The Student Room Group

Should we change the British National Anthem?

I think we need a national anthem emphasizing the people, unity, and the country's achievements and freedom, and not something focused on the Royal Family. I understand it's traditional but I honestly think it's ridiculous that the national anthem praises the monarchy that has very little involvement in modern day society. Personally I think Land of Hope and Glory or Rule Britannia! would be a better fit.
And your profile pic as the new flag
Most certainly. Why our national anthem isn't 'Rule Britannia', I will never know.
Reply 3
Original post by Less(e/o)n
Most certainly. Why our national anthem isn't 'Rule Britannia', I will never know.

Exactly what I think!
Reply 4
Original post by TheGirlFelonXxXx
And your profile pic as the new flag

100% agree
Reply 5
I vow to thee my country.

Rule Britannia is a bit too imperial and bogus.
Reply 6
Original post by Drewski
I vow to thee my country.

Rule Britannia is a bit too imperial and bogus.

Tbf that would also be a good replacement. As long as it is well known by the British public and praises our country rather than monarchy it would be a suitable replacement.
Reply 7
No never ever
Reply 8
Land of Hope & Glory is always touted as a possible replacement. I'm not into the god-bothering but I won;t sing a song to those ****ers in the palace. I'd not sing one to god either, mind.
It can't be rule Britannia. Far to depressing a statement about our current navy.

Also, don't change it yet, I want to see peoples confusion after the queen dies, and we have everyone signing 'God save our gracious qu-king!'

Quick Reply

Latest