The Student Room Group

King Edward VI Camp Hill 2018

Scroll to see replies

Make sure you know why you want to study your subjects, as they will ask you this at the interview stage.
Original post by korosensei
I didn't apply to Camp Hill but I'm not sure if I should've. My family doesn't like the idea of a boys school. Yet, I hear that the sixth form facilities are shared which makes it really confusing...

A shared building is split in half for the main school and the sixth form building is bottom floor boys, top floor girls. I know a few classes at A Level can be taught co-ed; apparently politics was and computer science definitely will be. So yeah I assume the guys and girls will encounter one another a fair bit for a single sex school 😂
I’m sure you’ll get into your chosen place.
Original post by Conniestitution
A shared building is split in half for the main school and the sixth form building is bottom floor boys, top floor girls. I know a few classes at A Level can be taught co-ed; apparently politics was and computer science definitely will be. So yeah I assume the guys and girls will encounter one another a fair bit for a single sex school 😂
I’m sure you’ll get into your chosen place.
I'm doing A Level Computer Science lol, what I might do is ask their sixth form if any girls applied for CS on results day.
I'm doing A Level Computer Science lol, what I might do is ask their sixth form if any girls applied for CS on results day.

It’s so undersubscribed by girls. My school isn’t too bad, one class is about 12:18 girls and boys but the other is 2:15. I don’t get why more people don’t do it tbh, good careers through it (I got an 8 last mock but it doesn’t fit my career path 😂)

I know a lot of kids doing CompSci there already have an AS by y11 so do their A2 in year 12 and then take 3 other subjects through to the final year for 4.
It’s so undersubscribed by girls. My school isn’t too bad, one class is about 12:18 girls and boys but the other is 2:15. I don’t get why more people don’t do it tbh, good careers through it (I got an 8 last mock but it doesn’t fit my career path 😂)

I know a lot of kids doing CompSci there already have an AS by y11 so do their A2 in year 12 and then take 3 other subjects through to the final year for 4.

Isn't it the new spec A Level so no more AS?
I really, really really like CS. But I'm wondering if going to a grammar would even make a difference compared to going somewhere like Solihull.
Isn't it the new spec A Level so no more AS?
I really, really really like CS. But I'm wondering if going to a grammar would even make a difference compared to going somewhere like Solihull.

The subjects I’m applying for at KECHG have an AS option to take and drop it. It’s part of the reason I want to go, so I can try 4.

My ex goes to ssfc and does computer science. They do C++. He’s doing absolutely fine and he’s pretty smart and taking it at Uni. They have a rudimentary system for Oxbridge applicants and they had 7 successful ones last year but it’s more specific in grammars. It makes more of a difference in reputation I guess.

Also the grammars have a school environment whereas ssfc is a freer college environment with sixth form lessons. Depends on what you work best in.
Has anyone had an interview for the boys school yet?
Original post by Hopefulone1
Has anyone had an interview for the boys school yet?

They’ve already done the first lot of interviews and they’re on final selections.
Reply 28
Only applied to handsworth grammar
They’ve already done the first lot of interviews and they’re on final selections.

oh so only applied on 30 january, so quite late...have heard nothing at all! Just an email confirmation re receipt. should i be worried?
oh so only applied on 30 january, so quite late...have heard nothing at all! Just an email confirmation re receipt. should i be worried?

I honestly don’t know but I’d follow up and send an email to ask I guess.

Yeah, that's fine i applied nearing the end of December in 2016 and found out i got in, around February/March 2017 time so dw.
Original post by lmaooome
Yeah, that's fine i applied nearing the end of December in 2016 and found out i got in, around February/March 2017 time so dw.

You go Camp Hill, right? What's it like compared to your last school?
You go Camp Hill, right? What's it like compared to your last school?

lol no, i got in after the interview stage and reached the minimum GCSE requirements but i got accepted elsewhere and i went there instead! However, my friends who do go there love it and enjoy their way of learning but it's a much more competitive atmosphere and the teachers expect you to have some level of independency over your work.
lol no, i got in after the interview stage and reached the minimum GCSE requirements but i got accepted elsewhere and i went there instead! However, my friends who do go there love it and enjoy their way of learning but it's a much more competitive atmosphere and the teachers expect you to have some level of independency over your work.

Thank you it’s good to know x

heard nothing, my mocks weren't great, so I guess a rejection letter is what to expect as they said we'd all know by the Easter break. I guess if that's the case, then last call for interviews will be this week or next.
heard nothing, my mocks weren't great, so I guess a rejection letter is what to expect as they said we'd all know by the Easter break. I guess if that's the case, then last call for interviews will be this week or next.

It’s honestly fine if you don’t get it! Camp hill isn’t a big deal, I’m sure you’ll do well elsewhere x
It’s honestly fine if you don’t get it! Camp hill isn’t a big deal, I’m sure you’ll do well elsewhere x

Cheers, I agree, there are some cool schools/colleges around.
Reply 38
Has anyone had their interview yet?? Mines on 14th March and three of my friends have had theirs. At the interview they give you a random picture and ask you to talk about it. For my friends they were whether social media isn’t good or not, brexit, and the third friend got a picture of two figures, which represent England and Germany, battered and bruise with bandages on them. I also know a girl who last year was given a picture of the nhs breaking down.
Original post by AAA16
Has anyone had their interview yet?? Mines on 14th March and three of my friends have had theirs. At the interview they give you a random picture and ask you to talk about it. For my friends they were whether social media isn’t good or not, brexit, and the third friend got a picture of two figures, which represent England and Germany, battered and bruise with bandages on them. I also know a girl who last year was given a picture of the nhs breaking down.

Mine is the 12th and thank you for the info! I’ll let you know how it goes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending