The Student Room Group

Does attendance matter in Sixth Form?

Scroll to see replies

I've got 79% attendance - am top of my class and on course for A*A*A. Do what suits you, make sure you see your reference before you send your application off (you may need to make an FoI/ data protection act request if necessary) and then work with your reference writer from there.
What subjects are you taking

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by StevetheIcecube
Yes, it does matter. I know you want to take time off for revision, but you still have topics to cover in lessons and it's very important that you're in. I know someone who was kicked out with his last day being today because his attendance wasn't good enough. My advice would be to better manage your time at home so you have time for revision and lessons.

I agree
Reply 22
Original post by Michael_Fishy
I've got 79% attendance - am top of my class and on course for A*A*A. Do what suits you, make sure you see your reference before you send your application off (you may need to make an FoI/ data protection act request if necessary) and then work with your reference writer from there.
What subjects are you taking

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the advice. Knowing the teachers st my school though, even if I request them to leave the attendance out of the reference they'll still keep it there, and I can't choose any teacher I like to do my reference it has to be my form teacher. 😥I'm doing biology , chemistry and geography . I will definitely attend lessons such as biology and chem practicals and whenever the class is being taught by the few decent teachers I have lol.
Original post by Oragon
Thanks for the advice. Knowing the teachers st my school though, even if I request them to leave the attendance out of the reference they'll still keep it there, and I can't choose any teacher I like to do my reference it has to be my form teacher. 😥I'm doing biology , chemistry and geography . I will definitely attend lessons such as biology and chem practicals and whenever the class is being taught by the few decent teachers I have lol.

Well you've got a good few months to build a rapport with your form tutor I do OCR Biology to A2 so if you want any help there shoot me a PM
Reply 24
Original post by sameehaiqbal
They're not allowed to as that makes it a bad reference. Just make sure you don't get kicked out.

Of course they can give a bad reference, if they have evidence to back it up.

That said, @Oragon's 87% attendance isn't "bad" especialliy if they have legitimate reasons due to illness.

And to be clear, universities have no independent access to school attendence information.
Original post by jneill
Of course they can give a bad reference, if they have evidence to back it up.

That said, @Oragon's 87% attendance isn't "bad" especialliy if they have legitimate reasons due to illness.

And to be clear, universities have no independent access to school attendence information.

As far as I am aware, they're not allowed to give you a bad reference but they don't need to write a glowing one either. They can choose to leave out certain things like "the student works independantly" and that gives the university an impression that they probably don't. So they can't actually write a "bad" reference and every teacher would want their student to go to university. Maybe the teacher could say something like X student can work independantly and catch up on work when needed or something along those lines.
Reply 26
Original post by sameehaiqbal
As far as I am aware, they're not allowed to give you a bad reference but they don't need to write a glowing one either. They can choose to leave out certain things like "the student works independantly" and that gives the university an impression that they probably don't. So they can't actually write a "bad" reference and every teacher would want their student to go to university. Maybe the teacher could say something like X student can work independantly and catch up on work when needed or something along those lines.

They can write anything they have evidence for. If a pupil has been excluded they can mention that. If a pupil has very poor attendence they can mention it.

BUT they usually don't because it looks better for the school if their pupils progress to university.

There's no law to say they can't write a "bad" reference though.
What universities?
I’m interested in applying to oxbridge in September however my attendance is only 93% which according to my school is very low. However my predicted grades are A*A*A. Do you have to write attendance on your ucas application or is it only if your teachers mention it in your reference ( I am pretty confident they won’t.)
Whenever i forget to sign into a study time or a lesson, I get an email telling me to sort it out because of how important it is. Not sure what difference it makes as long as its above 80%
it depends where you're from - in northern ireland if your parents earn under a certain amount per year, you could be eligible for EMA (Education Maintenance Allowance). this means you basically get paid £30 a week for going to school, but if you miss more than 3 days (i think) then you lose that week's money. also, if you might have to repeat lower sixth, my school won't take back any pupil who gets below 80% attendance. i'd say your attendance does matter in the long term because your uni/employer might want to look at your reliability etc. and this could affect your chances of getting onto the course/job you want
Reply 31
Original post by Gemmgold
I’m interested in applying to oxbridge in September however my attendance is only 93% which according to my school is very low. However my predicted grades are A*A*A. Do you have to write attendance on your ucas application or is it only if your teachers mention it in your reference ( I am pretty confident they won’t.)

Oxbridge, and any university, wouldn't be concerned. And no you don't mention attendance on your application.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are you sure? How do you know?
Reply 33
Original post by Gemmgold
Are you sure? How do you know?

I'm sure.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34
Can you tell me ? What you neeed to do to go to sixth form ?
Reply 35
Hi

Quick Reply

Latest