The Student Room Group

Biology with Biotechnology or Chemistry?

Hi everyone,

Just wondering what people’s thoughts were regarding the two above degree choices?

Just wondering what people’s thoughts are regarding employability?

I am interested in drug development of some sort. I have a dipHE in Health Science and currently work in a pharmacy.

I am aware that I will need to study post graduate which is fine with me.

My initial thoughts are chemistry - the course offers a years worth of work experience which will obviously benefit me in the long run. I also feel that it is a much broader subject so if my interests change or I see a niche in the job market I will be flexible to a certain extent.

I am interested in both subjects, but feel like I may be pigeon holing myself with biology/biotech?

Please not I am a mature student so cannot chose and uni and these are the best options I have right now.

Pros and cons of both most welcome :smile:

Thanks again :smile:
Original post by Jennafoffie
Hi everyone,

Just wondering what people’s thoughts were regarding the two above degree choices?

Just wondering what people’s thoughts are regarding employability?

I am interested in drug development of some sort. I have a dipHE in Health Science and currently work in a pharmacy.

I am aware that I will need to study post graduate which is fine with me.

My initial thoughts are chemistry - the course offers a years worth of work experience which will obviously benefit me in the long run. I also feel that it is a much broader subject so if my interests change or I see a niche in the job market I will be flexible to a certain extent.

I am interested in both subjects, but feel like I may be pigeon holing myself with biology/biotech?

Please not I am a mature student so cannot chose and uni and these are the best options I have right now.

Pros and cons of both most welcome :smile:

Thanks again :smile:

It really will make no difference whatsoever. You're aware of the need for postgrad study and that is what will make a bigger difference to your career. At this point just choose the more interesting course.
Reply 2
Is it easy to swap course in 1st year if I struggle with chemistry? I know I’d do well in biology but chemistry just seems like the right choice for career and opportunities if that makes sense? I’ve done a few modules on medicine and drug structure and found them interesting just worried about the intensity of chem and drowning? I don’t want to come away from the biological side of things too much and know that post grad I can focus on biochem just a bit concerned about getting there!!
Is it easy to swap course in 1st year if I struggle with chemistry? I know I’d do well in biology but chemistry just seems like the right choice for career and opportunities if that makes sense? I’ve done a few modules on medicine and drug structure and found them interesting just worried about the intensity of chem and drowning? I don’t want to come away from the biological side of things too much and know that post grad I can focus on biochem just a bit concerned about getting there!!

Why not do biochem then? Whether or not you can swap will depend on the uni so maybe check with them?
Reply 4
No biochem option in my uni, but there is a module each year that looks at biochem in the chem degree. I dunno just very torn atm I want something with longevity and I feel that maybe with chemistry? What have you studied?
No biochem option in my uni, but there is a module each year that looks at biochem in the chem degree. I dunno just very torn atm I want something with longevity and I feel that maybe with chemistry? What have you studied?

Nothing has longevity really unfortunately unless you doggedly go from BSc to MSc to PhD to a career in academic or industry and even then there may be other things that get in the way. Like I said before choose what interests you more. My education details are in my signature. Good luck!
You will inevitably cover some (bio)chemical principles in your core bioscience courses, so chemistry isn't necessarily a must at degree level. I would argue the biotechnology is more useful for industry working, while the chemistry side may be more useful for academia, depending on your specific field.

They are fundamentally different areas - if you want to learn about genetic engineering, microbiology and things related to e.g. food science and agricultre (major sectors for bioscientists, potentially) then the biotechnology option may be more interesting. Chemistry is, well, chemistry. It is really a separate field, although with obvious overlap - compared with biotechnology which is a subfield of biology. You may find the specific approaches and techniques used are considerably more dissimilar between biology and chemistry compared with biology and biotechnology - this may also be reflected in summative assessment, e.g. exams. I'd wager you may have more "problem solving" questions in the chemistry elements compared with the longer form prose typically for bioscience examinations.

At the end of the day, neither choice is going to materially disadvantage you in of itself - just choose the one you personally find most interesting and motivating to pursue (which will inevitably translate to better grades, a better classification, and better graduate employment prospects or postgraduate applications).
Reply 7
Reply 8
Thanks, I feel like I’d do better in biology/biotech and the course ha an integrated masters. I met with the tutor yday who was discussing PhD opportunities, all very interesting.

The chemistry degree is a sandwich degree so a year in industry which will obviously put me in good stead for a job afterwards. For some reason I have this voice at the back of my mind telling me that this will be the best for career but I’m scared I’ll be rubbish at it.

I just need to be told that biology isn’t a waste of time and that biotech is as valuable as chemistry haha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending