The Student Room Group

HELP PLEASe

Long story short.I am resitting Gcse EDEXCEL Foundation Maths this June after i failed last year getting a Grade 3.I am resitting at a private centre so i will obviously have to self teach.I HAVE to Pass at least get a Grade 4,i am spending £200 on this.The only problem is i dont know what the hell is going to come up on this Spec.Will it be similar to last year ? What are the topics,what is the best ways to get a pass,i have 2/3 months to do this.....I would like to add i am absoulutely rubbish at Maths and it is my weakest subject.I feel like if i fail again,i cannot even bear to think about it....
(edited 6 years ago)
If i were you, I would get a GCSE Maths revision guide. That really helped me pass my GCSE maths. You also just need to lots and lots of questions to get used to the question styles so you will know what sort of things they might ask. Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by Ty457
Long story short.I am resitting Gcse EDEXCEL Foundation Maths this June after i failed last year getting a Grade 3.I am resitting at a private centre so i will obviously have to self teach.I HAVE to Pass at least get a Grade 4,i am spending £200 on this.The only problem is i dont know what the hell is going to come up on this Spec.Will it be similar to last year ? What are the topics,what is the best ways to get a pass,i have 2/3 months to do this.....I would like to add i am absoulutely rubbish at Maths and it is my weakest subject.I feel like if i fail again,i cannot even bear to think about it....

You are leaving a little bit late to start revising for a subject like Maths so late in the year. Anyway, better sooner than later!

Try doing every exam question that you can find and using the revision guides. When you struggle w something try to google it or use youtube. otherwise, seek a private tutor who may be able to do a crash course.
Reply 3
Original post by Pearlfection1
You are leaving a little bit late to start revising for a subject like Maths so late in the year. Anyway, better sooner than later!

Try doing every exam question that you can find and using the revision guides. When you struggle w something try to google it or use youtube. otherwise, seek a private tutor who may be able to do a crash course.

I dont know though the topics that will come up this year on the Edexcel Foundation Paper ? Can current Year 11's help me with this ? Will it be similar to last year ?
Original post by Ty457
I dont know though the topics that will come up this year on the Edexcel Foundation Paper ? Can current Year 11's help me with this ? Will it be similar to last year ?

On the 9-1 Edexcel Spec- it's a new spec your not really going to know what exactly is going to come up so you'll perhaps be better off studying every thing.
Reply 5
Original post by Pearlfection1
On the 9-1 Edexcel Spec- it's a new spec your not really going to know what exactly is going to come up so you'll perhaps be better off studying every thing.

So what are the teachers who are teaching current Year 11's focusing on ? Theirs always a topic which they put that little bit more ephasis on ? School/Teachers will get hints of what is likely to be put on the paper they then will put greater importance on teaching the students that.
At the moment in my school, the Y11s are just doing lots of specimens and past papers but the girl i'm mentoring says that her teacher mainly focuses on trigonometry such as learning the trig values, cosine and sine rules and the graphs etc. as it is quite a big topic and the big questions (5 or 6 markers) usually involve them
Original post by bigtony432
At the moment in my school, the Y11s are just doing lots of specimens and past papers but the girl i'm mentoring says that her teacher mainly focuses on trigonometry such as learning the trig values, cosine and sine rules and the graphs etc. as it is quite a big topic and the big questions (5 or 6 markers) usually involve them

Having spent a lot of time with maths head of department I can say that they focus on trig, shapes etc every year. In that case our Yr 11s are focusing on algebraic fractions.
Original post by Ty457

Buy a revision guide such as this one
https://www.amazon.co.uk/REVISE-Edexcel-Mathematics-Foundation-Revision/dp/1447988043/ref=sr_1_19_sspa?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1520810179&sr=1-19-spons&keywords=edexcel+gcse+maths+9-1&psc=1
And a practice workbook
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Edexcel-Mathematics-Foundation-Revision-Workbook/dp/1447987926/ref=pd_sim_14_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=2J3H2ZWFP203S79Z8Z1W

Study every topic, they are all likely to appear in the exams.

use the www.mathsgenie.co.uk web site for revision videos and extra practice questions

Quick Reply

Latest