The Student Room Group

How to lose weight and become good looking

Sorry if I am asking too many questions on this forum, but I need to talk to people, so here I am!

I am a 16 year old guy and have been overweight for several years. I am fed up with it and want to change, especially because I want to get a boyfriend in the not too distant future. I wouldn't want to date an overweight person, so ultimately I need to lose weight myself before putting myself on the market. In addition, I want to be good looking and generally attractive. I am worried that this may hold me back.

Does anyone have some tips?

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

join gym, get my fitness pal, track calories, eat healthy, work out regularly, the progress will be slow but steady but you'll see results

youre young, you have plenty of time to find a guy, focus on yourself, and school and the right guy will come along in no time!

good looking and attractive, idk its subjective, but it should help? Good luck! :smile:
Reply 2
Hi, I think you can try eat less and exercise more! Try some apps on your phone which teach you how to exercise effectively :smile:
My thoughts are to limit junk food intake to 1 item per day, and for select days in the week, to cut down to 2 meals per day. In addition, I am getting off the train one station early and walking a bit further to get to school.
Reply 4
Just saying that I think ur trying to lose weight for all the wrong reasons. Losing weight won’t make you find love or be happy. Losing weight to be healthy is the main thing, not to be more attractive. Also just bc ur overweight doesn’t mean you have to date an overweight person lol, I’m chubby and my boyfriend is slim / muscly and he loves my body!!! Someone will for you too.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Joe2001
My thoughts are to limit junk food intake to 1 item per day, and for select days in the week, to cut down to 2 meals per day. In addition, I am getting off the train one station early and walking a bit further to get to school.

first of all, cut down junk food all together. Don't skip meals, it doesn't help. Have 3 healthy but hearty meals. and exercise more. Speaking from experience :wink:
Original post by Fizzy98
Just saying that I think ur trying to lose weight for all the wrong reasons. Losing weight won’t make you find love or be happy. Losing weight to be healthy is the main thing, not to be more attractive.

I am using the concept of becoming more attractive as a motivator to lose weight more than anything else. Of course I am well aware of trying to become healthier, and will make an effort to do so.
Original post by CleverSquirrel
first of all, cut down junk food all together. Don't skip meals, it doesn't help. Have 3 healthy but hearty meals. and exercise more. Speaking from experience :wink:

With exams, it is quite tough to exercise when I am being mentally drained by studying. I personally detest things like running, or just sports in general, so that will be tough and is why I am looking more at the diet side of things. People keep buying me junk food though, although I am going to start declining it.

As for skipping meals, I don't eat breakfast at weekends or holidays, and I have considered only having a sandwich at lunch to get enough energy for the afternoon classes at school. There was even one day where I didn't eat lunch (2 weeks ago) but I quickly decided against doing that again.
(edited 6 years ago)
Nobody can become good-looking. Such a notion is not merely ludicrous—it's inherently erroneous, also.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Fizzy98
Also just bc ur overweight doesn’t mean you have to date an overweight person lol Someone will for you too.

If I don't like what I see in the mirror, how will someone else like it?
Plus, I detest hypocrisy, and if I would not date an overweight person, then I shouldn't be putting myself out there whilst overweight either.
Original post by Less(e/o)n
Nobody can become good-looking. Such a notion is not merely ludicrous; it is inherently erroneous, also.

I have no chances if I don't try, do I? I can't see how I would be attractive to anyone in my current state.
Original post by Less(e/o)n
Nobody can become good-looking. Such a notion is not merely ludicrous; it is inherently erroneous, also.

yeh but the world we live in today says otherwise
I genuinely do want to be good looking. I have only been complemented on looks once in my life (about 3 years ago because of my long eyelashes). I think that there must be a way to be attractive, surely?
Sorry for the extremely long post I hope this helps. If you want any more info pm me

First off I agree with the above posts that you don’t need to be slim to be attractive and you don’t want to be losing weight for all the wrong reasons ... having an unhealthy mindset can push people into depression when they think they’re not achieving results. I’m sure your perfect just the way you are.

In terms of actually losing weight, I hope the below points help. I’m not in the best shape myself and I often lose my momentum due to university and work but I have done a shed load of reading.

Commonly there’s two types of weight management - weight loss or muscle building. Both differ. Obv I haven’t seen you so I cant comment but generally when you lose weight you lose muscle and then you need to bulk back up to maintain any muscle mass you have lost. If you have lots of “excess” body mass I’d suggest losing weight first and then bulking. If it’s the latter as in your weight is at an average state you can bulk and tone rather than losing weight and instead to maintain muscle.

It’s like 80% diet and 20% gym if your diet isn’t good but you exercise every day the results will not show and instead your muscle will build underneath your fat. Any form of cardio is great for weight loss. consider doing HIIT exercise so high intensity interval training. So for instance run at a high speed on the treadmill for a minute then bring it to an average speed for 30 secs and back up again. Personally I no longer like treadmill so I vary between jumping rope and bike variations. Again do HIIT. Also vary your training exercise. If you stick to something for too long you body will adapt to it and no longer be shocked. Concentrate on one muscle group a day. For instance arms and back one day. Legs another. Abs and cardio another. Plenty of apps to help show which exercises are great for what or will show you how to break your days.

Always use weights and resistance training. This will speed up progress as any loose fat will tone and build into muscle. Activate your muscles before doing anything to avoid injuries. Again various forms of this just find what suits you. So some people do drop sets. So this is when you do as many sets as you can do at a high weight then drop down to the lower weight and keep doing that. Personally I warm up with a lower weight and work up.

Do cardio last as this is scientifically proven to benefit you. By getting the harder weights in first of means you retain momentum rather than burning out after running on a treadmill.

DIET - this doesn’t mean eat nothing. If your bulking it’s better to eat smaller more regular meals i.e 5-6 small meals a day. If weight loss 3 meals a day but proportionate sizes. So 1/4 if your plate is protein. 1/4 starchy fats and the remaining veg. Look into superfoods such as quinoa. Small in fat but fill you up more so you eat less. Grill chicken as opposed to frying. Take protein shakes I recommended my protein. I’m sure they do Student discount aswell they have various flavours and differ for guys and girls. Don’t buy pills they don’t work and are just placebos

Keep a healthy mindset. I take my wireless headphones with me and have a gym playlist. Take a partner it helps. Just remember if you have a lot of fat mass for your body the results will show quicker and easier as opposed to having little to no body fat resulting in a harder progression rate. If you join a gym they usually have machines which monitor your progression. If you put in your weight and height it’ll work out your mass and fat percentages so you know where you stand. Gyms not for everyone so go out and do alternatives if this is you. Boxing and football for instance.

Hope this helps x
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by rhussain1
Sorry for the extremely long post I hope this helps. If you want any more info pm me

First off I agree with the above posts that you don’t need to be slim to be attractive and you don’t want to be losing weight for all the wrong reasons ... having an unhealthy mindset can push people into depression when they think they’re not achieving results. I’m sure your perfect just the way you are.

In terms of actually losing weight, I hope the below points help. I’m not in the best shape myself and I often lose my momentum due to university and work but I have done a shed load of reading.

Commonly there’s two types of weight management - weight loss or muscle building. Both differ. Obv I haven’t seen you so I cant comment but generally when you lose weight you lose muscle and then you need to bulk back up to maintain any muscle mass you have lost. If you have lots of “excess” body mass I’d suggest losing weight first and then bulking. If it’s the latter as in your weight is at an average state you can bulk and tone rather than losing weight and instead to maintain muscle.

It’s like 80% diet and 20% gym if your diet isn’t good but you exercise every day the results will not show and instead your muscle will build underneath your fat. Any form of cardio is great for weight loss. consider doing HIIT exercise so high intensity interval training. So for instance run at a high speed on the treadmill for a minute then bring it to an average speed for 30 secs and back up again. Personally I no longer like treadmill so I vary between jumping rope and bike variations. Again do HIIT. Also vary your training exercise. If you stick to something for too long you body will adapt to it and no longer be shocked. Concentrate on one muscle group a day. For instance arms and back one day. Legs another. Abs and cardio another. Plenty of apps to help show which exercises are great for what or will show you how to break your days.

Always use weights and resistance training. This will speed up progress as any loose fat will tone and build into muscle. Activate your muscles before doing anything to avoid injuries. Again various forms of this just find what suits you. So some people do drop sets. So this is when you do as many sets as you can do at a high weight then drop down to the lower weight and keep doing that. Personally I warm up with a lower weight and work up.

Do cardio last as this is scientifically proven to benefit you. By getting the harder weights in first of means you retain momentum rather than burning out after running on a treadmill.

DIET - this doesn’t mean eat nothing. If your bulking it’s better to eat smaller more regular meals i.e 5-6 small meals a day. If weight loss 3 meals a day but proportionate sizes. So 1/4 if your plate is protein. 1/4 starchy fats and the remaining veg. Look into superfoods such as quinoa. Small in fat but fill you up more so you eat less. Grill chicken as opposed to frying. Take protein shakes I recommended my protein. I’m sure they do Student discount aswell they have various flavours and differ for guys and girls. Don’t buy pills they don’t work and are just placebos

Keep a healthy mindset. I take my wireless headphones with me and have a gym playlist. Take a partner it helps. Just remember if you have a lot of fat mass for your body the results will show quicker and easier as opposed to having little to no body fat resulting in a harder progression rate. If you join a gym they usually have machines which monitor your progression. If you put in your weight and height it’ll work out your mass and fat percentages so you know where you stand. Gyms not for everyone so go out and do alternatives if this is you. Boxing and football for instance.

Hope this helps x

Thanks for your tips. I will give them a go. :smile:
What about becoming attractive? How do I improve my looks and be as good looking as I can? Ultimately I want to feel attractive. Personality isn't enough for me, and even then, I am a bit introvert anyway.
Deleted.
(edited 6 years ago)
Bumping this one. I'm happy with the advice on losing weight, but surely there is a way to become more attractive? Gay men have high standards. Does anyone have tips on how to become good looking and attract others? I will never find love without being good looking, especially not in the gay community.
(edited 6 years ago)
Just make sure that you look after yourself, moisturise all over and keep your facial hair trimmed etc.
Original post by Anonymous
Just make sure that you look after yourself, moisturise all over and keep your facial hair trimmed etc.

I already do all of those things, and am still not attractive. I will be rejected by gay guys with my current looks.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending