The Student Room Group

I don't live with my parents, but I'm penalised for their income.

Hi, I'm a first year uni student. I live on my own in my own flat, I am 23 and support myself by working and student loan. I am provided no financial assistance from my parents.

I am offered the lowest band of maintenance loan due to my parents having a large income, meaning I have to work full time around university and often miss lessons as a result of having to make ends meet. It's just annoying seeing other students get a free ride, not having to work even part time.

I can't be classed as an independent student because I'm under 25 and can't receive a bursary.

Has anyone else been in this situation or is currently, and found some help in some way?

The way they calculate entitlement just seems broken to me.
Reply 1
Original post by Miykul
Hi, I'm a first year uni student. I live on my own in my own flat, I am 23 and support myself by working and student loan. I am provided no financial assistance from my parents.

I am offered the lowest band of maintenance loan due to my parents having a large income, meaning I have to work full time around university and often miss lessons as a result of having to make ends meet. It's just annoying seeing other students get a free ride, not having to work even part time.

I can't be classed as an independent student because I'm under 25 and can't receive a bursary.

Has anyone else been in this situation or is currently, and found some help in some way?

I should add that I'm not wanting or expecting to be able to stop working, I obviously want to continue my work. I would just benefit from having some of the weight taken off my shoulders from HAVING to work constantly to be able to afford to live :smile:
Original post by Miykul

The uni has funds (not intended as a long term solution) for people struggling financially.

Are you estranged from your parents or will they just not help out?
Reply 3
Original post by Tiger Rag
The uni has funds (not intended as a long term solution) for people struggling financially.

Are you estranged from your parents or will they just not help out?

We still talk every now and then. But they wanted me to move out as much as I wanted out, and they aren't supporting at all (which I don't think they should have to). It's an awkward position to be in for sure.
I'm sorry that you are in this situation, I faced an identical problem until very recently.

I would advise bringing this up with your university. Mine were able to provide me with some funds as well as assisting with my application to become an independent student on the basis of estrangement. The Student Finance website only mentions estrangement being a possibility if you have had no contact for one year, but you are actually able to claim it after less than this time if you can provide sufficient evidence. Severance does not have to be complete either (e.g. my mother and I text a few times a year but that's it, and this was included in my application).
Reply 5
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
I'm sorry that you are in this situation, I faced an identical problem until very recently.

I would advise bringing this up with your university. Mine were able to provide me with some funds as well as assisting with my application to become an independent student on the basis of estrangement. The Student Finance website only mentions estrangement being a possibility if you have had no contact for one year, but you are actually able to claim it after less than this time if you can provide sufficient evidence. Severance does not have to be complete either (e.g. my mother and I text a few times a year but that's it, and this was included in my application).

Thanks for the reply That does sound promising. I did look into it, and I'd need a letter from a professional? My mum and dad are good friends with a doctor so I guess they could ask him for that? Obviously without giving too much about your situation, could you give me as much information about that process as possible?
Original post by Miykul
Thanks for the reply That does sound promising. I did look into it, and I'd need a letter from a professional? My mum and dad are good friends with a doctor so I guess they could ask him for that? Obviously without giving too much about your situation, could you give me as much information about that process as possible?

Ideally you want to provide as much evidence as possible. I contacted two former teachers who were able to provide an account of their impressions of my relationship with my family. I also included old emails to teachers that related to the situation, and the financial services person at my university was able to confirm my situation as well (she'd known about it for two years as I had previously requested help from her department).

I think you are misunderstanding what the letter needs to say. A doctor is suggested as a reference as they may have insight into your situation, for example if you went to a GP for mental health issues and cited a poor family relationship as a possible cause/cause of exacerbation of these. Similarly to why social workers etc are suggested. Choosing someone that your parents have a good relationship with to provide a reference, and moreover asking your parents to ask him to do it will probably not help your case.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending