The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CoolCavy
yes but that advert was on exercise i.e not real war

The recent adverts that I've seen for the UK army ought to be illegal IMO. They seem designed to misrepresent.
Original post by Sani882
I’m 15 years old, nearly 16, and I am a practising Muslim. Both my parents follow Islam and I have always been brought up to follow the religion. I do love my religion and I am a strong believer of equality and helping others. I’ve been interested in the army for a long time but always been told that either I couldn’t because I’m a girl, or because of my religion. I’m school we have been talking about going to war in r.s and it says that in Islam if that if we are told by our government to fight in a just war then we can. I’m just confused on whether I should or shouldn’t. I’ve only read about men who have joined the army and that it’s fine, so Is it the same for women?

If someone could answer this I’d be extremely great full.

P.s if I have stated anything that’s wrong or anything then I apologise it’s just what I’ve been taught.

Peace be with you, you are allowed to join the army Isamically speaking sis.

Spoiler

Original post by SuperHuman98
I saw an army advert based around the army being an employer that lets people pray as much as they need to

Within reason... If you're getting shot at or you complete undivided attention is needed then no, you won't be allowed to pray.
Original post by RogerOxon
The recent adverts that I've seen for the UK army ought to be illegal IMO. They seem designed to misrepresent.

They misrepresent nothing. They show the reality of being in the Army, including actually military personnel rather than actors.

You not liking it does not mean it's misrepresentation.
Original post by Drewski
They misrepresent nothing. They show the reality of being in the Army, including actually military personnel rather than actors.

You not liking it does not mean it's misrepresentation.

Perhaps we've not seen the same adverts then. The ones I've seen portray it as a laugh.
Original post by Ninja Squirrel
Within reason... If you're getting shot at or you complete undivided attention is needed then no, you won't be allowed to pray.

I really want to reply to this, but its from a religious perspective. I dont want to de-rail the thread.
Perhaps we've not seen the same adverts then. The ones I've seen portray it as a laugh.

Yes, and your problem with that is what, exactly?

You don't think people in challenging jobs can enjoy themselves?
You don't think people are allowed a sense of humour in the armed forces?

it's best to avoid the job altogether then
Reply 28

Let's not make this another debate about religion or it's going straight to the religion section.

Go for it.

lmao

Let's not make this another debate about religion or it's going straight to the religion section.

Yes you can join the Army as a Muslim but you'll have to put your job above your prayers and the hijab might have to be removed under certain circumstances.

Thanks for the big red caption. Yes you can join the army once you are 16 i believe.
Reply 30
Original post by Sani882
I’m 15 years old, nearly 16, and I am a practising Muslim. Both my parents follow Islam and I have always been brought up to follow the religion. I do love my religion and I am a strong believer of equality and helping others. I’ve been interested in the army for a long time but always been told that either I couldn’t because I’m a girl, or because of my religion. I’m school we have been talking about going to war in r.s and it says that in Islam if that if we are told by our government to fight in a just war then we can. I’m just confused on whether I should or shouldn’t. I’ve only read about men who have joined the army and that it’s fine, so Is it the same for women?

If someone could answer this I’d be extremely great full.

P.s if I have stated anything that’s wrong or anything then I apologise it’s just what I’ve been taught.

What does the Quran say about joining the army, i'm curious...?

I would have thought it would be Haram......
Reply 31
Yeah I think from the Army's perspective that dodging bullets and staying alive would take precedence over which way Mecca was.

Anyone who disagrees probably shouldn't go in the army.
Apparently some women were very skilled in battle during times of Prophet Muhammad so Islamically you can join the army to protect your country.

However, its generally looked down on and Muslim girls were told to stay away from it due to concerns on working with high number of male soldiers.
Original post by Drewski
Yes, and your problem with that is what, exactly?

You don't think people in challenging jobs can enjoy themselves?
You don't think people are allowed a sense of humour in the armed forces?

It's misrepresenting the job. I know that advertising is meant to only show the positive aspects, but, when the negatives are so severe (i.e. possible death), it's irresponsible to avoid any mention of the dangers IMO.
It's misrepresenting the job. I know that advertising is meant to only show the positive aspects, but, when the negatives are so severe (i.e. possible death), it's irresponsible to avoid any mention of the dangers IMO.

No it isn't.
It reflects the reality of the vast majority of the job.

What's your experience of the armed forces? Which branch did you work in? Where have you been deployed to?

Errr, you mean it's not representing your priorities! Do you expect every car advert to point out you could crash and die? Should every Cadbury's advert show the dangers of getting obese through eating chocolate? You know that living is fatal right?
Original post by Drewski
No it isn't.
It reflects the reality of the vast majority of the job.

What's your experience of the armed forces? Which branch did you work in? Where have you been deployed to?

I agree that it may reflect the vast majority of the time, but killing or being killed isn't a small detail.

No direct experience of the military, but I know what would be important considerations, if I were unfortunate enough to have limited options.
I agree that it may reflect the vast majority of the time, but killing or being killed isn't a small detail.

No direct experience of the military, but I know what would be important considerations, if I were unfortunate enough to have limited options.

So you've got no idea what you're talking about?

Thanks for admitting it.
So you've got no idea what you're talking about?

Read what I wrote.
Original post by threeportdrift
Errr, you mean it's not representing your priorities! Do you expect every car advert to point out you could crash and die? Should every Cadbury's advert show the dangers of getting obese through eating chocolate? You know that living is fatal right?

No. Crashing a car and dying is not the expected outcome of owning a car. Being a soldier, you should expect to shoot and be shot at - it's the basic purpose of the job. You obviously hope that you won't be needed to kill others, or be killed, but you do know that it's your role.

Latest