The Student Room Group

Oxford accommodation

for someone who will become one of the freshers in this october, does he/she need to apply for oxford accommodation or will we get given one automatically? I have been struggling to find the form where I should complete in order to apply for an oxford accommodation
For the University of Oxford or Oxford Brookes University...?

For the former, students will (in pretty much every case I can see) live in college for their first year. I'm not sure the method by which students are "allocated" rooms (you may be able to indicate a preference for a higher or lower rent room, which will correspondingly be larger/nicer or more average usually) as I think it varies between colleges anyway. However regardless of this format, all students will be able to take up a room in college in the first year, as far as I can tell - whether this can be continued throughout the course or if they have to "live out" in second/other years seems to vary.

At Oxford Brookes, I don't know but I assume it's similar to other universities where after you'll apply for halls of residence after you accept and achieve their offer (this applies to an extent to Oxford as well - you will make any indication of preferences in accommodation after results, normally). Typically students look for private accommodation after first year, although you can apply for halls again normally (often priority is given to mature students and international students in this case).
I was talking about Oxford University instead of Brooks. I tried to find out any relevant dates to which we can perhaps apply for accommodation or even maybe put down our preferences, but I found nothing really useful. So i was thinking maybe everyone who gets in eventually will be automatically be allocated without the student signing up or applying for accommodation or something idk. It honestly looks very vague from the website
Original post by artful_lounger
For the University of Oxford or Oxford Brookes University...?

For the former, students will (in pretty much every case I can see) live in college for their first year. I'm not sure the method by which students are "allocated" rooms (you may be able to indicate a preference for a higher or lower rent room, which will correspondingly be larger/nicer or more average usually) as I think it varies between colleges anyway. However regardless of this format, all students will be able to take up a room in college in the first year, as far as I can tell - whether this can be continued throughout the course or if they have to "live out" in second/other years seems to vary.

At Oxford Brookes, I don't know but I assume it's similar to other universities where after you'll apply for halls of residence after you accept and achieve their offer (this applies to an extent to Oxford as well - you will make any indication of preferences in accommodation after results, normally). Typically students look for private accommodation after first year, although you can apply for halls again normally (often priority is given to mature students and international students in this case).
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Iconic_panda
for someone who will become one of the freshers in this october, does he/she need to apply for oxford accommodation or will we get given one automatically? I have been struggling to find the form where I should complete in order to apply for an oxford accommodation

What does your college website say about accommodation?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I clicked the accommodation section of my college and it only described what the accommodation is like in that college, no mentions on when and how to apply for it. Although it did say something on the line of 'all first year undergrads will live in the room on the main site.'
Original post by ageshallnot
What does your college website say about accommodation?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Iconic_panda
I clicked the accommodation section of my college and it only described what the accommodation is like in that college, no mentions on when and how to apply for it. Although it did say something on the line of 'all first year undergrads will live in the room on the main site.'

Some sites are less informative than others! Your best bet is to email or phone and ask directly.
yeah thats true, thank you for the advice :smile:
Original post by ageshallnot
Some sites are less informative than others! Your best bet is to email or phone and ask directly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending