The Student Room Group

Any Athiests who now believe in God?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SaucissonSecCy
And I don't mean you have to have a literalist interpretation or practice organised religion as such.

But has anyone found a different perspective?

How did it change you, in your view?

I am someone who was raised atheist my whole life, my parents think my belief is risible, I mentioned it the other day and they see it like a thought crime, and an embarrassment, no-one around me believes it, but I just find their world view quite oppressive now and dogmatic. I think that generation is quite narcissistic generally and convinced of their own worldview in everything, and It think they damaged the world a lot. They seem to have everything according to their wishes and believe the rest of us are unfortunate if we deviate from their views.

This dry unemotional rationalism, along with the soulless technocratic politics and digital age, had left me feeling utterly frustrated.

I now am looking back on it as maddeningly narrow...I need a world of ideals, spiritual and political.

For the first time in my life I understand the perspective of a believer and why militant atheism and the attempt to wipe out faith annoys people a much as it does.

I'm an agnostic. The worst type of faith. :frown:
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Well technically it is a baseless assertion, in that it is not supported by any evidence.

But once again, that's special pleading. You cannot in one breath say the universe's complexity requires a creator, but the creator's doesn't. You're also making the basic error of conflating the laws within the universe to the creation of the universe itself, where those same laws are not thought to apply.

The question has not been answered, it is nothing more than special pleading and baseless assertions made by theists. You're trying to define a god into existence and that isn't proof. Substitute "God" for "timeless, immaterial, eternal, magical rabbit" and it highlights the absurdity of your position.

Actually, God or whatever divine thing created the Universe can never exclusively be a "magical rabbit" as it is immaterial and timeless, and so is not bound by the laws of the Universe. So, this is an absurd point you make. A rabbit is a species of animal that has been created through the long process of evolution, and is the product of time space and matter interacting over a large period of time.

And so God or a creator can never exclusively be something that is the result of time space and matter acting upon itself if a God or creator is to be immaterial, timeless and eternal. God can be both a magical rabbit, and in his original form if he so desired. But, he cannot be exclusively a magical rabbit.
The question has not been answered, it is nothing more than special pleading and baseless assertions made by theists. You're trying to define a god into existence and that isn't proof. Substitute "God" for "timeless, immaterial, eternal, magical rabbit" and it highlights the absurdity of your position.

How did rabbits come into existence?
Original post by Golden State
Actually, God or whatever divine thing created the Universe can never exclusively be a "magical rabbit" as it is immaterial and timeless, and so is not bound by the laws of the Universe.

Baseless claim. Why does a being need to be immaterial? There is no logical requirement for an omnipotent being to not be able to have a material body and a magical, all-powerful rabbit would not, by your definition, need to be bound by the universe's laws either.

So, this is an absurd point you make. A rabbit is a species of animal that has been created through the long process of evolution, and is the product of time space and matter interacting over a large period of time.

But you are speaking about an Earth rabbit, not an omnipotent, magical, timeless rabbit, so the point still stands.

And so God or a creator can never exclusively be something that is the result of time space and matter acting upon itself if a God or creator is to be immaterial, timeless and eternal. God can be both a magical rabbit, and in his original form if he so desired. But, he cannot be exclusively a magical rabbit.

I have already dealt with this point, as to why a god can be material. Come to think of it, you haven't actually explained, why logically, a deity can not be made up of or interact with the things it creates. It's just an assertion, but not one founded in any intrinsic logic/contradiction.
Original post by MiszshorTea786
How did rabbits come into existence?

Earth rabbits came about by evolution. But a magical, all-powerful rabbit has always existed.
Earth rabbits came about by evolution. But a magical, all-powerful rabbit has always existed.

Evolution, and how did evolution begin?

(Aside from Big bang theory)
Evolution, and how did evolution begin?

(Aside from Big bang theory)

MiszshorTea786, this isn't a discussion about how evolution began. That's a huge separate discussion and not the purpose of this thread.
MiszshorTea786, this isn't a discussion about how evolution began. That's a huge separate discussion and not the purpose of this thread.

Now don't dodge away from the intial questioning my reasoning at the end would explain all.

Now if you do not mind, Planta aside from the big bang theory, how did evolution begin?

Since when did you start caring about threads de-railing?

I and you always seem to hijack the Islam threads.
(edited 6 years ago)
Belief/faith is for the weak. Of course some of us will crumble.
Now don't dodge away from the intial questioning my reasoning at the end would explain all.

Now if you do not mind, Planta aside from the big bang theory, how did evolution begin?

See post 109.
See post 109.

Answer the question Planta, and stop beating around the bush.
Answer the question Planta, and stop beating around the bush.

See post 109. If you already have reasoning, then produce it, otherwise see post 109.
See post 109. If you already have reasoning, then produce it, otherwise see post 109.

Not until you answer my question. I ask for the third time, how did evolution begin?
Original post by Kushala Daora
I'm an agnostic. The worst type of faith. :frown:

Why is it the worst?
Not until you answer my question. I ask for the third time, how did evolution begin?

Evolution is a mystery. Full of change that no one sees.
Original post by Golden State
Evolution is a mystery. Full of change that no one sees.

That can be debatable.
If you’re agnostic then you should be looking for a religon to follow asap. Arent you scared?
Original post by Jheinexx
If you’re agnostic then you should be looking for a religon to follow asap. Arent you scared?

Should fear motivate religious belief?
Original post by Axiomasher
Should fear motivate religious belief?

Well yeah if you’re agnostic. If you believe theres a god then you know that you should be following a religon so theres no consequences. Arent they scared? Idk
Original post by Jheinexx
Well yeah if you’re agnostic. If you believe theres a god then you know that you should be following a religon so theres no consequences. Arent they scared? Idk

But agnosticism isn't belief in gods. Besides this, do you follow a religion because you are afraid of the consequences of not doing so?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending