The Student Room Group

Got 4 rejections and will probably get a fifth, kinda lost about what to do.

Scroll to see replies

Can you teach? like a private tutor? I mean like subjects(of a lower level) that you do understand. It's going to be really helpful! Why? because that way you'll be able to memorize the stuffs that you tend to forget.

And the grades that you got aren't that bad REALLY! I mean as long as it'll get you to a college or a uni.

If you find it difficult socializing with people, then why don't you try socializing with people here or some other SNS like twitter etc. You might find people going through the same struggle.

Since I study Physics, I was wondering why you didn't pick Physics in your A levels(sorry but I'm kind of confused about your situation). Physics, Math, Chem and Computer! They are really good subjects which can get you a solid job in the future! P.S they are also fun to study!
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Anagogic
Incorrect, foundation year...

The OP really isn't a strong candidate....
Have you heard of ICS? You should look into it, it would be a great thing to do for a gap year, it'll make your year productive which i'm assuming is what you want! :smile:

https://www.vsointernational.org/volunteering/ICS-youth-volunteering
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Juvilation
What is a TEFL qualification, would it be worth it to acc know japanease first?

I have thought about doing animation but i rater just do it as a hobby.

TEFL is teaching English as a foreign language.

I think if you are going to live in a country you obviously want to speak the language- but in schools you would be a teacher's aide, only speaking to the class in English.
Original post by Science99999
The OP really isn't a strong candidate....

Foundation years are pretty flexible in terms of entry requirements, OP would be in a worse situation if they had bad grades in physics/maths.
Original post by SarcAndSpark
TEFL is teaching English as a foreign language.

I think if you are going to live in a country you obviously want to speak the language- but in schools you would be a teacher's aide, only speaking to the class in English.

Tnx, ill look into this
As you can read in the title, I've applied for ucas with 5 choices and have so far been rejected by 4 of them, the fifth hasn't replied but i'm kinda worried and convinced that I will get rejected by it as well.

Currently I am in year 13 and im studying Music Technology and BTEC Sports & Exercise Science. I did kinda *****y in my AS by getting D for Music overall, Failing sports science and getting a E in Politics, as a result I had to drop politics if I wanted to continue on to year 13. I enjoyed politics but during class I was completely baffled about what I was learning mainly cause I didn't ask my teachers for help. I kinda feel bad cause everyone else who didn't re-take they year kinda did well or okay and I go to a really good school where a bunch of them will probably end up in oxford or Cambridge, I'm also really antisocial and shy so cant really talk to many people about it as I find it really hard to talk to others about it.

When it came to deciding to choose what I wanted to in the future, I decided to go into Physics as during my GCSE's, Physics was probably my favourite subject, also I didn't enjoy Sports Science as mush as I hoped and while I did enjoy music, I didn't think it would be worth it as a career choice so I will probably just keep as a hobby when I leave college. One problem, I wasn't doing Physics A-Level because I ****ed my GCSE'S up only getting 1A in History so I couldn't do Physics in my sixth form, also I pretty much had forgotten everything from GCSE about physics so when it came to writing my statement it was a thousand times harder for me, I felt out of place and lonely. Thankfully I talked to my sister who helped me out and put me on track by talking to me about foundation year's for physics if you didn't have the right grades, with the advice and help that she gave me along with the help of some friends, I managed to write my personal statement in around an hour, I gave it to my ref, he gave me a few corrections and I submitted it (a week before the January Deadline lol)

A month and a bit has passed and here I am, with 4 rejections, no clear path for my future and a bundle of problems.

I have quite bad depression which started when I started sixth form, my mum was very unhappy with my results during GCSE's which were 1A 7B's & 1E (in RE lmao) in my book thats pretty good but for my mum thats not good enough, shes really into being an academic and anything that isn't considered academic or not many people do is not that good for her so I was constantly getting harassed by my mum about how I did which pissed me off but at the same time she thought I was cursed and it was not my fault which is really weird and confusing but anytime i questioned her about it she looked at me like i'm a fukin idiot. Apparently in her country this type of stuff is normal but yeah. In this situation I only had my Sister who could help me out but even then it didn't always help cause were also in a bit of a financial struggle and my mum hasn't had a job for a while through no fault of her own which makes her anger and frustration understandable but at the same time it just makes it harder to cope. Now currently it had just affected my overall motivation to work and take part in certain activities, I'm unable to revise as there is a thought at the back of my head that I'm just gonna fail and nothing good will come of this.

My sister has suggested that I go through clearing in the event that I don't get a uni spot but I just have this nagging doubt if i even will get a spot in a uni so i'm here to suggest any tips and advice and anyone else who may be going through the same thing I am.

In the even I don't get a place, I'm gonna have to take a gap year, can anyone suggest any jobs I should go for, not the typical MacDonald's job or restaurant waiter job as I have had my share of disappointments looking for one

I think you need to do a bit more research into physics, to find out if it's really something you want to commit a few years to, because choosing it on the basis of liking the GCSE isn't really enough. Have you read any popular physics books? They might give you a bit more knowledge about the subject.

Also how are you with maths? Because physics is basically applied maths, and if you don't like maths on its own, then you're probably going to lose motivation pretty quickly. A level maths and further maths give you a much better idea of what a physics degree's like than physics A level.
Reply 47

What grades do you expect to get at the end of this year? I got 5 rejections in the first year I applied despite good GCSEs and ASes. I ended up at UCL, so reapplying the next year during a gap year worked out for me. I also had a friend who had to retake an A-levels during her gap - she then went to LSE. Taking a Gap year isn't the end of the world and it might work in your favour - applying with good grades in hand will put you in a stronger position.

Universities might have an issue with the fact that you are only taking 2 subjects - if you end up reapplying next year, it might be worth taking some additional ones, particularly ones that are science or maths related.
Original post by sindyscape62
I think you need to do a bit more research into physics, to find out if it's really something you want to commit a few years to, because choosing it on the basis of liking the GCSE isn't really enough. Have you read any popular physics books? They might give you a bit more knowledge about the subject.

Also how are you with maths? Because physics is basically applied maths, and if you don't like maths on its own, then you're probably going to lose motivation pretty quickly. A level maths and further maths give you a much better idea of what a physics degree's like than physics A level.

I know it will be a bit harder since i'm not doing A level Maths or Physics but I still want to try, even if it means more research, something I am already sick to death of but I did enjoy maths when I was doing it but now I'm completely rusty.
Original post by Ropucha
What grades do you expect to get at the end of this year? I got 5 rejections in the first year I applied despite good GCSEs and ASes. I ended up at UCL, so reapplying the next year during a gap year worked out for me. I also had a friend who had to retake an A-levels during her gap - she then went to LSE. Taking a Gap year isn't the end of the world and it might work in your favour - applying with good grades in hand will put you in a stronger position.

Universities might have an issue with the fact that you are only taking 2 subjects - if you end up reapplying next year, it might be worth taking some additional ones, particularly ones that are science or maths related.

How long did it take for your friend to re-take her A-levels, did she go to a special/private college to do it?
Reply 50
How long did it take for your friend to re-take her A-levels, did she go to a special/private college to do it?

She went to a private college and did it in one year. I think you can do it at a normal college though!

I agree with the person above that you should consider seriously whether physics is for you. A friend at UCL had chosen the physics course for the intellectual prestige - but wasn't much good at it and graduated with a 3rd!
Original post by Ropucha
She went to a private college and did it in one year. I think you can do it at a normal college though!

I agree with the person above that you should consider seriously whether physics is for you. A friend at UCL had chosen the physics course for the intellectual prestige - but wasn't much good at it and graduated with a 3rd!

I might look into it, I don't really care much for any form of ceremonial title, I want to do it cause it seems interesting but I guess I will have to do some research
Reply 52
Try UCAS extra maybe? If you get 5 rejections or decline all of your offers you can pay like £18 to apply to another Uni
Original post by Ad283
Try UCAS extra maybe? If you get 5 rejections or decline all of your offers you can pay like £18 to apply to another Uni

Wait, you can only reply to 1 other uni?
Reply 54
Well through UCAS extra it’s a service that like opens in May, my School mentioned it and you can apply to another Uni if you didn’t get any offers
Reply 55
And don’t worry about year 12 exams, I completely flunked, got BEEU so worse than you lol, hoping to turn it around and I applied to a course that like needs AAB even tho my predicted grades were BCC
As you can read in the title, I've applied for ucas with 5 choices and have so far been rejected by 4 of them, the fifth hasn't replied but i'm kinda worried and convinced that I will get rejected by it as well.

Currently I am in year 13 and im studying Music Technology and BTEC Sports & Exercise Science. I did kinda *****y in my AS by getting D for Music overall, Failing sports science and getting a E in Politics, as a result I had to drop politics if I wanted to continue on to year 13. I enjoyed politics but during class I was completely baffled about what I was learning mainly cause I didn't ask my teachers for help. I kinda feel bad cause everyone else who didn't re-take they year kinda did well or okay and I go to a really good school where a bunch of them will probably end up in oxford or Cambridge, I'm also really antisocial and shy so cant really talk to many people about it as I find it really hard to talk to others about it.

When it came to deciding to choose what I wanted to in the future, I decided to go into Physics as during my GCSE's, Physics was probably my favourite subject, also I didn't enjoy Sports Science as mush as I hoped and while I did enjoy music, I didn't think it would be worth it as a career choice so I will probably just keep as a hobby when I leave college. One problem, I wasn't doing Physics A-Level because I ****ed my GCSE'S up only getting 1A in History so I couldn't do Physics in my sixth form, also I pretty much had forgotten everything from GCSE about physics so when it came to writing my statement it was a thousand times harder for me, I felt out of place and lonely. Thankfully I talked to my sister who helped me out and put me on track by talking to me about foundation year's for physics if you didn't have the right grades, with the advice and help that she gave me along with the help of some friends, I managed to write my personal statement in around an hour, I gave it to my ref, he gave me a few corrections and I submitted it (a week before the January Deadline lol)

A month and a bit has passed and here I am, with 4 rejections, no clear path for my future and a bundle of problems.

I have quite bad depression which started when I started sixth form, my mum was very unhappy with my results during GCSE's which were 1A 7B's & 1E (in RE lmao) in my book thats pretty good but for my mum thats not good enough, shes really into being an academic and anything that isn't considered academic or not many people do is not that good for her so I was constantly getting harassed by my mum about how I did which pissed me off but at the same time she thought I was cursed and it was not my fault which is really weird and confusing but anytime i questioned her about it she looked at me like i'm a fukin idiot. Apparently in her country this type of stuff is normal but yeah. In this situation I only had my Sister who could help me out but even then it didn't always help cause were also in a bit of a financial struggle and my mum hasn't had a job for a while through no fault of her own which makes her anger and frustration understandable but at the same time it just makes it harder to cope. Now currently it had just affected my overall motivation to work and take part in certain activities, I'm unable to revise as there is a thought at the back of my head that I'm just gonna fail and nothing good will come of this.

My sister has suggested that I go through clearing in the event that I don't get a uni spot but I just have this nagging doubt if i even will get a spot in a uni so i'm here to suggest any tips and advice and anyone else who may be going through the same thing I am.

In the even I don't get a place, I'm gonna have to take a gap year, can anyone suggest any jobs I should go for, not the typical MacDonald's job or restaurant waiter job as I have had my share of disappointments looking for one

A couple of things to consider:
1. Check out How To Beast's YouTube channel, you may find some things on there which may help your confidence.
2. Don't let your mother guide your life. Her problems and issues are hers, not yours, so don't let her bring you down like this. If you try to appease her it will make you miserable and will sap your confidence. When it comes to your life you've gotta just follow your passions and see where they lead you. What is the one thing you could happily do all day every day if you could? Figure out how to make a career out of that (Gary Vaynerchuk's Crush It! may help with this). Look into this.
3. Rejection is a factor of life, every single person has to deal with it, do not let it stop you from experimenting, trying new things or trying things again. if you give up, nothing will change. Sure it sucks, but you've gotta be willing to take chances. For every success there's been a million failures before it. That's what life's about. Accept it and get on with it.
All of this is hard, but if you learn to accept life how it is and learn to move on forward regardless then nothing will stop you. I hope this helps.

Regards
Original post by Ad283
And don’t worry about year 12 exams, I completely flunked, got BEEU so worse than you lol, hoping to turn it around and I applied to a course that like needs AAB even tho my predicted grades were BCC

Okay, tnx
Original post by KieranAdam
A couple of things to consider:
1. Check out How To Beast's YouTube channel, you may find some things on there which may help your confidence.
2. Don't let your mother guide your life. Her problems and issues are hers, not yours, so don't let her bring you down like this. If you try to appease her it will make you miserable and will sap your confidence. When it comes to your life you've gotta just follow your passions and see where they lead you. What is the one thing you could happily do all day every day if you could? Figure out how to make a career out of that (Gary Vaynerchuk's Crush It! may help with this). Look into this.
3. Rejection is a factor of life, every single person has to deal with it, do not let it stop you from experimenting, trying new things or trying things again. if you give up, nothing will change. Sure it sucks, but you've gotta be willing to take chances. For every success there's been a million failures before it. That's what life's about. Accept it and get on with it.
All of this is hard, but if you learn to accept life how it is and learn to move on forward regardless then nothing will stop you. I hope this helps.

Regards

Tnx for the advice
Reply 59
Okay, so reading over the thread there are several things jumping out at me, and I've been in some similar situations myself, so might be able to give some advice.

1 - The issues with your mum. I know right now the main thing you want to do is get out of a toxic household, and I can understand that as it's something I've been trying to do for the last 3-4 years (and finally have managed). But going to uni isn't going to solve this problem. Don't go just because it's a chance to get away and start somewhere new; that's entirely the wrong reason to be going to university. Have you tried sitting down and discussing this with her, maybe getting some careers advice people to go over things with you both? As hard as it is to get away from parental expectations, you need to pay no heed to what she wants, and do what is best for you.

2 - Work Experience. You don't know what you want to do with your life? Work experience. Look into sectors you're interested in - research, lab work, technician jobs, engineering jobs, something completely out-there - and try and get work experience in it. Try different things, see if anything clicks. You may not get paid for it, but a day or two trying out different things is a) a great way to meet new people, and b) a great way to get an idea of what things you might be interested in. Because, as people have said, liking GCSE physics is a completely different ballpark to working in a materials research lab or doing engineering.

3 - Take some time out. It sucks. Believe me, I know. I was only there for 2-3 months of my AS Levels, after dropping 2 of them, due to illness. Then I moved college, and it still took me several attempts to get the grades I needed. But, I got them. I'm not happy it took that long, but the point is I kept at it until I got through it. If that meant taking a year-long break, I did it. If it meant swallowing humble pie and accepting that my friends will be in the last year before I even start, then so be it. It's hard, but don't get wrapped up in the timing of things. There is no maximum age for when you go to uni - there are people even on courses like medicine who decided in their 40s to have a change of career, so you undoubtedly will not be the oldest on your course while in your 20s. Other people will not give a damn, I promise. They're all too busy worrying about what they're doing with their lives to care whether you started uni at 18 or 38. That, and unis often look favourably on older applicants/mature students, as they have a lot more life experience, and have had longer to think about whether or not this is what they want to do. I've found there's a huge difference between the mindset of 18 y.o freshers, and maturer applicants: and I've picked that up just from interviews. Sometimes some time out to 'mature yourself' can do you a world of good, so that when you come back into things, you feel more confident in your decisions.

4 - Make a list of things you don't want to do. It's really hard to give any sort of careers or education advice when you haven't even said, really, what you aren't looking to do. If you don't know what you like, then surely there must be things you know you don't want to do, be that working with children/elderly/animals, artsy jobs, office jobs etc.

5 - Is physics really for you? Echoing what others have said in this thread: you're saying you like physics based on GCSE physics, but didn't take it at A Level, and are now applying to do a foundation degree in it at uni without really having experienced anything to do with it...? I'm not trying to put you off, but it sounds more like you like the idea of studying it, rather than actually studying it. You also said earlier in your thread that you're tired of doing research stuff - not sure whether you meant researching careers etc, or doing research tasks, but if it's the latter then a science subject really isn't going to be the most fun for you, as it's a lot of independent learning and research.
If you want to do physics A Level, I would suggest looking at another sixth form or college. You really don't need A/A* in it to start at AS. If it's something you want to do, go for it! :redface: You'll do much better at a subject if you enjoy it, I've found.

6 - Mental Health. I feel obliged to mention it any time someone is struggling during sixth form years, but have you spoken to a doctor or school counsellor about this? It's a good idea to flag up that you're feeling lost, apathetic, etc before things get too bad, as depression can be hard to shake once it has a hold. There's no shame or weakness in asking for help. I know it takes confidence, but it may well be worth your while just talking to someone about how you've been feeling. Getting it all out there and talking it through with someone may just help you see things a little clearer. Look after yourself. :smile:

7 - Forget Uni Prestige. I don't know exactly what courses you applied to, but aiming for STEM degrees with very little background in science (even a foundation degree) at top universities may be a little too much, especially when they may very well be able to pick up on the fact that you don't know what you want to do. You'll be more likely to get accepted on a course if you can show you've looked into the field, done some personal study around it etc. Which goes back to my earlier point, and something others have said, in that volunteering and work experience is invaluable.
Going to a non-top 30 uni doesn't mean you're not going to get anywhere. Make the most of the degree, make connections where you can, and work at it.

Another thing I want to work out is: what don't you like about apprenticeships? I can understand if you have a specific career in mind, and can't do it via apprenticeships, but you can get uni degrees through them, while obtaining valuable experience, and earning a salary, and if you're looking to get away from home and/or get qualifications this seems like a pretty sound idea, as you can start saving to move out while learning. You can start them from any level, really. Have you looked into any, or just dismissed them up front?

Edit:: Another thing I forgot to mention: have you considered doing some of the free courses through Open University just to get a taste of some topics that might interest you? You can do them in your own time, and while they don't lead to qualifications, at least you can say you've done them, which will help you find what you're into and also be something you can mention in a personal statement. At least then you can say you've snooped around!
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending