The Student Room Group

apprenticeship after uni

just wondering if it would be stupid to get an apprenticeship after finishing a uni course, or the other way around
Wouldn't it just mean wasting another few years studying something when you can get a job from your apprenticeship or your degree. However, if it was with regards to a change in interest , it would be a choice I'd make.
Reply 2
Original post by abhinair3004
Wouldn't it just mean wasting another few years studying something when you can get a job from your apprenticeship or your degree. However, if it was with regards to a change in interest , it would be a choice I'd make.

It would indeed be wasting years but nah I thought about getting it in the same area. Basically I want to persue a carreer in Media. Which is kinda hard, without any degree, and most companies also require experience, which uni, doesn't really offer. Yet at the same time I feel like apprenticeship degrees are not taken as seriously as Uni degrees so I didn't know if it was worth wasting an extra year or 2 and doing both.
Original post by Carla.Power
It would indeed be wasting years but nah I thought about getting it in the same area. Basically I want to persue a carreer in Media. Which is kinda hard, without any degree, and most companies also require experience, which uni, doesn't really offer. Yet at the same time I feel like apprenticeship degrees are not taken as seriously as Uni degrees so I didn't know if it was worth wasting an extra year or 2 and doing both.

Doing both would completely defeat the purpose imo , you could do a part time uni degree while working in the sector. But, the stress of coping with both would be unreal . My advice would be to choose one path and stick to it , considering the field I'd say to go with the apprenticeship route. That's just my opinion.
Reply 4
Original post by abhinair3004
Doing both would completely defeat the purpose imo , you could do a part time uni degree while working in the sector. But, the stress of coping with both would be unreal . My advice would be to choose one path and stick to it , considering the field I'd say to go with the apprenticeship route. That's just my opinion.

Okay thank you, Ill take everything into account, I have to apply for uni or an apprenticeship this year and I have no clue what to do haha. Thanks
Okay thank you, Ill take everything into account, I have to apply for uni or an apprenticeship this year and I have no clue what to do haha. Thanks

Choose a route in which you feel you'll be comfortable and flourish well.
just wondering if it would be stupid to get an apprenticeship after finishing a uni course, or the other way around

99% of organisations wont let graduates apply for their apprenticeships.

Quick Reply

Latest