The Student Room Group

Age for observing in surgeries

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nexttime
Why is someone's age relevant? As long as you can keep confidentiality, why couldn't a 10 year old watch the butchers at work?

The NHS , as far as I know, only allow people above the age of 17 to do work experience in certain wards. Kinda confusing as to why 17, but they do definitely have an age limit for the majority of wards for atleast my hospital. I'm lucky I got one day's worth with an amazing cardiologist who has allowed me to come back whenever so will definitely do plenty of WE before applying to medicine!
Original post by XxxvatxxX
The NHS , as far as I know, only allow people above the age of 17 to do work experience in certain wards. Kinda confusing as to why 17, but they do definitely have an age limit for the majority of wards for atleast my hospital. I'm lucky I got one day's worth with an amazing cardiologist who has allowed me to come back whenever so will definitely do plenty of WE before applying to medicine!

Why would some wards be included and some exempt?!

There is no NHS policy - it is all local.
Original post by nexttime
Why would some wards be included and some exempt?!

There is no NHS policy - it is all local.

Well not sure if it's local, but I had applied to 3 'NHS' hospitals, and all declined any under 17s a year ago. I literally had to argue to my nearest hospital's lady who does all the WE stuff as it had been a year since I was on their 'waiting list' (honestly doubt they had one) and after several emails she finally inclined to give me ONE day at the hospital! I guess I was fortunate enough to be places with a very nice consultant allowing me to come back, otherwise, they dont take many people anyways...
Reply 23
Original post by XxxvatxxX
Well not sure if it's local, but I had applied to 3 'NHS' hospitals, and all declined any under 17s a year ago. I literally had to argue to my nearest hospital's lady who does all the WE stuff as it had been a year since I was on their 'waiting list' (honestly doubt they had one) and after several emails she finally inclined to give me ONE day at the hospital! I guess I was fortunate enough to be places with a very nice consultant allowing me to come back, otherwise, they dont take many people anyways...

The official work experience channels can be a nightmare - our closest hospital only let 2 students per school do it per year. I emailed some consultants saying I was interested in their field and found one who was happy to let me shadow him.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending