The Student Room Group

Potato disc, water potential?

Can someone please help with this question? I have attached the mark scheme as well. I do get the gist of things here but I am still a bit confused with finding the water potential. Will really appreciate it someone could help!
2.png
Attachment not found
Reply 1
It’s just a fancy word for water diffusion
Reply 2
Original post by Joel TJ
It’s just a fancy word for water diffusion

Thanks I understand that but how do you do the question?
Reply 3
Bump
so you would plot a graph of concentration of Sucrose soln against change in mass of the potato discs. where the change in mass is 0, the solutions must be the same concentration so just read off your graph the concentration :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by BeccaHeritage
so you would plot a graph of concentration of Sucrose soln against change in mass of the potato discs. where the change in mass is 0, the solutions must be the same concentration so just read off your graph the concentration :smile:

Thanks so much for your reply back :smile: But then this works out the concentration of the potato tuber dics and the concentrationn of the sucrose solution - how would you work out the water potential from this? Many thanks
Reply 6
I remember this OCR qn hahaha
Original post by sienna2266
Thanks so much for your reply back :smile: But then this works out the concentration of the potato tuber dics and the concentrationn of the sucrose solution - how would you work out the water potential from this? Many thanks

ah I think you just look it up (if you look at the very bottom of the mark scheme) :smile:
Reply 8
ah I think you just look it up (if you look at the very bottom of the mark scheme) :smile:

Ohh thank you so much! :smile: So would something along the lines of "look up the water potential of the sucrose solution at the sucrose concentration which gives no mass change to the potato disc on a table/calibration curve where x axis represents sucrose concentration and y axis represents water potential"
Could you please kindly let me know if this would be ok for the last point? Many thanks :smile:
Feel free to change it around cause I am trying to reduce the amount of waffling in my answers:biggrin:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by sienna2266
Ohh thank you so much! :smile: So would something along the lines of "look up the water potential of the sucrose solution at the sucrose concentration which gives no mass change to the potato disc on a table/calibration curve where x axis represents sucrose concentration and y axis represents water potential"
Could you please kindly let me know if this would be ok for the last point? Many thanks :smile:

yeah sounds good!!
yeah sounds good!!

Thanks so much! Really appreciate the help:smile::smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending