The Student Room Group

Help please...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Message me on my profile if you don't want to say on here as I could delete or make a chat just us two don't mind up to u
Okay first up:
1) don’t catfish her like someone suggested. Tricking her into thinking you’re someone else isn’t going to make her trust you or like you. 0/10 worst advice ever.
2) don’t keep trying with this girl, she’s made clear that she’s not interested and feels uncomfortable. Keeping trying only makes her uncomfortable and you more wrapped up in this fantasy.

I know how you feel, I’ve had feelings with a version of the person that I had in my head. Getting over the imaginary them that I loved was much more difficult than not seeing the actual person anymore. All of the “what ifs” and things you’ve lived in your mind are hard to get over, since you never got the closure of doing them. I can assure you that you aren’t the first person to feel this, and you will get past it. It’s just going to take some time.

My tip is every time she pops into your head, think about something else. It sounds silly but “changing the subject” as soon as she steps in is how you get through this. When I find myself starting to think of that guy, I actively think of something else. Anything at all that will distract you. You like Michael Jackson right? Imagine you’re at a concert, or that you have the chance to meet him.

Physically distracting yourself is good too, if you can’t get her out of your head start doing something that requires a lot of focus and mental energy. Something difficult or something you enjoy.

The trick is to realise that it will take time for this feeling to go away, and dwelling in it isn’t going to speed it up. In a few years you’ll look back and wonder why you were so worried, so wrapped up in her. You just have to accept that it’s done, and let those parts of her in your mind move from the front to the back, and then out the mind completely.
Reply 42
Original post by cat_mac
Okay first up:
1) don’t catfish her like someone suggested. Tricking her into thinking you’re someone else isn’t going to make her trust you or like you. 0/10 worst advice ever.
2) don’t keep trying with this girl, she’s made clear that she’s not interested and feels uncomfortable. Keeping trying only makes her uncomfortable and you more wrapped up in this fantasy.

I know how you feel, I’ve had feelings with a version of the person that I had in my head. Getting over the imaginary them that I loved was much more difficult than not seeing the actual person anymore. All of the “what ifs” and things you’ve lived in your mind are hard to get over, since you never got the closure of doing them. I can assure you that you aren’t the first person to feel this, and you will get past it. It’s just going to take some time.

My tip is every time she pops into your head, think about something else. It sounds silly but “changing the subject” as soon as she steps in is how you get through this. When I find myself starting to think of that guy, I actively think of something else. Anything at all that will distract you. You like Michael Jackson right? Imagine you’re at a concert, or that you have the chance to meet him.

Physically distracting yourself is good too, if you can’t get her out of your head start doing something that requires a lot of focus and mental energy. Something difficult or something you enjoy.

The trick is to realise that it will take time for this feeling to go away, and dwelling in it isn’t going to speed it up. In a few years you’ll look back and wonder why you were so worried, so wrapped up in her. You just have to accept that it’s done, and let those parts of her in your mind move from the front to the back, and then out the mind completely.

How did you know I love Michael Jackson? I find that when my friends talk badly of him/talk about plastic surgery, skin colour and children, I forget about her a bit (although I get really annoyed and start teaching my friends about Michael, at which point they stop). At the moment, I just sit at my Laptop staring at her profile picture and thinking about her whilst listening to Michael. Thanks for taking the time to write/type/post such a long reply. Could you give me some examples of things I can do to distract myself?
Ask her out in case she's changed her mind. Or forget
Her, must be many fit girls you'd like to bang in school
Reply 44
Original post by SMEGGGY
Ask her out in case she's changed her mind. Or forget
Her, must be many fit girls you'd like to bang in school

She isn't the fittest girl but she's not bad looking but there is something (idk what) that I like about her. I don't really like any of the others
Original post by Baza2002
She isn't the fittest girl but she's not bad looking but there is something (idk what) that I like about her. I don't really like any of the others

You ever speak to her? Sometimes if you're friends it helps, and the other person may like your personality
And end up falling for you. It happens mate so fingers 🤞
Reply 46
Original post by SMEGGGY
You ever speak to her? Sometimes if you're friends it helps, and the other person may like your personality
And end up falling for you. It happens mate so fingers 🤞

Never spoken to her... (but my friends are friends with her friends)
Never spoken to her... (but my friends are friends with her friends)

Well ****ing change that bro!
Reply 48
Original post by SMEGGGY
Well ****ing change that bro!

how?
How did you know I love Michael Jackson? I find that when my friends talk badly of him/talk about plastic surgery, skin colour and children, I forget about her a bit (although I get really annoyed and start teaching my friends about Michael, at which point they stop). At the moment, I just sit at my Laptop staring at her profile picture and thinking about her whilst listening to Michael. Thanks for taking the time to write/type/post such a long reply. Could you give me some examples of things I can do to distract myself?

I remembered you mentioned it in another post!
I’d definitely stop looking at her social media. I actually unfollowed my guy on facebook so he wouldn’t pop up unexpectedly, sometimes you just need to avoid them at all costs so you can mentally detox.

What distracts you really depends on what can occupy all of your thoughts, I like to binge watch tv shows and mentally immerse myself in their lives, once I watch a few episodes of something really engaging I can forget about whats happening in my reality. Maybe try something new, something you wouldn’t normally think of doing. School work is a more boring (but much more productive) way of distracting yourself, which can be very good at occupying your brain power!

Keep trying and you’ll find something that works for you, just avoid falling back into old patterns of checking up on her. Good luck! :console:
how?

Go up to make small talk? You never spoken to a girl?
Reply 51
Original post by SMEGGGY
Go up to make small talk? You never spoken to a girl?

no. I've never spoken to a female outside of my family...
Reply 52
Original post by cat_mac
I remembered you mentioned it in another post!
I’d definitely stop looking at her social media. I actually unfollowed my guy on facebook so he wouldn’t pop up unexpectedly, sometimes you just need to avoid them at all costs so you can mentally detox.

What distracts you really depends on what can occupy all of your thoughts, I like to binge watch tv shows and mentally immerse myself in their lives, once I watch a few episodes of something really engaging I can forget about whats happening in my reality. Maybe try something new, something you wouldn’t normally think of doing. School work is a more boring (but much more productive) way of distracting yourself, which can be very good at occupying your brain power!

Keep trying and you’ll find something that works for you, just avoid falling back into old patterns of checking up on her. Good luck! :console:

I find talking to people distracts me because I have to focus on the conversation... but I don't have many people to talk to.
Reply 53
We are all here for u to understand what hobbies do you like doing
Eg:
Football
Reading
Watching movies
Listening to music
These could all like help
This is what I do when I need a distraction but them might help u but just remember that we are here to support u and to help.
Reply 54
Original post by KimNoel
We are all here for u to understand what hobbies do you like doing
Eg:
Football
Reading
Watching movies
Listening to music
These could all like help
This is what I do when I need a distraction but them might help u but just remember that we are here to support u and to help.

Thanks... everything you listed there are my hobbies (I also like gaming and eating). The only things that seem to distract me though are talking and playing football.
Reply 55
Hi guys have you sorted the problem out sorry I haven't been on but I have had so much to do for my exams
Reply 56
Original post by KimNoel
Hi guys have you sorted the problem out sorry I haven't been on but I have had so much to do for my exams

sort of I still like her but I'm no longer upset or feeling empty because I'm just trying not to think of her. thanks. how are you?
Reply 57
Stressed no not really but been sky high with homework and revision for my exams in May
Reply 58
Have you heard of shawn MENDES new song "in my blood" if you haven't you need to and how's you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending