The Student Room Group

Got 4 rejections and will probably get a fifth, kinda lost about what to do.

As you can read in the title, I've applied for ucas with 5 choices and have so far been rejected by 4 of them, the fifth hasn't replied but i'm kinda worried and convinced that I will get rejected by it as well.

Currently I am in year 13 and im studying Music Technology and BTEC Sports & Exercise Science. I did kinda *****y in my AS by getting D for Music overall, Failing sports science and getting a E in Politics, as a result I had to drop politics if I wanted to continue on to year 13. I enjoyed politics but during class I was completely baffled about what I was learning mainly cause I didn't ask my teachers for help. I kinda feel bad cause everyone else who didn't re-take they year kinda did well or okay and I go to a really good school where a bunch of them will probably end up in oxford or Cambridge, I'm also really antisocial and shy so cant really talk to many people about it as I find it really hard to talk to others about it.

When it came to deciding to choose what I wanted to in the future, I decided to go into Physics as during my GCSE's, Physics was probably my favourite subject, also I didn't enjoy Sports Science as mush as I hoped and while I did enjoy music, I didn't think it would be worth it as a career choice so I will probably just keep as a hobby when I leave college. One problem, I wasn't doing Physics A-Level because I ****ed my GCSE'S up only getting 1A in History so I couldn't do Physics in my sixth form, also I pretty much had forgotten everything from GCSE about physics so when it came to writing my statement it was a thousand times harder for me, I felt out of place and lonely. Thankfully I talked to my sister who helped me out and put me on track by talking to me about foundation year's for physics if you didn't have the right grades, with the advice and help that she gave me along with the help of some friends, I managed to write my personal statement in around an hour, I gave it to my ref, he gave me a few corrections and I submitted it (a week before the January Deadline lol)

A month and a bit has passed and here I am, with 4 rejections, no clear path for my future and a bundle of problems.

I have quite bad depression which started when I started sixth form, my mum was very unhappy with my results during GCSE's which were 1A 7B's & 1E (in RE lmao) in my book thats pretty good but for my mum thats not good enough, shes really into being an academic and anything that isn't considered academic or not many people do is not that good for her so I was constantly getting harassed by my mum about how I did which pissed me off but at the same time she thought I was cursed and it was not my fault which is really weird and confusing but anytime i questioned her about it she looked at me like i'm a fukin idiot. Apparently in her country this type of stuff is normal but yeah. In this situation I only had my Sister who could help me out but even then it didn't always help cause were also in a bit of a financial struggle and my mum hasn't had a job for a while through no fault of her own which makes her anger and frustration understandable but at the same time it just makes it harder to cope. Now currently it had just affected my overall motivation to work and take part in certain activities, I'm unable to revise as there is a thought at the back of my head that I'm just gonna fail and nothing good will come of this.

My sister has suggested that I go through clearing in the event that I don't get a uni spot but I just have this nagging doubt if i even will get a spot in a uni so i'm here to suggest any tips and advice and anyone else who may be going through the same thing I am.

In the even I don't get a place, I'm gonna have to take a gap year, can anyone suggest any jobs I should go for, not the typical MacDonald's job or restaurant waiter job as I have had my share of disappointments looking for one.

UPDATE: I have been rejected from all of my original 5 Choices, for now I'm going to try Extra.
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

you don't have to go to uni, talk to your careers teacher and look for other ways to continue studies if you want to...eg while working.
Reply 2
It sounds like you don't really know what course you want to do yet and that's ok. Maybe consider taking a gap year and doing some volunteering (I can link potential volunteering opportunities if you're interested) and then reapplying to university when you're in a better state of mind.

If your 5th option rejects you, you'll be allowed to apply again through Extra (to one course at a time). Here's some more info on it:
https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/apply-and-track/track-your-application/extra-choices

You could also apply for a degree apprenticeship: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/higher-and-degree-apprenticeship-vacancies
There's a document there with a list of 2018 apprenticeships and links to the application forms. No harm in applying for a few if you have time.

If you're really set on university this year and aren't able to secure a place in Extra, then Clearing is also a good opportunity to browse different courses that are available and see if there's anything else you like. I ended up on a completely different course to what I had originally applied for but ending up really enjoying it. I hope that helps :smile:
I withdrew my applications when I was 17 and decided to take a year out. I spent 3 years working around the world using working holidays and have now just got into the best uni for development in the world when I've only got 2 Cs from a levels and had No idea what I was going to do. If you're motivated in life you'll go far regardless of grades. don't worry, just try your hardest.
You’re not doing any science related subjects, your predicted grades are probably fairly low and a personal statement written in an hour makes it not surprising that you’ve gotten 4 rejections.

If you’re really set on doing physics, then the best option is to start a levels all over again. Look into starting at a different college which would allow you to do A level physics as well as related subjects such as A level Maths and futher maths, based on your gcse results.

A strong personal statement can also do wonders if your predicted grades and AS grades are not fantastic.
Reply 5
Original post by Petulia
It sounds like you don't really know what course you want to do yet and that's ok. Maybe consider taking a gap year and doing some volunteering (I can link potential volunteering opportunities if you're interested) and then reapplying to university when you're in a better state of mind.

If your 5th option rejects you, you'll be allowed to apply again through Extra (to one course at a time). Here's some more info on it:
https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/apply-and-track/track-your-application/extra-choices

You could also apply for a degree apprenticeship: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/higher-and-degree-apprenticeship-vacancies
There's a document there with a list of 2018 apprenticeships and links to the application forms. No harm in applying for a few if you have time.

If you're really set on university this year and aren't able to secure a place in Extra, then Clearing is also a good opportunity to browse different courses that are available and see if there's anything else you like. I ended up on a completely different course to what I had originally applied for but ending up really enjoying it. I hope that helps :smile:

I don't really know if I want to go into volunteering or go into apprenticeships, I mainly just don't want to stay at home, I wanna go out there and meet new people and I don't wanna go travelling to other countries yet. I guess i'm just very confused in general idk
Reply 6
You could take a year out, reassess your goals because as others have said, you don't really seem to know what you want to do for your whole life and uni is a big decision like that.
I'd take a year, then do an Access course in the field you want to go into and then apply from there. There is no rush to go to uni STRAIGHT after college. I'll be 22 when I first go to university...some people on my course are over 30. Also, with a year out you can get a job or do a **** ton of volunteering which will put you ahead of most applicants experience wise :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by katherine9609
You’re not doing any science related subjects, your predicted grades are probably fairly low and a personal statement written in an hour makes it not surprising that you’ve gotten 4 rejections.

If you’re really set on doing physics, then the best option is to start a levels all over again. Look into starting at a different college which would allow you to do A level physics as well as related subjects such as A level Maths and futher maths, based on your gcse results.

A strong personal statement can also do wonders if your predicted grades and AS grades are not fantastic.

When I say that I spent an hour writing my personal statement, I kinda meant to say just writing the bulk of it, i spent like 2 weeks fine-tuning it as well by asking friends, family and my referee. My predicted grades are pretty bad tbh. I'm not really keen on restarting my A-levels, for me it would be kinda embarrassing and I care wayy too much what people think of me. I'm willing to put the necessary work needed to achieve good grades its just my mind is in a different place atm.
Reply 8
Original post by Avaia
You could take a year out, reassess your goals because as others have said, you don't really seem to know what you want to do for your whole life and uni is a big decision like that.
I'd take a year, then do an Access course in the field you want to go into and then apply from there. There is no rush to go to uni STRAIGHT after college. I'll be 22 when I first go to university...some people on my course are over 30. Also, with a year out you can get a job or do a **** ton of volunteering which will put you ahead of most applicants experience wise :smile:

You are right in me not even knowing what I want to do with my life, I mainly just don't wanna stay at home with a toxic vibe around the house, i wanna go somewhere new where I can have a fresh start to life and learn new stuff but I don't know what I wanna learn.
Reply 9
Original post by Juvilation
I don't really know if I want to go into volunteering or go into apprenticeships, I mainly just don't want to stay at home, I wanna go out there and meet new people and I don't wanna go travelling to other countries yet. I guess i'm just very confused in general idk

A degree apprenticeship is an apprenticeship for 3-4 years where you're paid a minimum starting salary of 11k each year while earning a degree that's funded by them. So you might spend 1 day a week at university and work the other 4 days. Still a good chance to meet new people. I think you should browse over that list and just see if there's anything you might be interested in, and it might even give you some ideas about the type of field you could go into.

I'd highly recommend doing some volunteering, maybe at your local library, charity shop etc, it forces you out of your comfort zone and you get so many rewards from it. With that built up confidence, you can then apply for apprenticeship and demonstrate your soft skills from your volunteering experience.

I also know there's NCS, ICS, DofE schemes you could take part in which improves your own development and you could make friends from it.. and then hopefully you'll be more confident to start travelling and meeting new people from different cultures. :smile:
When I say that I spent an hour writing my personal statement, I kinda meant to say just writing the bulk of it, i spent like 2 weeks fine-tuning it as well by asking friends, family and my referee. My predicted grades are pretty bad tbh. I'm not really keen on restarting my A-levels, for me it would be kinda embarrassing and I care wayy too much what people think of me. I'm willing to put the necessary work needed to achieve good grades its just my mind is in a different place atm.

The thing is, you won’t get onto a physics course with the courses you’re doing now no matter what grades you’ll get.

As everyone else had said, you don’t appear to know what you actually want to do so it’s best to let uni go for now.

Restarting a levels is not embarrassing at all. Neither is starting uni at a later time than “everyone” or not going at all. At the end of the day, you’re doing these things for yourself and they will benefit your future, not the future of those who attended your sixth form.
Always remember to do what’s best for you, not your classmates.
Reply 12
You are right in me not even knowing what I want to do with my life, I mainly just don't wanna stay at home with a toxic vibe around the house, i wanna go somewhere new where I can have a fresh start to life and learn new stuff but I don't know what I wanna learn.

You could look to do volunteering abroad, get a job for a couple months and then save up the funds you need to secure your place (usually under £1000), and then go abroad on a volunteering placement for 3 months. Or you could try to find something closer by that still lets you move away for a bit. Either way it will look great on a future personal statement and CV for years to come :smile: There isn't a rush and try not to overthink this too much, your life is reallllyyyyyy long and you have so much time for things, don't rush into anything you aren't certain on yet. If I had done that then I would be studying Russian Studies at a university I don't like and my life would be at a dead end right now, taking 4 years out has enabled me to get some experience which even seasoned 50 year olds don't have and that will put me ahead of almost all applicants for most jobs, even without a degree. You never know what you can achieve, just let life take you somewhere and don't panic that you won't start uni at 18 :smile: Best of luck to you <3
Hey,
Reading your post definitely sounded like a reflection of a few parts of my a level years.
I'm currently in year 13 and studying Psychology and Citizenship A level. I started year 12 doing Chemistry, Biology, Maths and Psychology, with the intention i would go on to study psychology or something science related. However, I also have depression and because of a major breakdown at the end of the last summer term I ended up dropping basically all my subjects and realised I was going to have to change my future plans, I really did think it was the end of the world but it really wasn't.
My mum suggested teaching to me, and despite being initially opposed to the idea i actually applied to university to study primary education and got all 5 offers. It actually made perfect sense, I love working with children and always knew i wanted a job working with them, I enjoy the process of learning and teaching and helping others and i am so excited to finally finish A levels and start the course.
Now, i'm not trying to gloat about the fact i've gotten offers and you haven't yet, but to actually prove that things do work out.
So... Here are some suggestions of what to do.
First, wait back to here from the last university, you may be surprised of the outcome.
You will need a back up plan, so think about where you can apply in clearing for either the same or a similar course. Also bare in mind that the requirements in clearing are usually lower than when you initially apply.
You might also want to think about if you still want to do physics. You said you made that decision during GCSE's, alot changes. I thought i was going to study medicine at uni in year 10 and i'm most certainly not! :wink:
If you don't go to uni, take a year out. Give yourself a break! Get a job, save some money, really think about what it is you want to do with your life, don't just rush into whatever degree you can.
Also, you might want to consider an apprenticeship. What job were you thinking of after the physics degree? You might want to try looking for something in that field or maybe something completely different.

But my main tip for you right now is take a breath, and just try your absolute best to finish a levels to the best of your abilities. i know how hard it is especially when your mental health isn't the best, so well done you for getting this far!
Feel free to hmu if you want to talk as well :tongue:
Original post by larahlarah0022
Hey,
Reading your post definitely sounded like a reflection of a few parts of my a level years.
I'm currently in year 13 and studying Psychology and Citizenship A level. I started year 12 doing Chemistry, Biology, Maths and Psychology, with the intention i would go on to study psychology or something science related. However, I also have depression and because of a major breakdown at the end of the last summer term I ended up dropping basically all my subjects and realised I was going to have to change my future plans, I really did think it was the end of the world but it really wasn't.
My mum suggested teaching to me, and despite being initially opposed to the idea i actually applied to university to study primary education and got all 5 offers. It actually made perfect sense, I love working with children and always knew i wanted a job working with them, I enjoy the process of learning and teaching and helping others and i am so excited to finally finish A levels and start the course.
Now, i'm not trying to gloat about the fact i've gotten offers and you haven't yet, but to actually prove that things do work out.
So... Here are some suggestions of what to do.
First, wait back to here from the last university, you may be surprised of the outcome.
You will need a back up plan, so think about where you can apply in clearing for either the same or a similar course. Also bare in mind that the requirements in clearing are usually lower than when you initially apply.
You might also want to think about if you still want to do physics. You said you made that decision during GCSE's, alot changes. I thought i was going to study medicine at uni in year 10 and i'm most certainly not! :wink:
If you don't go to uni, take a year out. Give yourself a break! Get a job, save some money, really think about what it is you want to do with your life, don't just rush into whatever degree you can.
Also, you might want to consider an apprenticeship. What job were you thinking of after the physics degree? You might want to try looking for something in that field or maybe something completely different.

But my main tip for you right now is take a breath, and just try your absolute best to finish a levels to the best of your abilities. i know how hard it is especially when your mental health isn't the best, so well done you for getting this far!
Feel free to hmu if you want to talk as well :tongue:

I doubt I will get that final offer but i will just have to wait and see, Reading your comments and others, I'm thinking that I still wanna go into physics or technology field but I will have to look at different careers to go into. I guess I wouldn't mind doing an apprenticeship or a degree apprenticeship but I know this will sound really stupid but I will have to convince my mum about what I want to do, as iv'e talked about apprenticeships in the past and she's had a negative view on them. Now i know its stupid that i'm basing my future on my mums opinion but its really hard to convince her about stuff and she can be very irrational and unpredictable about the way she acts for this kinda stuff, But for now I will try to convince her. i'm going to fall back take in everyone's feedback, wait for my last decision to come in before I make any decisions I guess.
Original post by Avaia
You could look to do volunteering abroad, get a job for a couple months and then save up the funds you need to secure your place (usually under £1000), and then go abroad on a volunteering placement for 3 months. Or you could try to find something closer by that still lets you move away for a bit. Either way it will look great on a future personal statement and CV for years to come :smile: There isn't a rush and try not to overthink this too much, your life is reallllyyyyyy long and you have so much time for things, don't rush into anything you aren't certain on yet. If I had done that then I would be studying Russian Studies at a university I don't like and my life would be at a dead end right now, taking 4 years out has enabled me to get some experience which even seasoned 50 year olds don't have and that will put me ahead of almost all applicants for most jobs, even without a degree. You never know what you can achieve, just let life take you somewhere and don't panic that you won't start uni at 18 :smile: Best of luck to you <3

What type of volunteering would you suggest, I don't know If I want to go abroad for it.
Original post by katherine9609
The thing is, you won’t get onto a physics course with the courses you’re doing now no matter what grades you’ll get.

As everyone else had said, you don’t appear to know what you actually want to do so it’s best to let uni go for now.

Restarting a levels is not embarrassing at all. Neither is starting uni at a later time than “everyone” or not going at all. At the end of the day, you’re doing these things for yourself and they will benefit your future, not the future of those who attended your sixth form.
Always remember to do what’s best for you, not your classmates.

I know I wouldn't get onto a normal physics course with my subjects that's why I said applied for foundation courses instead. Its not that I care about what others are doing, I just don't want to be judged by people who are seemingly and who probably are smarter than me.
Reply 17
What type of volunteering would you suggest, I don't know If I want to go abroad for it.

Anything, it really doesn't matter. Any volunteering will give you skills and life experience. Some good ones that will look really good are St Johns Ambulance (you get first aid qualifications and will improve your people skills, you dont have to be doing a medical subject or even know first aid). Any bolunteering where you work with kids or vulnerable people, this shows your levels of responsibility and trust, many childrens hospitals will have a volunteer program such as radio lolipop.
Search do-it.org there are so many. I personally volunteer with teenage cancer trust and they are absolutely amazing and so fun to work with :smile:
I doubt I will get that final offer but i will just have to wait and see, Reading your comments and others, I'm thinking that I still wanna go into physics or technology field but I will have to look at different careers to go into. I guess I wouldn't mind doing an apprenticeship or a degree apprenticeship but I know this will sound really stupid but I will have to convince my mum about what I want to do, as iv'e talked about apprenticeships in the past and she's had a negative view on them. Now i know its stupid that i'm basing my future on my mums opinion but its really hard to convince her about stuff and she can be very irrational and unpredictable about the way she acts for this kinda stuff, But for now I will try to convince her. i'm going to fall back take in everyone's feedback, wait for my last decision to come in before I make any decisions I guess.

I think wait for the last decision and then have a look at UCAS Extra if you haven't got a place.

I know you've applied for foundation years, but do the grades you have/are likely to get actually meet their entry requirements? These courses are still quite competitive and most applicants will probably have 3 full A-levels. When looking in Extra, make sure you're at least close to meeting the advertised entry requirements, or any application will be a long shot.

If you're really sure you want to do physics or an engineering/technology type course then the best option might be to gain some extra qualifications next year (e.g. through taking extra A-levels). An access course might also be an option.

Otherwise, there are options to go into careers straight away from sixth form and then taking exams as you progress to qualify. Accounting is one option that works like this, as do many financial services like working in insurance or as a financial advisor. Why not have a look and see what sort of jobs might be open to you? If it doesn't work out, you can always go to uni in the future.

I would say don't go to uni just for the sake of getting away from your mum- It probably won't work out and you'll end up having to drop out, so you'll be back to square one.
Original post by SarcAndSpark
I think wait for the last decision and then have a look at UCAS Extra if you haven't got a place.

I know you've applied for foundation years, but do the grades you have/are likely to get actually meet their entry requirements? These courses are still quite competitive and most applicants will probably have 3 full A-levels. When looking in Extra, make sure you're at least close to meeting the advertised entry requirements, or any application will be a long shot.

If you're really sure you want to do physics or an engineering/technology type course then the best option might be to gain some extra qualifications next year (e.g. through taking extra A-levels). An access course might also be an option.

Otherwise, there are options to go into careers straight away from sixth form and then taking exams as you progress to qualify. Accounting is one option that works like this, as do many financial services like working in insurance or as a financial advisor. Why not have a look and see what sort of jobs might be open to you? If it doesn't work out, you can always go to uni in the future.

I would say don't go to uni just for the sake of getting away from your mum- It probably won't work out and you'll end up having to drop out, so you'll be back to square one.

Personally I don't want to go into a career in finance as I'm not really into boring office jobs wearing a grey suit, also i'm a sceptic when it comes to the sustainability of these jobs, iv'e read a few news articles that in 20 years finance jobs will be done by robots, I may be overreacting but i don't really fancy working in the finance sector, at least not atm.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending