The Student Room Group

Do pocket squares and french cuffs look pretentious?

Just been thinking about sixth form attire for next year (I'm a guy and the dress code is just a suit). I go to a mixed state school (probably worth mentioning its in a relatively wealthy area and is about as private as state schools get), and was wondering if wearing french cuffs and pocket squares would make me look like a knob. I often get made fun of about coming from a comparatively wealthy family, and want to be a little sensitive about this. However I also want to look fly af. Atm I imagine this would be true about pocket squares, but french cuffs and cufflinks would be okay? What do you think?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by George____t
Just been thinking about sixth form attire for next year (I'm a guy and the dress code is just a suit). I go to a mixed state school (probably worth mentioning its in a relatively wealthy area and is about as private as state schools get), and was wondering if wearing french cuffs and pocket squares would make me look like a knob. I often get made fun of about coming from a comparatively wealthy family, and want to be a little sensitive about this. However I also want to look fly af. Atm I imagine this would be true about pocket squares, but french cuffs and cufflinks would be okay? What do you think?

just ask yourself "what would Mr Rees Mogg do ?"

:h:
Original post by the bear
just ask yourself "what would mr rees mogg do ?"

:h

don't you dare compare me to that beast
Sorry, that was supposed to be all caps. It seems a little more sincere and threatening now. That works too.
don't you dare compare me to that beast

J-Dogg is a sharp dresser tho'

https://secure.i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02790/jacob-rees-mogg_2790744b.jpg

I'm not sure if dressing like 'J-Dogg' is the way to achieve a sense of pretentiouslessness in a state school haha
I don’t even know what pocket squares or French cuffs are. What other shape is a pocket? Are cufflinks really everyday wear? I thought people only got cufflinks out at weddings. You’ll probably be fine though.
I'm not sure if dressing like 'J-Dogg' is the way to achieve a sense of pretentiouslessness in a state school haha

well if you want to blend in dress like this:

https://farm2.static.flickr.com/1022/1424335045_409ccb1359_b.jpg
well if you want to blend in dress like this:

https://farm2.static.flickr.com/1022/1424335045_409ccb1359_b.jpg

*puts head in hands*
just ask yourself "what would Mr Rees Mogg do ?"

:h:

What? You mean denounce homosexuality and abortion as abominations and immoral acts? :wink:
Original post by trou_noir
I don’t even know what pocket squares or French cuffs are. What other shape is a pocket? Are cufflinks really everyday wear? I thought people only got cufflinks out at weddings. You’ll probably be fine though.

Omg hahaha. I'm glad you know whats going on. French cuffs are the cuffs on the shirts you would wear with cufflinks - where the cuff folds back. A pocket square is just a pocket handkerchief - it goes in the breast pocket.
Pocket squares will make you look eccentric if you're under 21 or so.

Double cuffs are pretty standard nowadays, but the wrong cuflinks can make you look like a real loser. Also, metal ones can be really noisy on a desk.

But if you are going for ultimate VI Form swag, don't wear a suit. Do the pocket square and double cuffs - but also try cords, a single breasted velvet jacket, and alternate between a bow tie and a cravate.
Original post by Trinculo

Double cuffs are pretty standard nowadays, but the wrong cuflinks can make you look like a real loser. Also, metal ones can be really noisy on a desk.

But if you are going for ultimate VI Form swag, don't wear a suit. Do the pocket square and double cuffs - but also try cords, a single breasted velvet jacket, and alternate between a bow tie and a cravate.

That's what I figured for pocket squares.

What do you mean by the wrong cuff links?

Your last paragraph made me chuckle.
Yh, we're supposed to wear suits. Ok I'll stay away from the pocket square. Alright for prom tho? You might be right about the french cuffs as well.

I would like to think that its not so much insecurity about my appearance, but more my enjoyment of getting to chose my clothes each day, having been stuck in a uniform for the last 12 years. I would quite like to stand out to an extent, and may wear a Christmas tie occasionally in December for a laugh, but I don't want to come across as having put too much effort into it (and no, the irony is not lost on me).
That's what I figured for pocket squares.

What do you mean by the wrong cuff links?

Your last paragraph made me chuckle.

Do a google search for "douchebag cufflinks"
Do a google search for "douchebag cufflinks"

I am embarrassed to say that I would not know them if I saw them.

https://www.johnlewis.com/ted-baker-preshus-rectangle-cufflinks-blue/p1707828

I was thinking of buying these for prom and other relatively formal occasions. Are these douchey?

You'll probably look fine. If it's a wealthy area then I'd imagine quite a few boys will be dressing pretty smart with nice watches and nice cufflinks. I don't think there's anything wrong with french cuffs and cufflinks, they're pretty standard and not particularly noticeable anyway. I don't remember many people wearing pocket squares day to day at my school though. Only really for bigger events and formal dinners.
Omg hahaha. I'm glad you know whats going on. French cuffs are the cuffs on the shirts you would wear with cufflinks - where the cuff folds back. A pocket square is just a pocket handkerchief - it goes in the breast pocket.

Oh right! Lol. Well if suits are part of the uniform then cufflinks should be fine. Not sure about the pocket handkerchief thing though. You could surely pick your ties and shirts though right?
I am embarrassed to say that I would not know them if I saw them.

https://www.johnlewis.com/ted-baker-preshus-rectangle-cufflinks-blue/p1707828

I was thinking of buying these for prom and other relatively formal occasions. Are these douchey?

Yes. Everything Ted Baker is douchey.

If you go on Ebay and look up "vintage cufflinks" you'll see loads of items under £10 which are infinitely more sophisticated at a fraction of the cost.

With cufflinks, you want understated and nothing with someone's name on it - you don't want to look like an estate agent.

As a very young person - under 18, you're always going to be treading a tightrope if you're going for sartorial elegance. You need to be above both the estate agent look and also away from the suited fedora man.

i think this outfit is rather jolly:

https://www.rionefontana.com/c/913-category/summer-dandy-outfit-uomo-primavera-estate-2017.jpg

Quick Reply

Latest