The Student Room Group

Postgraduate Loan and self-employment.

Hi,
If I start 1 year MSc. in September 2018, does it make any difference in getting a gov.uk postgraduate loan in the summer, if I stay self-employed right up till start in September (assuming my lowish earnings wouldn't be a problem) ? Would I be more likely to get the loan if I was on income JSA in the summer?
Cheers.
MB
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Hamstalot
Hi,
If I start 1 year MSc. in September 2018, does it make any difference in getting a gov.uk postgraduate loan in the summer, if I stay self-employed right up till start in September (assuming my lowish earnings wouldn't be a problem) ? Would I be more likely to get the loan if I was on income JSA in the summer?
Cheers.
MB

I dont believe they do any sort of income verification. You are either eligible or not. You can stay self employed through your course.

https://www.gov.uk/masters-loan/eligibility
Original post by Hamstalot
Hi,
Cheers.
MB

Hi there,

The Postgraduate loan is not means tested. Right now, the loan entitles you to any amount up to £10,609. You can take as much or as little of that £10,609 as you want regardless of other income.

However, a point worth remembering is that the DWP may take your postgraduate loan into account when calculating any benefits you receive - it is paid directly to you, so it counts as 'income' in that sense.

Hope this helps!

Fred - UEA PG Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending