The keyboard is also great which will suit humanities students too.

Barely anyone seems to give credit to Lenovo for their Thinkpad

That's the only laptop keyboard I'd actually enjoy using over a traditional mechanical one.
Original post by Kyber Ninja
Barely anyone seems to give credit to Lenovo for their Thinkpad

That's the only laptop keyboard I'd actually enjoy using over a traditional mechanical one.

Agreed.

The amount of key travel is just amazing :ahee:
Original post by evbgs

Thanks

The Macbook Air is not worth the money, the hardware is 3 years old at this point and it baffles me that Apple are still selling it.

If you want an Apple laptop, keep saving and get either the entry level MacBook Pro or MacBook. If you would rather save a bit of cash and just get something thin and light, give us an ideal budget range and I can make suggestions.
Depends what you're doing, if you are fine with windows, this will be much more powerful at about half the price https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/lenovo-ideapad-320s-14ikb-14-laptop-grey-10169401-pdt.html

Whilst they both have i5's, the MacBooks is a much older fith generation i5 which was released a few years ago. The i5 featured in this laptop is a very new 8th generation. The main difference between the two are the fact that the 8th gen i5 has 4 cores and 8 threads over the MacBook's measly dual core i5. This will make it able to handle more demanding tasks and increase its longevity. All the other specs are the same apart from battery life where the MacBook will probably last longer although I hardly see that being worth £500.

If you really want a MacBook, as Gofre said, save up for their MacBook Pro. There's no point in paying for hardware which is already obsolete. My parent's Mac currently feature a similar, slightly more powerful i5 which struggles with daily tasks.
Dont get a macbook very expensive for nothing you could get a windows equivalent alot cheaper

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending